electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
interesting circuits
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 3 [54 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
lalito

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: interesting circuits Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello

I found these interesting circuits:

http://home.att.net/~theremin1/Circuit_Library/pseudorandom_tone_gen.htm

http://home.att.net/~theremin1/Circuit_Library/cacophonator.html

http://home.att.net/~theremin1/Circuit_Library/echotone.html

has anyone built one these projects?
synthmonger

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice find! I'll have to try these out.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That cacophonator has a great audio example. http://home.att.net/~theremin1/Circuit_Library/1.mp3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
choklitlove

Audio files: 17

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i've seen those before. they look really cool. yeah, that cacophonator sounds awesome. and only 1 ic!
choklitlove

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

can you guys tell me the purpose of "SW2, CHARGE"? it's right above the battery:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

is that the symbol for momentary? is it some sort of protection? i'm almost done with a pcb layout... thanks!

edit: sorry, i read the rest and it explained. "SW2 is provided to rapidly charge C7, which then discharges slowly into the circuit. In this mode, C7's diminishing voltage, in conjunction with a resistance selected with RV5, provides myriad interesting sonic effects for a period of several minutes."

sounds very cool!
choklitlove

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

okay, finished the layout. i haven't added SW2 yet, but i will soon. here ya go:
*see below posts for updated layout*

please let me know if you guys catch any errors. i made this sort of quickly, and it's my biggest layout attempt so far. thanks!

Last edited by choklitlove on Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Alison Project

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are a few things I noticed, no idea if they have been changed for a reason thou.

C4 - should be 4.7uF
C9 - should be 0.01uF

also C4 from the schematic is missing.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On the schematic, the oscillators on the bottom right, U1E and U1F need to be connected to the output buss with 10K resisitors, like the other four.

On second thought, maybe they are there to pull on the power supply voltage and act as some sort of modulators.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
On the schematic, the oscillators on the bottom right, U1E and U1F need to be connected to the output buss with 10K resisitors, like the other four.

On second thought, maybe they are there to pull on the power supply voltage and act as some sort of modulators.

i thot the same thing at first glance, but the text validates your "second thought"... compromise would be to add a couple switches to connect/disconnect 'em...

nice layout, matt, thanks! i'll probably just perfboard this one, but using your parts placement and routing... having your roadmap really helps, even if i do take a shortcut.

b
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I love circuits like this - very creative...
choklitlove

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry about the errors. i'm fixing as we speak. thanks for the help, and this will be ready to go very soon.
choklitlove

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

updated:
*see below posts for updated layout*

thanks for the help and please let me know if you see any more. after looking at something for so long, you tend to miss things. thanks a lot!

Last edited by choklitlove on Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i think c3 needs to go to pin 5 of IC1, not to pin 6?

b
choklitlove

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you're right. i feel like a moron. i'm on it...

thanks!
choklitlove

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

updated again:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
http://www.geocities.com/worthekik//cacophonator.html

thanks a lot you guys. i looked over it and couldn't find anything else, but evidently that's not saying much. i put a link to this topic on the page so everyone will know you guys helped. see any more?
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i built the cacaphonator this evening, pretty much following matt's PCB layout but hand-wired on perfboard. worked first time, a happy noizy little beastie. not quite the variety of tones as from ray wilsons' wacky project, but some interesting rhythmic spazms--they'll make a nice complementary couple.

i didn't have a 2200uf cap, so i paralleled 2 1000uf, with a switch between so i could select one or both... a worthwhile mod, in conjunction with the momentary power switch it gives a variety of "envelopes"--one of the keys to th coolness of the circuit is the gradual buildup of sound when you power up, and the gradual fade when you turn it off, thanks to those caps.

thanks to lalito for unearthing these, and choklitlove for the layout...

bbob
Coriolis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
didn't have a 2200uf cap, so i paralleled 2 1000uf, with a switch between so i could select one or both... a worthwhile mod, in conjunction with the momentary power switch it gives a variety of "envelopes"--one of the keys to th coolness of the circuit is the gradual buildup of sound when you power up, and the gradual fade when you turn it off, thanks to those caps.

Hmm...how about turning that into a simple little A/R generator so you could the "build-up" and "turn-off" time? Does that make sense?

C
choklitlove

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bbob wrote:

i didn't have a 2200uf cap, so i paralleled 2 1000uf, with a switch between so i could select one or both... a worthwhile mod, in conjunction with the momentary power switch it gives a variety of "envelopes"--one of the keys to th coolness of the circuit is the gradual buildup of sound when you power up, and the gradual fade when you turn it off, thanks to those caps.

wouldn't it be possible to somehow install a pot to control exactly how much of the 2200uF is used? sort of selecting what stage of the envelope you'd like it to stay at? or even selecting different "sizes" or speeds of envelopes? i'm not sure if this is what Coriolis meant... i'm not even sure what i mean.
choklitlove

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

or maybe having several momentary switches each using a different size capacitor in place of the 2200uF? that would be really fun...
fldrvr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't understand why the layout calls for a DPDT. Wouldn't an SPST be enough?

Does anyone have any other sound samples?
choklitlove

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fldrvr wrote:
I don't understand why the layout calls for a DPDT. Wouldn't an SPST be enough?

Does anyone have any other sound samples?

both will work. actually, i think literally any kind of switch will work. i just wrote that because A: that's what i had a picture of, and B: i think a lot of people have a lot of DPDTs and use them for both SPST and DPDT purposes. but, yeah, any will work.

sorry, no more samples than on the theremin page that i'm aware of.
fldrvr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks! was wondering about that.

Could you use a variable capacitor? I've seen a few, and though they're a bit pricey, it might be what you're looking for choklit....

http://www.surplussales.com/Variables/AirVariables/AirVar1.html
bobodamunkey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject:  Cacophonator Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is possibly a really stupid question but I am a newb so i am going to ask anyway. What are the voltages on the caps? I am sure i need to use some sort of standard but i have no idea so can someone clue me in on this?

Much appreciated
Fernando

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe using a relay or something simpler we could control the event generation... so it won't be only manually triggered but triggered from other circuits on a synth....

bbob wrote:
i built the cacaphonator this evening, pretty much following matt's PCB layout but hand-wired on perfboard. worked first time, a happy noizy little beastie. not quite the variety of tones as from ray wilsons' wacky project, but some interesting rhythmic spazms--they'll make a nice complementary couple.

thanks to lalito for unearthing these, and choklitlove for the layout...

bbob
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It runs off a 9V battery, so 9*2 and round up to the next available value gives you 25V caps. (I'm sure 16V would be fine too, that's just the rule I use)
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 3 [54 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: