electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
1971 Photo of Kerry Doctored
Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: 1971 Photo of Kerry Doctored Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

_ L - I - E _
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
To keep things simple, I constructed this collage to illustrate the postulation of a lie. The top left is Kerry at the "Register for Peace Rally" in Mineola, NY. I have encountered conflicting dates regarding the photo. One being 06.13.1970, the other being 06.13.1971. The following article itself lists both dates, and I have been unable to substantiate either. I have been unable to determine the details of the original photograph of Jane Fonda in the upper Right.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
This one is real. Taken on 09.07.1970 at an anti-war rally in Valley Forge, PA. Fonda foreground, Kerry background.

And now for something completely different, only not...

A Picture of Political Prejudices
Feb 15, 2004

By Michael Rothfeld

As a 20-year-old photographer documenting the country's struggle over the Vietnam War, Ken Light snapped the picture of John Kerry at a peace rally in Mineola. It captured the future senator alone at a podium, squinting into the sun.

Light did not photograph Jane Fonda on that warm June Sunday in 1971. The actress, who is reviled by many Vietnam veterans for her vocal stance against the war, did not even attend.

But when opponents of the Democratic presidential hopeful began e-mailing Light's picture to one another four days ago, it depicted Fonda standing by Kerry's side. The photo had been doctored.

"I'm horrified," said Light, 52, who grew up in East Meadow and now heads the graduate photojournalism program at the University of California at Berkeley. "I think this kind of alteration is probably one of the scariest forms of trickery, particularly when it's done against a political candidate."

Dag Vega, a spokesman for Kerry's campaign, said, "The smear tactics have started already."

Kerry, who co-founded Vietnam Veterans Against the War, spoke at the Register for Peace Rally on June 13, 1971, when thousands gathered for "the largest anti-war demonstration ever held on Long Island," according to a story in Newsday the next day. Light recalled Long Islanders of all ages sprawled across the State Supreme Court mall in Mineola, with American flags and peace symbols. Former members of Congress who attended included Bella Abzug, Allard Lowenstein and Lester Wolff. Folk singer Peter Yarrow entertained, and the rally ended with a burst of thunder and lightning.

Light, a student in Ohio at the time, took the picture of Kerry but never published it, and it sat in his files until two weeks ago when he shipped it to Corbis, his Seattle-based agent, which placed it in its online archives.

That is apparently where someone found it, and attempted to capitalize on the attention garnered by an authentic photo of Kerry and Fonda at a Vietnam-era rally -- seated some distance apart -- posted early this month on a Web site called www.vietnamveteransagainstjohnkerry.com. The Web site's creator, Ted Sampley, a Vietnam veteran from North Carolina, said he received the doctored photo by e-mail on Wednesday from a woman in Richmond, Va.

"Thought you might want to include this pic on your site," said the note from Loree Siemek, with an attachment called "HanoiJohn.jpg," a takeoff on "Hanoi Jane," the derisive nickname given to Fonda by her critics during the Vietnam era. It is made to look like a newspaper clipping, headlined "Fonda Speaks to Vietnam Veterans at Anti- War Rally," with an Associated Press photo credit. Sampley said he was immediately skeptical, and e-mailed it to some friends who concluded it was faked. He did not post it.

"I looked at it and it didn't feel right," Sampley said in an interview. "It just looked too good."

Siemek, 34, reached by phone, said she found the picture on a conservative Internet message board and had no idea it was phony.

"This thing has spiraled out of control," Siemek said. "If I had any thought that photo was not real, I would never have forwarded it to the veterans' group."

Source: http://www.newsday.com/ny-kerry0215,0,4733861.story?coll=ny-top-headlines

Be always aware of the efforts of the Ministry of Truth. Unfortunate that it's infantry and hitmen tend to be ordinary citizens.

Cyx

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite

Last edited by Cyxeris on Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:48 pm; edited 7 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

aren't you the appointed conservative around here Question
now what, are you campaigning for Kerry Question
aren't you supposed to defend your president, by any means necessary Question

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
aren't you the appointed conservative around here Question
now what, are you campaigning for Kerry Question
aren't you supposed to defend your president, by any means necessary Question

I defend what deserves a defense. I am not a team player.

Yes I am a conservative, and have been registered as Republican, and I don't necessarily support Kerry (at present, at least, although this may be changing). Right now, I dont necessarily support anyone, and I certainly do not lockstep with anyone. I was very very interested in Clark, and if Clark becomes Kerry's running mate... I will be doing alot of listening and scrutinizing. Which I do anyway, that would just up the ante. After all, when it comes to military history, Bush can't hold a flashlight to either one of them. Tell me that wont come up. The Republicans' draft-dodging-Clinton propaganda might just come home to roost. Karma is such a champion of irony, isnt it?

However, bullshit is bullshit, and bullshit supercedes ideologies. THIS is complete bullshit, and apparently people have been falling for it.

As a matter of fact, after learning of this (and it took some work to pin down some of these pics, the original Fonda pic specificly), I'm deliberately taking him more seriously, and, AND, am far more willing to discount the intern business, even if it IS true, in response.

And, really, I dont care about that issue one way or the other, although the timing (right after Clark dropped and Dean was en route, making Kerry a prime target), is utterly suspect, and smacks all over the mouth of dirty tricks. With Clark out of the way, if they hound him for this issue in a politics as usual way, I will vote for him. Period. Fuck them. And I am refering to "my team" here when I say "them." If that is the game being played, I wont play it. Unless Kerry plays it back, which is what I expect.

Conservative for me is not a fealty, it's just the basis for my worldview, and from my conservative base, I move into liberal ideals and test these for merit and, carefully and causiously, evolve. Also, there are different flavors of L/C, from economic to social to political to one's opinion of Barbara Streisand. My L/C balance differs greatly from subject to subject. I'm just interested in what is right, not to sound too sappy about it.

Cyx

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite

Last edited by Cyxeris on Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I seriously need to effort toning down my language a bit. I'm sounding like Kerry!

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, what is this new story about Kerry? He has had sex? With a woman? Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Photo of Kerry Doctored Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cyxeris wrote:
This one is real. Taken on 09.07.1970 at an anti-war rally in Valley Forge, PA. Fonda foreground, Kerry background.

OMG, I visted Valley Forge, PA, less than 20 years after that. I guess I don't have much of a chance at a political career. NOT Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You are the president here? Not? Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Howard is not the president, he is the supreme autarch!
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahh shucks... Surprised king farao
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll tell you why this bothers me so very much.

Many people are aware of the relationship between Jane Fonda and the Vietnam veterans. They have very very legitimate reasons for not liking her. However, in the mid-90's, some most virulent, yet completely fabricated, accounts began surfacing on the internet. In one such account, she had allegedly met with a group of American POWs. According the the story, they were lined up and she walked the line, shaking each one's hand, and asking them nonsense like "how do you feel about killing babies?" and the like. Well, the POWs were supposed to have scribbled their S.S. numbers on slips of paper and palmed them, and each transferred theirs to her while shaking hands.

At the end of the line, she supposedly took all of these slips of paper and handed them over to one of the North Vietnamese officers, and the men were beaten so badly that a few died or somesuch. The POW who was attributed to the story came out and denied the whole thing as a falsehood.

So, already the slander had begun to raise the hate against her.

Enter John Kerry.

John Kerry was an adamant anti-war protester after returning from duty, highly decorated. It's one thing for a spoiled, idealistic and nieve Hollywood prissymiss to go around bashing this thing that, even given her tour of North Vietnam, she can literally have no real understanding of. It is something completely different for John Kerry to. I'm not saying right or wrong, I'm simply recognizing validity.

Now, we sit in a heated social and political climate where echoes of the good ole days resound all the way up to the next presidential election. It will be a showdown between Kerry and Bush, I don't think there is any disputing that at this point.

So, how better to discredit Kerry with the veterans than to exploit an already well developed and, arguably relevant, dislike for Jane Fonda, one that has already been manipulate and exploited in recent years with the tools of libel? It doesn't matter if it is true or not. Some with strong deep-seated emotions about this issue sees what appears to be a real image of Kerry on stage with Fonda and the association will never be erased.

It is much easier to drill a hole than to undrill one.

Sure Fonda, and especially Kerry, are being unforgivably used here, the damage being targeted at Kerry, but the REAL atrocity here is the blatant rape of the memories and the hearts of our vets, which, don't forget, include Kerry (although I wouldn't expect him to fall for this).

Not everyone is sophisticated enough to identify a Photoshop hack. It's difficult to explain how livid this made me when I found it. I respond to this sort of thing as though the lie was directed specifically at me. I have debated whether or not I should assume the apparent rules of engagement and do some work myself, but ultimately, I would then have no room to argue this.

Does anyone think I am overreacting? I would love you're takes on this.

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite

Last edited by Cyxeris on Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

egw wrote:
Howard is not the president, he is the supreme autarch!

The resident Dali Lama, our own Papa Smurf. bigsmurf

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Hey, what is this new story about Kerry? He has had sex? With a woman? Shocked

Ahh yes, the dirty but effective Intern Card. Well, as of today, in fact...

"Woman Denies Rumors of Kerry Affair
Feb 16, 3:32 PM (ET)

By MATTHEW ROSENBERG

NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) - A woman who has been the subject of rumors linking her to Sen. John Kerry denied Monday that she ever had an affair with the Democratic presidential candidate.

Breaking her silence four days after the allegations surfaced on the Internet, Alexandra Polier issued a statement to The Associated Press, saying, "I have never had a relationship with Senator Kerry, and the rumors in the press are completely false."

Kerry already has denied reports that he had an extramarital affair. On Monday, his campaign said he would have no further comment.

Polier's statement was released to the AP in Nairobi, where the 27-year-old freelance journalist is visiting the parents of her fiance, Yaron Schwartzman, an Israeli who was raised in Kenya. She previously worked as an editorial assistant for the AP in New York.

"Whoever is spreading these rumors and allegations does not know me," Polier said, appealing to the media to respect her privacy and the privacy of her fiance and his family.

Polier also took issue with reports that referred to her as a former Kerry intern.

"I never interned or worked for John Kerry," she told AP over the phone.

In a separate statement, Polier's parents, Terry and Donna Polier of Malvern, Pa., dismissed the "completely false and unsubstantiated" allegations about their daughter.
Alexandra Polier

"We love and support her 100 percent and these unfounded rumors are hurtful to our entire family," the statement said. "We appreciate the way Senator Kerry has handled the situation, and intend on voting for him for president of the United States."

The statement did not address purported quotes by Polier's parents in the British tabloid The Sun that were harshly critical of Kerry.

Kerry has won 14 of 16 Democratic primaries and caucuses, and is expected to be the Democratic challenger to President Bush in November.

Rumors of a relationship between Kerry and Polier first appeared Thursday on the Internet and were picked up by newspapers in several countries outside the United States. Few U.S. publications printed her name, however.

Asked Friday about the reports, Kerry told reporters: "I just deny it categorically. It's rumor. It's untrue. And that's the last time I intend" to respond to questions about it.

Regarding her silence until now, Polier said, "Because these stories were false, I assumed the media would ignore them. It seems that efforts to peddle these lies continue, so I feel compelled to address them."

By Monday, reporters and photographers were camped outside the Schwartzmans' Nairobi home, and at one point pursued the car of Yaron's mother, Hannah Schwartzman, as she left the walled compound.

Polier and Yaron Schwartzman met at Columbia University. They arrived in Kenya last October.

Polier graduated from Clark University in Worcester, Mass., in 1999. She received her master's in journalism from Columbia in 2003."

Source: http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040216/D80OIHSO1.html

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You are not overreacting. Far from it. The montage was clearly meant as a part of a campaign against Kerry. The campaign is probably still going on. You should write an article exposing the lie and we could try to get it published on websites all over. And you can tell why you react!

The sex stories.. He is supposed to have been unfaithful? The newspapers are full of this in Europe and analysts are claiming he is potically dead. Obviously this is a conspiracy.
This leads me to ask who is behind this and why? It is pretty likely that someone, a team of analysts, have figured out Kerry really has a huge chance of winning and probably also a huge chance of affect US policies and politics if he gets to become president. So.. which changes are we talking about? This question can be tweaked into questioning whose agendas will be affected by this.
To me it seems that Kerry is probably pretty radical and more tuned to european ways of seeing global politics than what we have seen from US presidents for the last 70 years or so.
Radical in this context is not quite that radical really. One example: "Høyre" - the norwegian conservative party ( name translates to "Right" .. as in right wing..) would probably make your Democrat party seem like nazis in brown uniforms in comparison. Hmm.. our old "Høyre" prime minister, Kåre Willoch, would probably make the charming little british troll Blair, seem like a mix of Saddam,Hermann Göring and Jabba the Hut. Norwegian politics is pretty left wing. One interesting side of this is that most political parties are messing about in the middle of the scale, a scale which of course is pretty leftwing, and there are almost no players to the far right or the far left. Even the old marxists leninist party has turned itself into a collection of characters from the "100 yard forest". Lenin and Marx have been traded for Winnie The Pooh.

Is Kerry seen as a threat to those companies who are benefiting from the war in Afghanistan and in Iraq? Any suggestions?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr

Last edited by elektro80 on Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, so much to consider...

In all honesty, I do not know Kerry's politics too well in the scope of a presidency. Why? A. he has been a senator for quite some time (quite a different setting than the oval office), and B. he's campaigning. Campaigns are all the same, the same cliches "I want to improve education, boost employment, fix our foreign policy, blah blah blah." He, like the rest, is saying what is said durring a campaign, and that is neither to his credit or discredit. That is simply the rule of the game.

Now, I dont know about the sources of these 2 attacks. The intern story broke on the Drudge Report, as did the Lewinski scancal. So, the closest thing to an index point would be Matt Drudge's source, and to this I am unprivy, unfortunately.

Insofar as the hatchet job with the images, it's a decent fake, but certainly not extraordinary. One note of interest is that I had one hell of a time tracking down the original Fonda pic. Whomever perpitrated this bullshit apparently had access to an un-watermarked copy. That, in and of itself, could be a significant clue. I simply do not know.

As far as why, Hm. That goes without saying, doesnt it? He's the frontrunning Democratic contender and the election is a few months off. That answers itself.

I really do not understand the polarization of left and right. In my eyes, they are not rivals, they are complimentary. However, the Pitting of them and those who side with each against one another is the division of a house against itself, which is clearly what is desired by those in power. Let them fight amongst themselves, as we will assume carte blanche.

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cyx, you are right to be upset. This is a subversion of the democratic process.

Bush and the boys control a secret intellegence apparatus that would have made Stalan jealous. They aren't going to let someone else get into power without pulling out all the stops.

Look how they got control of the US Senate. A convenient plane crash takes out Senator Wellstone. There was an investigation and they said it was an accident. Too convenient if you ask me. If the government would lie about the WMD in Iraq, what's to stop them from covering up something like a little private plane crash? I have not evidence to make such a claim, I am just distrustful of liars, and I let my imagination follow along logically.
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lucidity and reason are the greatest of deductive tools when you are denied access to the raw data concerning matters like this. Emotion must be a servant, not a master, lest the deceptions take root in the soils of sentiment.

Sometimes I wonder what the culmination of this form of dissent will eventually produce. There is a very real possibility that historians will look back on the '60s as the mild stone-age precursor to what is about to take place. What an opportunity, and it is already here.

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is a short distance betewen decency and savagery. If your government could actually manage to go to war, using false premises, would not covering up the assasination of a senator be judgded as common misdemeanor? A glitch. "We wanted him half dead.. he ended up pretty much 100% dead..and then some.. uh... sorry?" I will not claim this is what they did. Your governement has at least proved it cannot be trusted. If this was a lie, what is then true?
I am no fan of Saddam, and it is a tragedy he managed to keep his freak show running for as long as he did. The only right reasons I can see for a war would be taking out Saddam because he was kiiling his people. Think about the alternative here... the coalition teaing up with neighboring countries and stressing a single message: "Saddam, get lost! You cannot simply be allowed to do this to your own people." I am pretty sure that if this had played the right way, the jihad had been against Saddam and not iraqi civilians and american kids. This could have been a victory for the arabian world, and who knows.. this could have turned into a muslim fight for democracy and decency.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr

Last edited by elektro80 on Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am pretty sure the historians will not cover this up.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
I am pretty sure the historians will not cover this up.

Of course, there is a minor wrinkle now that has not before existed, as a tool for documentation and archival in the hands of all people (who have access to a computer and internet connection.)

Most people download porn or music or games or bomb-making instructions, I archive bullshit, and news leaks that I expect to disappear. I think there is a strong case to be made in comparing the internet (or it's potential) with the advent of the printing press and the subversive thought campaigns of the likes of Thomas Paine and "Common Sense." And now we have America.

One thing, oh one thing, leads to a-no-o-o-ther...
-Cy Curnin, The FiXx

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This whole fiasco has driven me to lend a serious ear to Kerry. At first out of spite and defiance (see above), and now out of interest. Very interesting indeed...

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting...

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: