electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Scott bernardi PT2399 VC delay
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 4 of 6 [136 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, I finished my first one of these units yesterday. I found it annoying when the delay cuts out when the delay pot is turned beyond a certain point. I found a simple solution:

1) Turn the pot right to the point where the delay cuts out

2) disconnect the power lead from the pot

3) measure the resistance between the middle pin of the pot and the pin you just removed the power connection from.

4) Solder a resistor that matches the value from step 3) to the power pin on the pot. Solder the power wire to the other end of the resistor.

I ended up putting a 4.7K resistor on mine, but yours may be a different value, depending on what pot you're using and what value you used for the "free" resistor.

And now that I'm looking at the PCB layout, I see that I could have just replaced the free resistor with one that is 1.5K + 4.7K... 6.2K.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice feedback vtl5c3.

Perhaps should I edit the shematics to add this info, or add a 10K Trimer in place of this *free* resistor on the PCB ?

Did you feel the feedback loop was too lowpass ?
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't feel like the feedback is too lowpass. If anything, it adds a nice analog quality to the otherwise digital delay.

I'm now debugging a second unit. Right now it just makes farty motorboat noises. Seems to be an assembly error somewhere.

211 wrote:
Nice feedback vtl5c3.

Perhaps should I edit the shematics to add this info, or add a 10K Trimer in place of this *free* resistor on the PCB ?

Did you feel the feedback loop was too lowpass ?
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vtl5c3 wrote:
I'm now debugging a second unit. Right now it just makes farty motorboat noises. Seems to be an assembly error somewhere.

no, that's a feature... farty motorboat = that "FM" sound everyone's so fond of...

b

vtl5c3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fixed it 5 minutes after my last post. It was an etch error. Two traces had merged that shouldn't have. Bye-bye farty motorboat!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good news ! Lucky the one who own a stereo device !
6079smith

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This may be a dumb question, but what's the 100k trimmer for?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello 6079smith
the trimmer is used for VCA adjustment (CV feedback)
It must be set to prevent VCA clicks
6079smith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for that... I just got a couple of the 2399 chips from Small Bear so I'll give this circuit a try. Might even make a dual version...

And thanks 211 for the PCB/schematic.
johans121

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pehr wrote:
I completed the build of a dual/stereo Rebote 2.5 recently and it sounds very good! Very Happy I really like the distortion at 100%+ feedback Cool

OMG!!! HOLY CRAP!!!! Your demo just inspired me to build a couple of these.................... Amazing!

-Jim
tommi

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,
I am building this module, I got the Pcb almost populated and I am designing the panel..
I 've seen that there are two separated grounds (analog and digital) but I couldn't see a way to separate them and I planned to link them together.
Any suggestion?
thanks.

creatorlars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The grounds must be connected together at a single point, so you're fine I think. Smile
tommi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Creatorlars. I 've linked digital ground to the alalog ground on the spot where they are closest.
I post some picture. I still have to test it. This evening is testing time!

delay_tommaso.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.93 KB
 Viewed:  46852 Time(s)

delay_tommaso.jpg

creatorlars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Please let us know how it sounds. I found the output level on mine was a little low.
tommi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GREAT MODULE! I 've done just a little bit of testing here and I really love it.
I inserted an lfo in the delay cv and in this configuration, when the voltage control goes over (under?) a certain level, the unit stops.
I am sure this was discussed before in this thread. And the solution could be to use a higher value resistor for the one marked as 'free'.
But I really like those weird sounds that it does when stopping. They should be used in a creative fashion for sure.

Creatorlars: I can confirm that sounds are lowered passing through this unit. It's clear tweaking the mix knob from wet to dry. The dry signal is higher in amplitude (and also brighter) than the wet one.

One weird thing about constructing it was that I thought that the pots on the layout were seen by the top. But, in fact, they was represented on a bottom view.
Now I got to reverse all pots wirings ( except for delay CV attenuator... strange..)

By the way thanks to 211 for posting this circuit Very Happy

Sebo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi:
I just finished a module using this PCB and is working OK. Thanks for sharing it!!!
I didn't calibrated the DC offset of the VCA yet, as I don't have an oscilloscope,
and I didn't found a practical way to do it. At this point I set the trimmer to have 0VA at the middle leg.
The delay time was hard to control with the Delay pot (100KA lin) as at most of the travel of
the pot, the delay time was too short, and all the action happens in the last 25% of it. As I didn't have a antilog pot,
I soldered a 20K resistor between legs 1 & 2 of the pot (the one connected to the free resistor and the middle one).
This mod give me a better response of the pot but could be improved.
Another thing I noted is that the feedback losses low frequency in every repeat, as if passing thought a hi-pass filter. At first I tried to fix this, but in the end I liked it, I think it gives the delay
it's particular sound.
The voltage control of the delay is great!!!
Thanks again.

https://www.facebook.com/cosaquitos/
TekniK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sebo wrote:
Hi:The delay time was hard to control with the Delay pot (100KA lin) as at most of the travel of
the pot, the delay time was too short, and all the action happens in the last 25% of it. As I didn't have a antilog pot,.

KA = Log KB = Lin ,so '100KA lin' is in fact not lin but Log ,would a lin just not fix the problem?
Sebo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TekniK wrote:
Sebo wrote:
Hi:The delay time was hard to control with the Delay pot (100KA lin) as at most of the travel of
the pot, the delay time was too short, and all the action happens in the last 25% of it. As I didn't have a antilog pot,.

KA = Log KB = Lin ,so '100KA lin' is in fact not lin but Log ,would a lin just not fix the problem?

Well... I don't know why I wrote 100KA, I never express the taper that way, was a tipo for shure.
I'm pretty shure the pot is linear.

Minimalist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've built one of these and its working well. I have one problem though, when the recirculation pot is at minimum I still get about 4 echoes, is there a simple change I can make to get the minimum recirculation down to 1 or no echoes ?
Just starting on the second to go stereo.
Thanks to all who shared the design, pcb and modifications advice.
xi-boy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i want to use this with +/- 12 volt
do i need to change anything ?

thanks

edit: got it successfully to run with +/- 12 volt
Peake

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, I've got one of these up and running but had a question or two...how to get it to go out to delay times such as two seconds, as mentioned here? I've tried a 1M pot on the delay time and got more, swapped the free trimmer (10K) out with a 10M resistor and lost all signal...where is it and what to do? Thanks for the project!

"IC 741. Sometimes you don't want fidelity." -Small Bear Electronics Catalog
Sebo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Peake:
I used the 100K pot as in the original circuit, and reeplaced the free resistor
for a 2K trimpot (as someone suggested). With the trimpot at the middle I
got about 1.5 seconds of delay. With the trimpot about 3/4, the delay stop
working. I ended setting it to a maximum delay of aprox. 1.8 seconds.

Peake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Sebo, thanks for the advice. Odd that my attempts didn't work...

"IC 741. Sometimes you don't want fidelity." -Small Bear Electronics Catalog
brother303

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,

I have two Tonepad Rebote 2.5 pcbs and the ics around here.

Now I found this nice thread here and my question is : Is there a way to add cv-control to the tonepad pcbs?

Any ideas?

Thanks and best regards!
Greg
Sebo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think is possible, but you better go with the PCBs posted here, as the mods
you have to do to the Tonepad PCBs are too extensive.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 4 of 6 [136 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: