electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Faux Pas Quartet and friends Music From Last Thursday
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Stop the FCC
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 125
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Stop the FCC Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We support the efforts of Moveon.org to lobby Congress in support of free and diverse media. Moveon.org has been very effective in getting it's message delivered in the past. This issue affects anyone who is interested in and cherishes freedom of expression.

On June 2, the Federal Communications Commission is planning on authorizing sweeping changes to the American news media. The rules change could allow your local TV stations, newspaper, radio stations, and cable provider to all be owned by one company. NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox could have the same corporate parent. The resulting concentration of ownership could be deeply destructive to our democracy.

Congress is supposed to guard against monopoly power. But the upcoming rule change could change the landscape for all media and usher in an era in which a few corporations control your access to news and entertainment.

After the FCC and Congress relaxed radio ownership rules, corporate giant Clear Channel Communications swept in and bought hundreds of stations. Clear Channel has used its might to support pro-war political rallies and conservative talk shows, keep anti-war songs off its stations, coerce musicians into playing free promotional concerts, and bully them into performing at its music venues. In many towns that used to have a diverse array of radio options, Clear Channel is now the only thing on the dial.

Monopoly power is a dangerous thing, and Congress is supposed to guard against it. But the upcoming rule change could change the landscape for all media and usher in an era in which a few corporations control your access to news and entertainment. Please tell Congress and the FCC to support a diverse, competitive media landscape by going to:

http://www.moveon.org/stopthefcc/

You can also automatically have your comments publicly filed at the FCC.

Democracy is built on the idea that the views and beliefs of an informed citizenry are the best basis for political decision-making. Without access to fair and balanced news, the system simply doesn't work. And media corporations can't be trusted to balance themselves: news corporations have shown again and again that they're willing to sacrifice journalism to improve the bottom line. That's why we need many media entities -- to keep each other honest, and to provide the information and ideas that take democracy happen.

When the folks at MoveOn.org talk to Congresspeople about this issue, the response is usually the same: "We only hear from media lobbyists on this. It seems like my constituents aren't very concerned with this issue".

Thanks.

Last edited by mosc on Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any update on this one? I recently google in order to find out what had really happened. So far my only conclusion is that all this is just a sad mess? Am I wrong?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes. my congressman wrote me. I don't remember the numbers exactly. The industry and the FCC wanted to increase media ownership of a single party in a given local market from something like 33% to 45%. Congress compromised and gave them something like 38%.

My congressman, Pat Toomey, one of the most conservative of the conservatives, voted for this measure. He recently ran to be the Republican candidate for senator from Pennsylvania and he lost to the incumbant, Arlen Spector, a so-called moderate. Interestingly, Bush didn't support Toomey; apparently because he didn't think an exterme conservative could win the general election.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The same thing is going on over here. Seems like I will soon lose my favorite channel soon. I have always preferred classical music, news and stuff like programs about the mating habits of the badger.. instead all things radio is going for the crotch these days. Too bad.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, Clear Channel Communications owns the most popular and powerful stations in our area. They are becoming more balanced. In the past, all of the talk radio hosts were self-proclaimed conservatives, like Rush Linbaugh. Now, they have a new guy, Phil Hendry, who says he's a Democrat. Of course, he is a "Democrat for Bush". There are actually one or two of these. They work at Clear Channel. Laughing Shocked
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow if phil hendry is a democrat, then i really scared now heheh
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
"Democrat for Bush"

I do not mean to sound rude or offensive but "Democrat for Bush" reminds me of "Jews for Jesus" Shocked

Quote:
Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex - Frank Zappa
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Attila the Hun is in the same political closet as Mr. Bush.
This reminds me, I have just read that book ..."The Anatomy of Fascism" by Paxton. Great book. Chilling content.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You know, after Attila met defeat from almost the entire Western World united against him, it is believed he died from heart failure due to too much alcohol...
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm.. ... .. hopefully Attila started a tradition

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

zynthetix wrote:
Attila met defeat from almost the entire Western World united against him

It's remarkable how short the unifications for the sake of a common enemy last, isn't it?
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, well.. I have this old book about the wonders of the League of Nations... and the bright new future without war and mischief. I kinda keep that book around just for... making a point about.. whatever.. hmm..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
play

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
zynthetix wrote:
Attila met defeat from almost the entire Western World united against him

It's remarkable how short the unifications for the sake of a common enemy last, isn't it?

well, hate is not really a unifying emotion. it's always looking for the next thing to make an enemy.
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another fun fact about the Huns: The Romans enlisted the Goths (barbians comparible to the Huns and former enemies of Rome) to fight the Huns. The Romans later had an opportunity to erradicate the Huns, but simply caused them to retreat, possibly because erradicating the common threat meant the next enemy would come from within... maybe this logic explains why a certain muslim extremist seems to be so evasive?
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's an update on the FCC fight. Looks like a victory for the good guys.

happy smoker party time! happy smoker

-----Begin Included Message-----

Dear MoveOn member,

Last summer, over 375,000 MoveOn members joined together to fight proposed FCC rules that would have allowed fewer corporations to control more of the media.

Yesterday, we won!

Following an unprecedented public outcry, a federal appeals court rejected the Federal Communications Commission's rules. The decision gives priority to the public interest over corporate bottom-lines.

Media policy is usually considered too obscure for ordinary people to care about. Last year, however, Congressional offices reported receiving comments about media ownership from millions of Americans -- more than any topic except the war in Iraq.

As a result, the Senate twice voted to roll back the FCC rules. There was enough support in the House to do the same, but the Republican leadership prevented a vote, saving President Bush from a politically unpopular veto.

This was possible because of the power of the grassroots, and also because of the smart leadership of Free Press, Common Cause, Consumers Union, and others. Our great thanks go to the Media Access Project, the public interest law firm which skillfully argued this case.

Americans like yourself, who live every day with a deteriorating media, rose to challenge lobbyists from giant media conglomerates. We have a long road ahead of us to ensure our media provide the sort of quality journalism on which democracy depends. Today we can look back and rejoice at how far we have already come.

Thank you for taking action -- it has the power to change everything.

Sincerely,
--Carrie, Joan, Lee, Noah, Peter, and Wes
MoveOn.org
June 25th, 2004

P.S. You can read more about the court's ruling at:

http://www.freepress.net/rules/

P.P.S. The Media Access Project, which won this court case, operates on a tiny budget. If you'd like to support them, please click here:

http://www.mediaaccess.org/about/support.html
General Elektrick

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thats good news! Wink

General Elektrick
Abaddon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mosc, you better fix the link. I can see your adress and name. Sad
play

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmmm...that means we can send him cookies and flowers
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Abaddon wrote:
Mosc, you better fix the link. I can see your adress and name. Sad

thanks

I edited it.
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Jump to: