electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
The Quest to Find the First Synth I Ever Used
Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
opg

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: The Quest to Find the First Synth I Ever Used Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As a freshman in college studying music recording, I had easily obtained a work-study job in the media center of the library. During particularly slow nights when I wasn't handing out headphones and LPs, I snuck in the back room and fiddled with a mysterious synthesizer. It wouldn't be until another 4 years that I got to fiddle with a Prophet Pro One and still have no freakin' clue what I could do with a synthesizer.

I'm now on a mission to find this first synth. It is a grey synth with membrane buttons. There are orange ADSR envelope shapes on the synth (I want to say that they are located under each key, but I'm probably just confusing that with my old Casio SK-1). Besides that, I don't remember much else except a LED screen. I can't remember if there was a jog-wheel beside it or not.

And the hunt begins....... Cool

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I remember many years ago to have played it. it was called the Prophet 5 of poor people Laughing

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
matrix

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm.. Membrane switches, grey and orange envs. Was it the Moog Source? http://www.matrixsynth.com/blog/media/Moog/Source/moogsource7.jpg
cebec

G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

matrix wrote:
Hmm.. Membrane switches, grey and orange envs. Was it the Moog Source? http://www.matrixsynth.com/blog/media/Moog/Source/moogsource7.jpg

cool quest -- yeah, that was my first guess based on that description, as well.
opg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Damn! That's a good guess, but I hope I would have remembered the wood edges. I don't remember any blue on the synth, also.

Hmmm.......keep looking....

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have always liked the looks of the Arp Quadra. It was hilariously modern at the time. Cool

arp_quadra-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.01 KB
 Viewed:  14332 Time(s)

arp_quadra-1.jpg

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm.. I seem to remember that some of the Axxe synths were charcoal rather than black.

axxe2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.84 KB
 Viewed:  14330 Time(s)

axxe2.jpg

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
cebec

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Kawai K3?
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm.. sounds reasonable. It has a display! Idea

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
cebec

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

how about this!?

Roland Alpha Juno
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Or one of the Crumar Bit synths? 01 or 99 ?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
opg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been going through them all on Vintage Synth Explorer. I think the Rolands are pretty close, and perhaps the Kawais. I can't stop thinking about that Moog, though.

"Settle down, Sam. You can't afford it now." Rolling Eyes

opg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It was definitely grayish. And I'm starting to think there was more orange involved - perhaps an orange backlit LCD instead of an LED.

I currently own a Casio CZ-1000. Hmm..membrane buttons.... That would totally freak me out, but I remember easily listening to interesting sweeps and pads - nothing that would be in the presets. I doubt I would have wandered into the saved sounds.

I also remember struggling to use headphones with it. They would just barely reach, and I had to hold my head close to the keys. I was so desparate Rolling Eyes

Last edited by opg on Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
The Why Project

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What about the AKAI AX-80?

Does have grey membrane buttons, orange numeric display (and blue value bargraphs...)

http://www.vintagesynth.com/akai/ax80.shtml

Regards,

The Why Project
opg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Why Project wrote:
What about the AKAI AX-80?

Does have grey membrane buttons, orange numeric display (and blue value bargraphs...)

True, but I would have definitely remembered the blue bargraphs. This synth did not have much of any screen at all- LCD or LED.

I'm going to do something stupid and call the media center and ask if it is still there from ten years ago. Then, when they hang up on me, I'll e-mail my old supervisor from the center. Smile

opg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nope. I can't find it online. The closest were the Casio CZ-1000 (which I already have- did I mention that already?) and a cheap-ass DX7. It certainly had that DX7 look to it, but I am almost positive it was grey, with a lot of orange membrane buttons. Mad
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe one of the cheap Korgs, was it Polyphonic?
opg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought about that- the Poly 800s. Maybe.... It certainly had the cheap 80s look to it. Those membrane buttons will do it. They bring down the whole look.

But seriously, I'm going to call the school up in 5 minutes and say "I was a freshman there 10 years ago....."

This is so exciting! Rolling Eyes

opg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DAMMIT! Who would have thought that a synth from 10 years ago wouldn't be there anymore? They only had "Yamaha Educational Series," according to the student worker. I guess we'll never know, but if it wasn't a Juno-1 or Poly-800, I'd be very surprised.
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 276
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Roland JX-8P

opg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I haven't heard back from my old supervisor, but on all the great posts, I'm leaning towards that Kawai K3. The red LED is much more familiar-looking than the blue LED on the Roland JX-8P.

Now...to begin a post on a topic much more interesting, the Siel DK 600!

Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: