electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
The Thomas Henry "Clangora"
Page 1 of 4 [95 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: The Thomas Henry "Clangora" Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll start this just by asking again if anyone has a schem for the Clangora?

Last edited by Uncle Krunkus on Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
synth_ollie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I may have the schemo, will check.....

here´s a soundclip :

http://nutsvolts.com/~downloads/clangora.mp3

the 3 individual sound components sound ok, but in the end he makes a very boring hihat sound out of them....

cheers

OLLIE
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="synth_ollie"]
the 3 individual sound components sound ok, but in the end he makes a very boring hihat sound out of them.../quote]

Laughing

I remember Scott mentioning something along the lines of this about Mr Henry.

Something along the lines of why anyone would want noises that sound out of the ordinary? Shocked Laughing

Is one ever too old to drop psychadelics??

I suppose Huxley did it on his death bed?

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I remember Scott mentioning something along the lines of this about Mr Henry.

I think that was in reference to Thomas' design goal for the SN-Voice. His idea was that there are somewhere near a quarter zillion SN76477 based noise makers out there, and he wanted to see if it could be corralled for more tempered music, the *one* thing few had really done with the thing. In retrospect, I believe envisioning and accomplishing that goal with an SN76477 certainly implies more creative thinking than just hammering out another design that exploits the out-of-the-box weirdness of the SN76477. Ironically, the tameness the SN-Voice can attain would be considered weird in a world of whacko SN76477 noise generators. And, nicely, it can step into the realm of the weird, whilst most other SN76477 devices cannot do vice versa.

I certainly don't hold the view that he's only interested in designs that produce only common mundane sounds/music. That's left up to the operator of his or anybody's devices.

Cheers,
Scott
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
And, nicely, it can step into the realm of the weird, whilst most other SN76477 devices cannot do vice versa.

Cool

I'm looking forward to those boards Very Happy

But you have to admit, for a long time there was too much emphasis on squeezing the most mundane of sounds out of equipment that held far more than the ordinary. Yes there have been many SN7 designs, but the majority of them were designed to produce the sounds of helicopters, chuffing trains and police sirens etc etc.

I was hoping that the DSC would produce crazy noises, but it didn't (quite). Here we have yet another SN7 design, but still the modulation mixer section is ignored- yet again. Howabout 2x SN7's cross modulating each other? One for production of sound, the other for modulation etc.

That's given me more ideas for my sequencer Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
I certainly don't hold the view that he's only interested in designs that produce only common mundane sounds/music. That's left up to the operator of his or anybody's devices.

Okay- I take back what I said Laughing

I'm just listening to the mp3. That's no boring hi-hat!!

NICE Cool

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, it's not a boring hi-hat at all. Just a bit cheesy.
It sounds very capable of producing both mundane and twisted sounds.
It's got my thumbs up. Very Happy

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
No, it's not a boring hi-hat at all. Just a bit cheesy.
It sounds very capable of producing both mundane and twisted sounds.
It's got my thumbs up

The Clangora is an interesting synthesizer in that you can use all the sound components together, such as clank, clatter and impact, to produce a electronic Hi-Hat sound OR mix or omit any amount of these sounds to produce some real interesting results. You can really get some real "metallic" sounds from it since lots of the modulation techniques are FM based.

It can sound a bit cheesy but in the right hands, can really produce some real "weirdness". I tend to use as part of several layers of sound to produce a percussive sound instead of using it alone in a mix.

Samples to follow , for now, it's onto my SN Voice and then back to this thread Very Happy

Bill
synth_ollie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Thomas Henry "Clangoria" Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
I'll start this just by asking again if anyone has a schem for the Clangoria?

well I´ve checked now, but Im afraid I dont have it...

in another post state machine wrote :

Quote:
There is an entire article on it from N&V magazine. I will copy the entire writeup and send it to you. Just PM your address and I will get that out to you.?

I guess this article must include the schemo ?

OLLIE
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I guess this article must include the schemo ?

You are correct. The article includes schematic, layout and theory of operation. It's quite good. The back issue is available.

It's the November, 2003 issue:

http://www.nutsvolts.com/toc_Pages/nov03toc.htm

Bill
ickystay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's a nice pcb and layout (Clangora.zip) in their "ftp main library".

http://www.nutsvolts.com/%7Edownloads/
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
The back issue is available.

It's the November, 2003 issue:

Folks, it may be worth pointing out that you/we may need permission to get/ or print the schematic on electro-music, from both NutsandVolts mag and Thomas Henry himself.

The date of publication was only 3 years back.

I know Howard's quite nervous about this sort of thing- and he has every right to be too.

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Folks, it may be worth pointing out that you/we may need permission to get/ or print the schematic on electro-music, from both NutsandVolts mag and Thomas Henry himself.

The date of publication was only 3 years back.

I know Howard's quite nervous about this sort of thing- and he has every right to be too.

Point well taken, I agree very much with you on this and that is why there is a link to the back issue that I posted. If you want it, buy the issue. This is the safest way to do this and to keep electro-music legal.

BTW:

Here are some attributes of the Clangora:

* Impact, clatter and clank
* Tunable, dissonant noise source
* 2 envelope generators
* 2 VCAs
* 3 VCOs
* Open and closed triggers
* Footpedal option
* Impact tone and volume
* Clank pitch, FM and sweep
* Clatter pitch and sweep
* 2 send/receive effects loops
* 4-channel mixer with aux in
* Master volume and output
* 3 status LEDs
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cool

Folks, I wrote to NutsandVolts magazine asking for permission for E-M to upload the Clangora schematics, and their Editor Larry Lemieux has written back and given us permission.

However, we must credit them as the source ("schematics/ images reproduced with kind permission from nutsandvolts magazine" etc). They also don't want the circuit to be used for commercial purposes- which is fair enough.

Tom Smile

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Tom. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Folks, I wrote to NutsandVolts magazine asking for permission for E-M to upload the Clangora schematics, and their Editor Larry Lemieux has written back and given us permission.

However, we must credit them as the source ("schematics/ images reproduced with kind permission from nutsandvolts magazine" etc). They also don't want the circuit to be used for commercial purposes- which is fair enough.

Very good. Thanks !!! Very Happy

Bill
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now we need that schematic Very Happy
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Now we need that schematic Very Happy

OK, I have all [8] pages of the original "Clangora" article scanned and converted into .PDF files. It's from the Nuts and Volts Nov., 2003 issue.

I can store them on my personal web space and post a link on this forum to them since each page is about 1MB. OR, I can just upload (attach) all 8 pages in a post on this thread.

The question is, did we get permission for the schematic only, or can I upload and post the entire article for EM users to see?

If not the entire article, then I can crop the schematics only from the document and post them as JPEG or GIF files .......

Bill
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:

The question is, did we get permission for the schematic only, or can I upload and post the entire article for EM users to see?

The entire article.

But we MUST adhere to the regulations set by NutsandVolts. i.e. they must not be used for commercial purposes and we must credit the origin of the sources.

Can you lower the size (in photoshop?), but still maintain decent resolution? If not (or you don't have photoshop)- post them to me and I'll resize them Smile

PS (OT) Bill, can you reserve me a SN7 board- I will have some more cash in the new year.

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Can you lower the size (in photoshop?), but still maintain decent resolution? If not (or you don't have photoshop)- post them to me and I'll resize them

OK, I will do that tonight. I wil also make it one composite PDF that encompasses all 8 pages instead of (Cool separate PDF files for each page of the article.

hang tight guys ... Very Happy

Bill
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bill, if you have any problems with attachments, please let me know by PM and we will get it straightened out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Bill, if you have any problems with attachments, please let me know by PM and we will get it straightened out.

Thanks, will do Very Happy I will give you a shout if need be .... I will scale the individual PDF files to a reasonable size then make the composite PDF tonight ... I have the Adobe Professional 6.0 and it should be able to do that.

Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I'll start this just by asking again if anyone has a schem for the Clangora?

OK Unkle Krunkus, see what you stirred up here ... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The following schematics/ images / text reproduced within the attached PDF document has been reproduced with the kind permission from Nuts And Volts magazine. (ISSN 1528-9885/CDN Pub Agree #40702530)

T&L Publications Inc.
430 Princeland Court
Corona, CA 92879

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL THIS MATERIAL BE USED FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES ....

http://www.nutsvolts.com/

Subscriptions Mail to:

PO Box 15277
North Hollywood, CA
91615-9211
Local Phone Number: 1-818-487-4545
USA Toll Free Subscription line: 1-877-525-2539
USA Toll Free Book & Back issue(Orders Only): 1-800-783-4624

https://www.pubservice.com/Subnew1.aspx?PC=NV

PDF created from:

Nuts and Volts, Vol 24. No 11. Nov, 2003
Page 44, Clangora Percussion Synth
"Apply VCO and VCA designs to build an electronic hi-hat"
By Thomas henry

clangora.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  clangora.pdf
 Filesize:  3.87 MB
 Downloaded:  1637 Time(s)

goodrevdoc

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, thanks State. Hmmm... three 566's. Seems lofty for a hi-hat synth, but if thats what it takes...
Page 1 of 4 [95 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: