electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
simple but pretty stable/precise vco ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
synth_ollie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: simple but pretty stable/precise vco ? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it need to be pretty precise over at least +/- 1 oct (2 octaves)
I was thinking of the t.h xr2206 vco, any other ideas... ?

OLLIE
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Music from Outer Space VCO.

I just built a couple of the Henry/Stites xr2206, using bugbrand's PCB... the swept/VC skew is a cool sound... but the MfOS would win by a whisker, not least because of the quality PCB available--etching boards is not my favorite.

these are both pretty much simplified to their cores... probably start compromising quality/stability w/ anything simpler...

bbob
toppobrillo

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

don't skimp on the CV summation/current conversion stuff, temperature compensation is critical. [there are a few different approaches to do this]

if you're going the 'electro-notes option whatever' saw-core route with a FET [like MFOS], apparently the MPF-102 isn't the best choice. I haven't had any problem with it, but some do. I have used also a J112 which, apparently, is the same transistor used in the Moog [E112]. in the integrator, i guess it's good to use a low-leakage cap like polystyrene.

[I have this philosophy: if it's good enough for _____ {insert synthesizer manufacturer} it's good enough...]

all that other stuff is wave-shaping circuitry. at the core the VCO is pretty simple. Rene Schmitz has a very simple VCO built around a single 4069 Hex Inverter. check it out...

http://www.uni-bonn.de/~uzs159/

edit::: here is what Takeda has to say about this VCO

http://www.aleph.co.jp/~takeda/radio/farmVCO4069E.html

[[regarding the first line of my reply]] he says: "This circuit didn't use active parts for summing stage for getting simple. It causes something bad for CV inputs. It will going to make a gap of an octave or something. This type not matches for modular type. But it should OK for IN-BOX type."

he also says: "I think 4069 VCO is hot (I mean double in this word) and good, but if it use more less current to work, then I like it more." heheh
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: