electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
<on air> Faux Pas Quartet and friends Music From Last Thursday
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Great! I just fried my MS-20
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Royalston

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject:  Great! I just fried my MS-20
Subject description: Annoying things that happen when youre really tired
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi
I just plugged a 50V 60hz AC Korg MS20 into an australian power supply (240V) in a moment of extreme exhaustion.

Hopefully the whole thing isnt fried (Ive done this before to other equipment and It was a simple jb for the repairman)

What I am wondering is what is the likely component that Ive fried? I have a reasonable knowledge of electronics from building guitar pedals...I was just hoping to save the ridiculous repair price on an already expensive synth.. If it was an relatively easy operation I could do it....

Any thoughts/advice before I get out my voltmeter?
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 148
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oops ...

a 50 V ms20, are you sure ?

With a bit of luck just the fuse is gone, with less luck hte transformer, with no luck ...

Can it be switched to 240 V (or 220) ?

Royalston

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I bought it from Japan about 2 days ago. Carried it on my lap on a 20hr taxi/bus/plane/taxi journey and pretty much ran home to use it.... <cry>

When I bought it I checked with the guy in the shop and he said "this model runs on japanese power...". Japanese power works fine (with a little adaptor) in Australia....so I took his word for it... but he was wrong...this MS needs a stepdown transformer...I think.

I didnt smell anything funny (burning) when I plugged it in. It just didnt work. I did that to my 101 space echo too.... Damn my impetuous nature. The 101 was fixed easily...just cost me a bit....
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 608

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Japan runs at 100V, 50 (or 60) Hz. But 240V into 100V equipment still not good. If you didn't smell any chemical burning, chances are quite good the fuse did it's job.

How many Yen did it cost and where in Japan did you buy it?
Royalston

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

aaah...fixed it...
It was only the fuse..

Paid: too much probably
Bought in Harajuku, Tokyo.
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

although i don't know this first hand, i do remember this being the case, and might be worth taking a preemptive look at.

on some ms20's, the voltage regulators were attached to their heat sinks with a plastic nut and bolt. the nut and bolt can fail from the heat, and if the regulators overheat, it can fry a good bit of the synth. not a bad idea to check this out, and replace the plastic with metal (and use heatsink compound).

deknow
Blue Hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:
(and use heatsink compound).

No insulation kits needed ?

Blue Hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Royalston wrote:
aaah...fixed it...
It was only the fuse..

Lucky you Very Happy

deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...perhaps it does need some kind of insulation, i shouldn't say one way or the other, as i don't know.

http://www.korganalogue.net/korgms/mstt.html
Quote:
Tip 8: MS-20 power supply warning! -
"Being a cute little cheap synth, the Korg was bought by a lot of poor musicians. It's getting real popular again. It ain't built like no Moog. I suggest to all Korg MS owners that they pop theirs open and look at the power supply. There are two voltage regulators which supply 15v and -15v to the board. These regulators are held to a heat sink.....WITH NYLON BOLTS. Mine had sheared due to harsh impacts suffered in the past decade and also probably due to hundreds of hours of uptime heating up and corrupting the plastic bolts. When mine died, what had happened was that the bolt on the -15 unit had sheared and there was like a hundredth of an inch twixt the regulator and the heatsink. Regulator heated-heated-heated, and finally just started letting voltage thru the system. First thing to go was the gate controller on my Kenton; second thing to go was the opamp governing trigger behaviour on the HADSR and keyboard. Unit went to the shop where everything looked fine... We left the box on for a couple hours to burn in and "...hmm smells like burning chips..." by the time we tracked down the regulator problem it had fried about 6 or 8 components board side.

Nuff said? If you aren't skilled enough to do this yourself go to the shop. There's probably other things that were made to die inside this valuable little beastie. I've had my upgraded and replaced the 1/4" jacks with Switchcraft ones . ."
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: