electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Wogglebug circuit
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 4 of 14 [332 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 12, 13, 14 Next
tomcat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ENDIF wrote:
Would anyone be interested in sharing a Mouser, Futurlec, Digikey, or other supplier parts order list for this for us noobs?

Searching for just the right stuff among so many options is frustrating.

I'd like to submit this idea as a standard support component for all PCBs..

Its still DIY, isnt it? Rolling Eyes Wink
keithwin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Woggle LEDs Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking forward to my wogglebug PCB emensely,
anyone got any ideas for adding some LEDs to the
front panel?

Regards

Keith
endif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: @ tomcat Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know I'm a noob. My snails pace at this Blacet VCO kit is testament to this.

What better way to de-noob than by having some go-to source when stuck that doesnt involve bugging anyone directly?

And I dont see how that's any different than, say, sharing suppliers or schematics.

Lastly, the idea itself comes from the excellent parts list for the Mankato filter, which is mostly Mouser part #'s with full descriptions, enabling those surmounting the learning curve to choose from the insane array of available components.

*shrug*

http://www.endif.org
http://www.crunchpod.com
http://www.myspace.com/endif

Last edited by endif on Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
prophei

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

poor endif... *snif*

Wink

do you need a hug?

Very Happy

ENDIF wrote:
I know I'm a noob. My snails pace at this Blacet VCO kit is testament to this.

What better way to de-noob than by having some go-to source when stuck that doesnt involve bugging anyone directly?

And I dont see how that's any different than, say, sharing suppliers or schematics.

Lastly, the idea itself comes from the excellent parts list for the Mankato filter, which is mostly Mouser part #'s with full descriptions, enabling those surmounting the learning curve to choose from the insane array of available components.

*shrug*
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

prophei wrote:
do you need a hug?

Of course ! humans have that, and it improves their lives Cool

Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vtl5c3 wrote:
There's a PCB layout here:

http://web.pdx.edu/~rfahl/img/Wog/

I see that you posted this link nearly a year ago... It's broken now. Does it exist elsewhere? TIA...
kryptic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:
vtl5c3 wrote:
There's a PCB layout here:

http://web.pdx.edu/~rfahl/img/Wog/

I see that you posted this link nearly a year ago... It's broken now. Does it exist elsewhere? TIA...

Check page two of this thread. Wink
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I believe a character defect has been revealed...thanks for the nudge, and the answer!
endif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

*squirms in his chair in anticipation*

=D

http://www.endif.org
http://www.crunchpod.com
http://www.myspace.com/endif
goldenechos

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How about an ETA on the boards? I want to make sure I have some vactrols around when they arrive.

TR
stegoman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Wogglebug circuit
Subject description: Circuit Mods?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Everyone. This is my first post to electro-music and to this forum, so thanks for putting up with me.

I've read everything in the forum and looked at all the working links. I'm considering getting in on the 2nd run of boards from Jan Van Holt and I'm curious if anyone has added the 'Disturb' input to the current board? It seems to be the only missing item compared to the original Wiard Woggle Bug first order circuit. (Referring to http://www.wiard.com/support/WoggleBug-031001.pdf ) Adding the ring mod/XOR circuit to interconnect 2 boards will be a snap, but it seems that the Disturb input would add some significant sound pounding options.

Larry T.
prophei

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i wish i had the answer! i was thinking about combining 2 of my boards as well, so i am very interested in any ways to further mimic the original....
vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've built two wogglebugs based on the #3 wogglebug circuit, the same thing the PCB that's being sold is based off of. I should point out that even without the Disturb feature, this module offers a great deal of options.

If you feel an overpowering need to add a Disturb option, I would recommend looking at Richard Brewster's site, since his version does include it:

http://www.pugix.com/wogglebug.htm

Looks like a small daughterboard with a quad opamp, some resistors and a few diodes connected to Pin 11 of the Woggle VCO will do the job. If you do try it out, let us know how it turns out!

Romeo
stegoman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've seen Richard's page and I'm thinking that it would be pretty easy to hack that change into the current offering. I was wondering if anyone else had already done something like this. BTW, Richard is a great guy and puts out great work. I was lucky enough to get one of his CVS boards and I can't wait to get going on it.
Master of Circles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everybody,

I want to order the parts for my wogglebug, but I donĀ“t know which Potentiometers I should buy.

Does anybody know if they are lin or log??

I refer to this PCB

http://diy.czmok.de/Group-Buys.66.0.html

Thanks in advance!

Master of circles
goldenechos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used all linear and mine works great. Log pots are not as common around here and would have been noted in the parts list/ schematic.

Tony
prophei

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vtl5c3 wrote:
I've built two wogglebugs based on the #3 wogglebug circuit, the same thing the PCB that's being sold is based off of. I should point out that even without the Disturb feature, this module offers a great deal of options.

If you feel an overpowering need to add a Disturb option, I would recommend looking at Richard Brewster's site, since his version does include it:

http://www.pugix.com/wogglebug.htm

Looks like a small daughterboard with a quad opamp, some resistors and a few diodes connected to Pin 11 of the Woggle VCO will do the job. If you do try it out, let us know how it turns out!

Romeo

ok, i have been putting this circuit together this morning, and "think" i am almost done with it. i do have a few questions though...

on richard's design he has only an arrow coming out for both pins 4 & 11, which i took to likely refer to power or something. i opened the data sheet for these pins and found that pin 4 is for +V and 11 is ground, which i find strange, as ground is marked as such all over richard's schematic... any ideas?

also, richard's schematic shows pin 7 leading up to one side of the "woggle range" pot to rejoin the rest of the circuit... thing is, the woggle #3 circuit we have been building connects to this pin differently, and i am not sure where best to connect with pin 7. richard's adaptation of the wogglebug design is clearly different.

any help would be awesome!
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

I think you're referring to the woggle-wog.pdf diagram.

Pin 4 is V+ Pin 11 is V-. That's for a TL074 or most other quad opamps.

The other bit, regarding Pin 7 of the opamp going to the woggle-range pot... that's different from the wogglebug #3 because Richard figured out a way to add the Disturb feature. Remember that the #3 version was one of the prototypes that lead to the more fully featured version that Grant actually charges money for.

R.
prophei

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vtl5c3 wrote:
Hello,

I think you're referring to the woggle-wog.pdf diagram.

Pin 4 is V+ Pin 11 is V-. That's for a TL074 or most other quad opamps.

The other bit, regarding Pin 7 of the opamp going to the woggle-range pot... that's different from the wogglebug #3 because Richard figured out a way to add the Disturb feature. Remember that the #3 version was one of the prototypes that lead to the more fully featured version that Grant actually charges money for.

R.

if you check here: http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM124.pdf you will see that pin 11 is actually ground. odd?

also, i am aware that the designs are different, though there was some discussion about adding the disturb to the #3.... i am just curious if it is even possible...
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, I didn't see that it was an LM324. You might want to check with Richard Brewster to see if he really intended to use it with a bipolar supply or if the negative rail designator is an error or should be ground.

LM324s can be used with bipolar supplies, but if I were you, I'd use a TL084 or 74 instead.
prophei

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vtl5c3 wrote:
OK, I didn't see that it was an LM324. You might want to check with Richard Brewster to see if he really intended to use it with a bipolar supply or if the negative rail designator is an error or should be ground.

LM324s can be used with bipolar supplies, but if I were you, I'd use a TL084 or 74 instead.

thanks for the tip! once i figure out where to conenct this circuit properly to my woggle#3, i'll be ready to go Very Happy
Serenadi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vtl5c3 wrote:

Shure, you can try.
But don't expect the same sound.

I tried to exchange the LM324 by a TL074 in a phaser unit.
My intention was to reduce noise.
It was a failure, in the end it sounds nasty.

It's no problem to use the LM324 with bipolar supply, it depends on the circuit if it is recommended, however.

If you use an OpAmp with single supply, there is an offset at the output of half of the supply voltage. This may be a problem if its function is used to control voltages. So be careful.
stegoman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Adding Disturb Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've just finished looking closely at the Disturb circuit on David's schematic (http://www.pugix.com/images/woggle-wog.pdf) versus the WoggleBug #3 circuit (http://diy.czmok.de/fileadmin/wogglebug-schem.pdf) for the current production board. David's disturb circuit can be done as a daughter board that hooks up to pin 3 of the "Smooth Range" pot instead of tying that pin to ground! If you look at the disturb circuit, it will be at ground if no input signals are supplied. Add 12 resistors, 1 pot, 2 diodes, and an IC. Or just use one disturb input and drop the pot and 4 resistors.

Question: How do you properly connect the unused section of the LM324 in order to prevent it's causing any issues?
prophei

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding Disturb Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stegoman wrote:
I've just finished looking closely at the Disturb circuit on David's schematic (http://www.pugix.com/images/woggle-wog.pdf) versus the WoggleBug #3 circuit (http://diy.czmok.de/fileadmin/wogglebug-schem.pdf) for the current production board. David's disturb circuit can be done as a daughter board that hooks up to pin 3 of the "Smooth Range" pot instead of tying that pin to ground! If you look at the disturb circuit, it will be at ground if no input signals are supplied. Add 12 resistors, 1 pot, 2 diodes, and an IC. Or just use one disturb input and drop the pot and 4 resistors.

Question: How do you properly connect the unused section of the LM324 in order to prevent it's causing any issues?

but how is it powered properly? looking at his schematic, i believe he uses pins 4 & 11, but it doesn't specify what it goes to. i tried to find his email online, but was unsuccessful. Crying or Very sad

any idea's anyone?
goldenechos

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Adding Disturb Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stegoman wrote:

For each unused section, connect Negative terminal to Ouput terminal. Connect Positive terminal to GND.

Tony
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 4 of 14 [332 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 12, 13, 14 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: