electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
I'm looking for an 80's drum sound.
Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
basheer400

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: I'm looking for an 80's drum sound. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi

I'm looking for an 80's drum sound.
the best I can describe this drum sound is: "drums that sound like thunder".

the same drum sound used in the following song:
http://geocities.com/u_shefi/the_cars-drive.mp3

I've tried a few drum machines but I got from those are standard "real" drum sound and all kind of freaky electronic sound.
I've tried playing with the Tom Tom or Snare sound, giving it a lot of reverb and playing with the attack and pitch but I just can't get it.

I have VST and can buy a certain VSTi if needed, I just need to find that sound, but basically all I need is a sample of one beat.
basheer400

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the avove probably doesn't work by now, here is the video clip:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LErWi4CVWOo
bigtex

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My guess would be to use the kind of gear in use at the time, or at least try to emulate it. Probably 8-bit drum samples run thruogh an 8-bit or 12-bit digital reverb. Gated reverb, especially, was popular for drum sounds in the 80s.
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had a quick listen and my gut reaction was that it's a "ballad" snare.
You can find 2 of them (tunable) on an Alesis SR16 or a Soundfont of it. They have a longer decay than the one the Cars used, but I'd put it through an EQ and then a Gate if you want to get it closer anyway.
While you're there check out the last drum in the SR16. It's called Impact. If you triggered both at the same time and then EQ/Gated I reckon it would be almost spot on.

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Drive was first released on the Heartbeat City LP from 1984 (?). It was produced by Robert John Mutt Lange. It soon became a major hit.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/A486489

The snare has been snuffed with some serious reverb and then gated. I reckon there might be some compression in here too and the untreated signal is possibly mixed with the wet signal as well. There seems to be a tad EQ on here too but I am not sure this is pre or post the reverb. Actually, I tend to think it was EQed some BOTH pre and post.. or rather off the tape that is.

As for budget devices with drumsamples, a lot of the sounds were clones of sounds made popular on recent hits.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It was not unusual to try the "1176 all buttons mode" on both snares and other drums. The "1176 all buttons mode" was also great for beefing up synthesized drums and sampled hits.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For some really "high end" authentic 80s sounds, try to google the PPG Waveterm samples collection. It should be downloadable from somewhere on the net, I am sure. There will be many drum hits in there as well as other stuff.
Trivia: I have recently found several tapes with my own tweaks on the PPG Waveterm samples. I might put together a collection of those sounds some day. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, here is a collection of some approx. 100 PPG Waveterm drum/perc sounds from the original Waveterm Sound Library.

Today these are laughable and embarassing, but with a little oldstyle processing you will suddenly recognize signature sounds from several well known hit records.

This was state of the art at the time. ( Approx 1984 )

Waveterm perc samples.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Waveterm perc samples.zip
 Filesize:  1.81 MB
 Downloaded:  246 Time(s)

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
opg

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey thanks - there were some nice toms and rides I liked in that collection.
Alexander

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great! thumb up

I like the sound of those samples, there's a lot of energy in some of them!

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I should try to make some sense of the old tapes. I have a lot of these perc samples and other PPG sounds processed with all kinds of old analog gear. Some day.. Cool

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are some more of those original Waveterm sounds.

More Waveterm perc sounds.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  More Waveterm perc sounds.zip
 Filesize:  572.59 KB
 Downloaded:  198 Time(s)

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

The snare has been snuffed with some serious reverb and then gated. I reckon there might be some compression in here too and the untreated signal is possibly mixed with the wet signal as well. There seems to be a tad EQ on here too but I am not sure this is pre or post the reverb. Actually, I tend to think it was EQed some BOTH pre and post.. or rather off the tape that is.

Sounds about right but I think a major part of this snare is the softer ghost-ish (as far as you can have ghost notes with that style of compression) hits that are right before it as well. If you listen carefully it sounds a bit bland on the variations where that one is missing, at least to me.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have no idea if this is the case here, but at the time it was quite common to edit tape.. you know.. using scissors.. Some would even experiemnt with layering effects from two different r2r decks and then record this on a third.. and then process the new sound.
At best the ghosting could sound like a compressed and EQed version of the snare that has been piped through an old plate reverb. However, at the time the first fairly decent digital reverbs were on the market and some of the presets could indeed sound like the "ghostlayer" you are hearing here.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As for the actual song, Drive by The Cars ( and the song is credited to Ric Ocasek ), I remember well that at the time I was shocked by how stale and disgustingly cheap the production sounded. I found it truly incredible that it was possible in 1984 to abuse synths and studio equipment to that extreme.
The song itself is awfully good, but that was indeed yet another good reason for a contract on that Mutt character. The band itself was quite promising and the material was mostly consistently good. The Cars was all about talent.

Another g talented band was Ultravox. Personally I like the pre-Midge Ure era. The "new" Ultravox at least managed to pull off one promising album ( Rage In Eden ).

I recommend reading this interview with Warren Cann. His story is interesting and quite telling, and there are some cute details about their production methods. The famous Brian Eno "sheep" story is in there too.

http://www.discog.info/ultravox-interview.html

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks heaps for the link to that interview Stein!
I've always loved old (and some new) Ultravox, and John Foxx's solo electronic stuff. I regard him as one of the grandfathers (uncles maybe) of electronic music. Great to get some more background on those times.
I actually really like the kind of production you get on that Cars track, and those Ultravox albums (eg Vienna) when it's listened to in context. Sure if there was no other production style out there, I'd go completely insane, but I'd say the same for just about any style. That one certainly had it's place, and epitomizes a sound I grew up with, and am very sentimental about.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy

Actually, I learned to cope with the early 80s sound. In general, the big acts were worst ones. The leser acts and odd stuff that was supposedly planned to sound current and hip often turned out to be offbeat and innovative.
As for Ultravox, I did see them live when they toured with the Vienna/Rage In Eden material. A great concert.

Consider something like this one:

King - Love and Pride

Musically it is all over over the place. It is both a typical early 80s crooner fest and a wonderful mess. And then someone figured out adding a touch of beat street mania would sell the product better. Pretty cute. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well.. why not.. prepare your nostrils for yet another 80s sniff

more King..

King - Alone Without You

King - Hold My Hand Now

King - The Taste of Your Tears

King - Torture

Very Happy

And then we have stuff like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQNC-SLG3lo

Anyways, yes.. I was there.. I even bought my german motorbike jacket at the Marx Lenin shop in Kensington Market. Hmm.. that would be 1984 I think. Yup... I confess..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That said, the stuff I listened to when I was in my early teens was mostly likethis and this .. and a lot of this Shocked Laughing and then some of stuff like this

I guess I really needed to get that leather jacket at Marx Lenin

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like a lot of 80s stuff that, when you listen to it today, sounds a bit like teenagers with new gear that they overuse, or just produced not like everyone else, seemingly a bit unprofessional. A little bit too much reverb, delay or flanger guitar. China Crisis and Cocteau Twins spring to mind, for some reason. Sometimes a "good" production just makes my brain switch off.

/Stefan

basheer400

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Drive was first released on the Heartbeat City LP from 1984 (?). It was produced by Robert John Mutt Lange. It soon became a major hit.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/A486489

As for budget devices with drumsamples, a lot of the sounds were clones of sounds made popular on recent hits.

oh my god, all this is way over my head Embarassed
I only know what "reverb" is from having the same effect in my guitar...
I'm gonna check the samples you posted and try moving on from there...I guess....
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You will get there eventually.
I cannot promise you that any of the Waveterm samples are just what you need.. but they are what was once thought of as state of art early 80s stuff. Very Happy
The PPG Waveterm predates most of the off the shelf samplers and I guess it is a kind of European take on an affordable Fairlight. These samples are from the PPG Waveterm sound library.

http://www.synthmuseum.com/ppg/ppgwterm01.html

And yes.. I bought all my PPG gear factory new back then. Shocked
Sanity returned around 1996 I think. Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyways, these samples were extremely popular back then.

Keep in mind that you will need compressor/gate sidechaining. The sidechaining bit was incredibly popular.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: