electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Amusing Apple Vista-bashing vid
Page 4 of 5 [111 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seriously, OS X is pretty secure. You can and should get your mac online. I haven´t had any OS X box hijacked yet. Still, if you turn on all services, no passwords and all that.. sure.. you will get visitors...

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
dewdrop_world

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Rumors and hearsay are indirect unsubstantiated commentaries, and the terms are pejorative. I was relating a personal experience; neither rumor or hearsay.

Reporting a personal experience is fair enough -- and I wouldn't have had any problem with that. My issue is that I had nothing to go on except your words, and your words were not just reporting a personal experience. "On windows machines, iTunes will move your files around" -- this is presented as a statement of fact, and factually, it's not correct.

I have no doubts about your integrity, but it seems to me, then, that you didn't quite say what you meant to begin with. So maybe it isn't too much of a surprise that some misunderstanding followed.

Another way to put it might have been, "The last time I used iTunes, many years ago, it moved the files and deleted them from their original location, which is pretty nasty IMHO, so I never used it again. If that behavior hasn't changed, then I have real problems with it as an application."

That's a reasonable statement. If I had endured a similar experience, I probably would have dumped it too.

kassen wrote:
I'm sure there are ways around all of this and I'm sure those are all easy to accomplish and much preferable but this has left me with extremely bad asociations with Itunes.

And, the part that is not stated (but implied by context), the associations are so bad that they are impervious to any sort of counterargument. That's pretty good working definition of prejudice.

Prejudice against software is of course morally neutral (while prejudice against people or groups brings real harm) -- but as I said, if I feel that someone is prejudiced and I disagree with those opinions, then said opinions are not going to carry much weight with me.

hjh

dewdrop_world

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Since I've been a bit prickly on this thread, I just wanted to add that I don't take any of this personally and I don't have any personal animus toward anyone here. Utmost respect to mosc and kassen, whom I've been picking on lately.

I have a sense of humor about this... it's just software, after all! I use the tools I like and hope that others would do the same, and I don't care if those tools are the same as mine.

Sorry if I've offended anyone in the process. I've tried to stick to opinions and avoid personal attacks but I'm not sure I was wholly successful.

James

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dewdrop_world wrote:

And, the part that is not stated (but implied by context), the associations are so bad that they are impervious to any sort of counterargument. That's pretty good working definition of prejudice.

Well, yes, I am prejudiced against Apple. What you don't mention is that my prejudice against Vista is even worse and I haven't even touched a computer running Vista yet (I once saw one from a meter distance). In all fairness; I've seen Linux do some mind-boggelingly stupid things too, like cheerfully proposing the deletion of the kernel without being able to find the one to replace it.

What you also aren't mentioning is that right now Apple is actively trying to create prejudice; Itunes is a program that many Windows users use too, because of Ipods. The idea is that Windows users start to like the Ipod and Itunes and will want more of this. I have little doubt that this feature of seeing and sorting your files with a Itunes-like interface is aimed at exactly this. Considdering that Apple seems to want me to be prejudiced I don't feel guilty about this in the slightest, this knife cuts two ways.

Similarly, if I have to choose between two instruments about which I know nothing with one being by Yamaha and one being by Korg I'll have the Korg, please. Prejudiced for sure, if people who are without this sin would PM me their adress I'd be happy to send them some first-stones to cast Very Happy

Quote:
Sorry if I've offended anyone in the process. I've tried to stick to opinions and avoid personal attacks but I'm not sure I was wholly successful.

No harm done at all, I find you opinions quite enjoyable to read and reply to, though I have to agree that this isn't the most constructive of topics.

Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:

What you also aren't mentioning is that right now Apple is actively trying to create prejudice; Itunes is a program that many Windows users use too, because of Ipods. The idea is that Windows users start to like the Ipod and Itunes and will want more of this. I have little doubt that this feature of seeing and sorting your files with a Itunes-like interface is aimed at exactly this. Considdering that Apple seems to want me to be prejudiced I don't feel guilty about this in the slightest, this knife cuts two ways.

Yeah, although that's a pretty neutral marketing ploy compared some other aspects of Itunes.
Quote:
Probe may delay change in digital-music prices
http://news.com.com/Probe+may+delay+change+in+digital-music+prices/2100-1027_3-6016879.html
The probe comes at a crucial juncture in the relationship between record labels and online music stores, a moment when the all-but-standard 99-cent, one-price-fits-all model pioneered by Apple's iTunes store has come under increasing pressure from the labels.
Music executives have said they want to be able to respond to market forces with more flexibility, such as charging more than 99 cents for top singles, or less for slow-moving older songs.

Quote:
EU confirms inquiry into iTunes pricing
. . . alleging that iTunes was breaching competition rules by preventing consumers in one country from downloading songs less expensively from the Apple Internet store in another country. He said this violated antitrust rules because prices differed across the 27-member bloc, limiting consumer choice.

Price fixing and other inequities in pricing, for which Apple have come under fire for years.

My first Apple computer in 27 years will ship this afternoon, and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it banana . Given tribulations by myself and some acquaintances using fast Alienware machines, and my family's last couple batches of XP machines, I believe an Apple machine will be more reliable. What really drove this decision, though, was both total disinterest in being forced eventually to Vista, and the increasing brazenness of Microsoft's monopolistic tactics. A few months ago, for example, I bought the latest MS Office 'Student Edition' because it differs from the 'Corporate Edition' (or whatever it's called) by containing only Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, which are the only Office tools I need to use, and it's considerably less expensive. Well, not only is there an odoius 'agreement' that I will use this only for non-commercial purposes (read: if you are going to make any money using this, we are going to milk you by charging you for tools you don't want), but in this year's version they plaster a FOR NON-COMMERCIAL USE ONLY banner across the top of every screen, making you look like a schmuck if you were to give a presentation to anyone using this stuff. Fortunately, my college kids can get legitimate use out of this crap, and I can hold onto a junker laptop loaned from my client company that has a 'legitimate business' copy of Office.

So, yeah, in bitching about these companies, it's fair enough to say we should be accurate and specific, but I also think it's a good idea to maintain a certain amount of distaste for these corporate entities and their products on principle. Corporations to no small degree run the U.S., unfortunately, and that state exists to no small degree because their 'consumers' are perfectly happy to roll over and play dead as the corporations step on them. There's a general trend generally to take over individual's personal data as though it belonged to these companies, and sure there are click thru agreements and the rest of it, but maybe there ought to be a little more complaining, and certainly ought to be more oversight and more choices. Best I can do is vote with my small purchases and try to avoid getting into a similar relationship with a new supplier.

As for maintaining accuracy on the Forum, from my perspective at least, some of these threads are technical and call for a certain amount of accuracy, and some of them are like going to a break with work buddies. Plenty of unsubstantiated griping in the mix at some of those break time gatherings, and certainly appropriate there. I don't get to go to break with my buddies since I was shitcanned and am working in mostly solitude, so this is break time for me, and I'll probably be less careful in editing my thoughts than I will be in a technical post.

Have a good weekend. Very Happy

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just avoid all this hubub. If I OWN it, I should be able to OPEN it. I use only tools that work well for me. If I don't have a good experience, I will share that with others. As I do by sharing good experiences as well. I don't agree with any marketing ploy that falsifies information, operates through anger, hate, or brand loyalty or disloyalty, or binds a user to specific file formats, and agreements that disable my *use* of the software, especially once it's PAID for. If I PAID for it, I will use it to make money, or create art, or however else I choose. This, to me, is FAIR TRADE.

I don't understand why people treat computers like sports teams, as if your team's performance has a direct reflection on YOU. I don't understand sports loyalty either for that matter. Why is everything good or evil? Screw all that, use what works for you.
dewdrop_world

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Acoustic Interloper wrote:
A few months ago, for example, I bought the latest MS Office 'Student Edition' because it differs from the 'Corporate Edition' (or whatever it's called) by containing only Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, which are the only Office tools I need to use, and it's considerably less expensive. Well, not only is there an odoius 'agreement' that I will use this only for non-commercial purposes (read: if you are going to make any money using this, we are going to milk you by charging you for tools you don't want), but in this year's version they plaster a FOR NON-COMMERCIAL USE ONLY banner across the top of every screen, making you look like a schmuck if you were to give a presentation to anyone using this stuff.

When your Mac arrives, consider downloading NeoOffice. Well, if you depend heavily on PowerPoint it may not be the best choice, but Word and Excel compatibility is quite good.

With NeoOffice, I haven't felt a need at any time to load M$ Office onto my mac.

James

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dewdrop_world wrote:
Sorry if I've offended anyone in the process.

All's well, James. I very much respect your knowledge and experience, and in time I'm sure I'll start to dig your sense of humor too. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dewdrop_world wrote:
When your Mac arrives, consider downloading NeoOffice. Well, if you depend heavily on PowerPoint it may not be the best choice, but Word and Excel compatibility is quite good.

With NeoOffice, I haven't felt a need at any time to load M$ Office onto my mac.

James

Thanks, I'll check it out. My MS Office usage has been driven almost entirely by a client wanting to use it for revision tracking on specs & patent applications that I'm writing, so as long as it works for that application, it's OK with me. I prefer Framemaker and was rev'ing that & generating RTF for my client, but the process got too cumbersome. I like Framemaker, or at least I'm used to it. I seem to be able to control it, instead of the other way around.

My kids also thought it would be a good idea to learn Word before going to college, sad but true. Funny how these things become de facto standards. Last year's DAFX2006 was the first time I *had* to submit a final paper in Word, although happily the grad student running the conference graciously converted it to Word for me. Before that, PDF was good enough; proprietary format as well.

Did my dissertation in 1990 using troff, with all the illustrations done using a schematic capture tool from Bell Labs that I was engineering at the time (I retrofitted multilevel undo/redo into it; quite a job for a program without any planning for that capability). Guess I should *really* get around to learning LaTeX one of these days. That'll be after SC, ChucK, MAX/MSP and Kyma, of course . And probably TurboTax next year Shocked . I'm a businessman now. Uncle Joe Stalin

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
Similarly, if I have to choose between two instruments about which I know nothing with one being by Yamaha and one being by Korg I'll have the Korg, please.

Possibly OT:

I'm curious: what is bad about Yamaha? I have somehow built up a kind of liking for Yamaha synths, on the basis that they are sturdy (if you look at the 80s stuff), unique (as in they do stuff that often veer away from the mainstream synth trends as in the DX7 and, later, physical modelling stuff), and they look good (I bought the An1x because I loved the way they put 8 knobs in clinical rows instead of making a mess of dedicated faders and knobs).

/Stefan

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, I just like the way Korg interfaces work and often can't make sense of Yamaha's on a deeper, more practical level. The remark was just meant to illustrate that we all have preferences and those could count as "prejudices" as well. You can subsituted Clavia and Roland if you'd like and have a strong opinion there... Or M-audio....

The an1x is kinda a exception, I realy liked that one when I fooled around with it for a evening, the ribbon was especially great. The RS7000 looks excelent too.

As a rule of thumb I don't think most Yamaha's are aimed at making your own sounds and more at selecting presets but then again, a friend of mine is a wizzard at programing the DX7 and his sounds just blow you away.

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
a friend of mine is a wizzard at programing the DX7 and his sounds just blow you away.

ummm, some fresh input for the DX2G2 converter?

I wonder if you could convince him to post a zip file of a few of his banks?
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's a good question. I'll ask him.

I'm not promissing anything though, those are his sounds, of course, and maybe he considders them private.

brinxmat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Seriously, OS X is pretty secure. You can and should get your mac online. I haven´t had any OS X box hijacked yet. Still, if you turn on all services, no passwords and all that.. sure.. you will get visitors...

Hmm. You're only as secure as the update you're running: http://projects.info-pull.com/moab/

Boohoo. If Apple gutted osx of OS9-legacy (HFS+, Carbon, etc.), and then did proper, updated *NIX, I'd be back in a flash.

I believe that you're right, though, still better than the mainstream alternative when it comes to security.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dewdrop_world wrote:

iWork's Pages is pretty damn good too. I've been using Pages for a year now- and it's a brilliant word processor. It can also function rather like Quark Xpress to boot.

But you should get NeoOffice as well- just to piss-off Microsoft! Cool

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iWork 08 is pretty nice... http://www.apple.com/iwork/

Keynote is so far my favorite. It can open and save Powerpoint files too.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
OSX did screw up BSD. This is why all the business that I know that were running OSX servers have dumped them. The reason, you need to use a GUI application to manage the server, and many of the text based config files either don't work or they don't work like the BSD versions. Our experience is that you can't even run apache without using the Apple apache GUI managers. So, if you need to run various versions of UNIX in a shop, OSX stands out as a completely different animal. People are even dropping the Apple file servers, which, BTW, are a good value.

True, you can run X11 on a Mac, but none of the applications work under X11, except Unix ports.

Well, I got my first feel of the wrong end of this stick last night. Been building Tcl/Tk from source since 1995, on assorted Solaris versions, Windoze NT-95-98-2000-XP, and I think a flavor of Linux in there somewhere, as a UI & extension lannguage into various DIY tools. Most recently I haven't been using the prebuilt Windoze versions because they aren't built for multithreading by default, which I need.

Well, the docs for the build say that the OSX build is just like any other UNIX build, and Tcl builds and tests well enough, but Tk/wish building repeatedly trips trying to find & use a proper X11. I searched out a number of X11 'libraries' on the machine, and none of them ever got the build all the way through compile and link. I had it down to failed linking at the end. So much for standards. I see an 'Aqua' version out on the net; can't tell for sure it's built the way I want.

Fortunately in this case, when I went back & tried the Tcl/Tk that came on the machine, it's an OK version that at least says it was built with multithreading enabled. The next challenge will be porting my DIY MIDIME package, for which I have very small 'osstuff' and 'osmidi' abstraction APIs. Here's hoping they actually use pthreads, for example, and not maccy-threads or whatever. The coreaudio looks like the MIDI port should be OK.

Yeah, it beats my 1980 Apple II Plus that I bought for the same $ amount, and at least I can fire up a builtin bash and run make as one of my first steps (to my son's amusement), but it really is a consumer machine in the same sense as consumer music. Look & feel & usage patterns I can get used to, but being a software architect, I feel disappointed at the monolithic structure of the software. Once again a matter of working *around* the OS. This partly comes down to a lack of respect for architecture, combined with lack of respect for standards. It makes writing substantial applications that are *portable* a pain in the ass. Semi-captive application markets and programmers.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The next challenge will be porting my DIY MIDIME package, for which I have very small 'osstuff' and 'osmidi' abstraction APIs. Here's hoping they actually use pthreads, for example, and not maccy-threads or whatever. The coreaudio looks like the MIDI port should be OK.

Try: Core Audio Overview

Make sure you have installed the complete Developer package ( on the systm DVD ) and grab X11 from that one too. Run Software update in case there are some vital stuff that has been updated.. but you machine is new so I don´t´think much has changed for the last 2 weeks or so.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Try: Core Audio Overview

Make sure you have installed the complete Developer package ( on the systm DVD ) and grab X11 from that one too. Run Software update in case there are some vital stuff that has been updated.. but you machine is new so I don´t´think much has changed for the last 2 weeks or so.

Thanks. I downloaded/installed an xcode developer's package last night. I guess this is the same as what's on the DVD, but I'll double check. Shouldn't be too bad, once I get past the teething pains. Looking over Core Audio docs is one reason I decided to give OSX a whirl

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

The download is the way to go, the dvd version is pretty old.

Cheers

Andy
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I feel like a bone headed novice again, but with a trip to Canada coming up tomorrow and time running short, I decided to go for practicality rather than ego. I have now tripped over an X11 library issue for the second time, and combing the web, the installation disks and the Developer Connection doesn't look promising . . .
elektro80 wrote:

Yep, I had downloaded & installed the Apple Dev. Conn. stuff the first night, and I checked update, all OK there. But I have installed the second non-Apple-blessed piece of code that wants to use X11, and this, too, is choking because it cannot find X11 libraries. Problem looks simple enough. The application (graphviz, a freebie from AT&T Labs that was done in Bell Labs -- I used it to save a project in the mid-90's by graphing the static call graph of a debugger that our management was trying to jam down our throats -- horrible spaghetti call graph, took all night to graph on a Sparc! I am hoping to use it to lay out Markov chains for high level live coding.) is looking for /usr/X11R6/lib, but there is no X11R6 under /usr. There is a /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/X11R6 directory with full fleshed out include and lib subdirectories, but

1. Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point into here has no effect on the graphviz application, so I have to assume the load path is hard coded. I had *so* hoped not to have to muck with source for this app that was supposedly "configured for OSX 10.foo."

2. I thought I could just symbolically link /usr/X11R6 to the directory containing the meat, but apparently I do not have superuser priveleges as an 'administrator' on this machine, so I don't have permission to add the link by hand.

So, maybe there's a Developer -> to -> System installer of some sort that I can't find? My guess is that I'll be tripping over similar disconnects in the future, and it sure would be nice to find the correct solution to this prticular problem, since it's probably not the last piece of downloaded code to want X11R6 is the right place.
mosc wrote:
True, you can run X11 on a Mac, but none of the applications work under X11, except Unix ports.

Is this what you were talking about, Howard? I wasn't exactly sure what this meant when you wrote it.

Thanks.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is this what you were talking about, Howard? I wasn't exactly sure what this meant when you wrote it.

Sorta. I've never tried to get an X11 server running on a Mac. I did try to get X11 apps to run remotely on my X11 server running on my XP machine. The only ones that would work are the few X11 apps that come with X11 (xeyes etc.). Maybe it is obvious, but you can't run any of the Mac apps - finder, Safari - any of them - under X. I hate that. (before start another flame war, Windows apps are the same).

Any way, my guess is you're best luck will be to get an X server to run in a Mac window. Someone must have figured that out.

If you use OSX in terminal mode, you have to be a bit careful. For example, don't try normal Unix stuff that might touch a system file, like changing your password with the passwd command, or editing an apache config file with vi. They re-designed UNIX to be administered from their GUI admin tools. If you touch something with vi it gets very confused. (My guess is it keeps all the config information in an internal database and when updates are made, it writes the appropriate text config files. It doesn't have full parsers for all the config files - that makes for a one way street; GUI <DB> files. Just my guess, I could be wrong about this).

You can log on as root if your username is in the wheel group (I think that's how to do it). The best way is something like "sudo bash". Then your user password will work as the root password. You may have better luck installing your software as root. Just be very careful, and after you do what you have to do, be sure to get out of the root shell.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Any way, my guess is you're best luck will be to get an X server to run in a Mac window. Someone must have figured that out.

If you use OSX in terminal mode, you have to be a bit careful. For example, don't try normal Unix stuff that might touch a system file, like changing your password with the passwd command, or editing an apache config file with vi. They re-designed UNIX to be administered from their GUI admin tools. If you touch something with vi it gets very confused. (My guess is it keeps all the config information in an internal database and when updates are made, it writes the appropriate text config files. It doesn't have full parsers for all the config files - that makes for a one way street; GUI <DB> files. Just my guess, I could be wrong about this).

You can log on as root if your username is in the wheel group (I think that's how to do it). The best way is something like "sudo bash". Then your user password will work as the root password. You may have better luck installing your software as root. Just be very careful, and after you do what you have to do, be sure to get out of the root shell.

Thanks. I logged into the Apple Developers Connection, searched on X11, and the page I found said that X11 is an option I could install from the installation CDs. Well, being the careful, conservative soul that I am, I selected 'install bundle apps' first, and it never asked me which ones I wanted or told me that they were already installed, it just installed them again. The I selected 'upgrade OSX,' figuring again I'd see a list of options, but it just asked me to reboot and then started re-installing the OSX that's already in there. I am hoping it won't clobber all the work I have done already, but what the hell? I wanted to learn about OSX, and now I am learning. Into the second hour of the re-install of OSX Shocked

I'll have to look for that wheel group. Putting a symbolic link to X11R6 should be pretty innocuous, although that may not do it. I hate putting little shims in if there is a proper way to do this. (Shortly after the Kernighan & Plauger *Software Tools* book came out, I gave a talk on *Software Shims* at the Western Electric Engineering Research Center in Princeton, early 80's I guess. Some things never change.)

The GUI supercession of config files is something I had already gotten used to with flavors of Linux -- or changes in the id or location of primary config files -- what can one do?

Oops. my two hours reinstall of OSX just completed, never saw any X11 options. Looks like I didn't lose anything! Didn't gain much, either, although I did get to take the beagle for a walk.

dewdrop_world

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But I have installed the second non-Apple-blessed piece of code that wants to use X11, and this, too, is choking because it cannot find X11 libraries. Problem looks simple enough. The application (graphviz, a freebie from AT&T Labs that was done in Bell Labs -- I used it to save a project in the mid-90's by graphing the static call graph of a debugger that our management was trying to jam down our throats -- horrible spaghetti call graph, took all night to graph on a Sparc! I am hoping to use it to lay out Markov chains for high level live coding.) is looking for /usr/X11R6/lib, but there is no X11R6 under /usr...

Does it work with Apple's X11 server? This is an optional install that's distributed on the CD-ROM that came with your machine.

Also, in the interest of expediency, you might try the OSX port of graphviz: http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/

hjh

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
The best way is something like "sudo bash". Then your user password will work as the root password.

Yep, "sudo bash" got me in -- I was trying a slightly different mantra -- but the symbolic link didn't help. The app says it can't map the libXrender.1.dylib that it finds. Back to the drawring bored.

Have a good weekend.

Page 4 of 5 [111 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Jump to: