electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Using software LFO and envelopes
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
knuttability

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Using software LFO and envelopes Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!

I'm planning on buying a Modcan Series B setup and a Doepfer MCV24 to control it. I'm wondering if it is feasable to only use the LFOs and envelopes the MCV24 generates, in order to free up the rack for other units.

Am I being to optimistic in regard to the MCV24's capabilities since the outputs are only 8 bits (except the ones for pitch control)?

I don't have much prior experience with CV.

Should I consider another CV-unit?
synthbaron

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd go with the Encore Expressionist:

http://www.encoreelectronics.com/cont_expres.html

I think it's the only MIDI/CV that has all 16-bit outputs.
Per

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have used the MCV24 in two years to control my Eurorack modular synth. And it does the job every day, without any problems.
It has a portamento function to cover the low resolution in the 8 bit outputs, when used for LFO and envelope. I guess that will stop the fastest envelopes to be used. On the other hand, there are four high resolution channels that can deliver fast CV changes.
I use it to transfer stepped CV from a Clavia G2 and for that purpose, all the 12 midi/CV channels works well.
One drawback is that the ADSR and LFO are embedded in the menu system. And that is to me the opposite of modular work. I guess that after working in that menu for a while, you end up buying LFO and envelope modules anyhow.
At least I would do so.
Per
knuttability

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for replying!

The MCV24 seems better than the expressionist in several ways, even though the expressionist has all 16 bits converters. Doepfer claims that the slew function (as you call portamento) on their outputs will give better results than many 16 bits converters. This might be true on the 12 bits outs, but I'm more sceptical regarding the other 8 bits.

Nevertheless, it should be noted that the MCV24 has a really flexible modulation matrix with lots of LFOs and envelopes. The expressionist does not have any envelopes, as well as a somewhat weaker matrix. I also like the fact that the jacks are on the frontside of MCV24 - very practical, and there are more of them of course, 24 on the Doepfer while 16 on the Encore.

> One drawback is that the ADSR and LFO are embedded in the menu system.

Does this mean you can't program them with an external MIDI controller?
Per

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Both LFO and ADSR can be controlled by midi. There are also some other nice things, like the LFO can be free running or act as a midi clock divider, providing midi sync LFO waveforms. It can also deliver common S/H and digital random pulses, with different length for gate/trigger use.
And for being a menue programmable device, it is rather simple to program.
Another feature is that it can run in different modes. I use it för up 12 mono CV/gate channels, but it can also read polyphonic keyboard midi, with high or last note priority. I think it is a powerful, stable and reliable piece of gear.
Per
erich

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was also interested in the doepfer MCV24. I read that you can't control the speed of the software LFO's with midi messages I believe. Somewhat dissapointing. I'm assuming you can just use midi data to control the speed of you analog LFO's if you need to do that. Is that the case? It doesn't seem to be that much of a problem if so, but the review I saw made it sound like a big deal. I guess it's a problem if you want to use LFO's to control alot of things at once while changing their speed. Over all though, it seems to be the most flexible midi to cv converter that I have looked at. I have a somewhat vague question. I also read something about how it was optimized for cv/octave but could also be used with synths that were cv/freq. Hopefully someone knows what I am talking about, I may be saying that wrong. I am new to analogue synths. I wanted to get a metasonix wretch machine, which uses cv/freq to control pitch. I basically want to skip as much of putting together a big modular system as I can but use midi to replace alot of modulation options. (Money) I would just get analog gear that generates or effects sound. I have a limited budget and I would like to know what less ignorant people think of this. Like I said, I'm new to this. Again, I'm very curious as to opinions on the capabilities of the MCV24 when controling using cv/freq instead of what it's optimized for. Answers and comments to any and all this will be appreciated. Sorry, I know a dumped alot of things in here.

There is a review in soundonsound mag online by the way
Per

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have not used the LFO or envelopes it the software, I got enough of in the hardwarw area, and it much easier to use it that way. But I do have a v/Hz module, a Metasínix VCO, and that runs good (or ans good as a Metasonix unit does) on the output CV.
Per
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: