electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Persevering with the G2
Page 1 of 2 [31 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
sheridan

Audio files: 27
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Persevering with the G2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there,

this is really a message for all newcomers and G2 beginners.

Before I got my G2, I was under the 'illusion' that when I had my G2, it would solve all of my 'missing' sound problems, enabling me to attain any sound (especially drums) that I wanted. When I bought it, I was (I have to admit) a little disappointed in that respect.

Of course, I loved it all the same, but I soon noticed that certain sounds were unobtainable, due to the filters, or digital sound, or whatever. I also noticed that I was spending all my time patching and not so much actually making music in my studio.

I kept patching away all the same, working mainly with sequencers. Over time, I have found that working in this way, with the G2 as a self contained music making machine is a very 'organic' way of making music, ie. it can evolve easily, producing unexpected (but pleasing) results, which can all be recorded into an external MIDI sequencer.

It turned out that these performances have actually produced some great sounds that I have since used in my studio and all the while, this continuous patching has improved my modular synthesis knowledge, which has enabled me to finally attain most of the sounds that I couldn't create before (including drums). I'm currently working on a track that almost entirely came from these G2 'experiments'... it's sounding great!

The point is, it's definitely worth putting in some time to learn how to get the most out of your G2... it offers so much more than you realise when you first use it! Very Happy

Happy Nording!

Hear music and Nord Modular G2 patches and find out music production tips at
http://www.nitetimeproductions.co.uk
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I second that... I found my voice in the NM/G2 --- It's the core of who I am musically speaking. I just kept patching and patching and patching, and eventually the results became better and better.

for me, plugging away on the NM Classic and then the G2 turned into a complete groove drum & bass (& sometimes more) creation studio. The NM Classic was what I used for my learning curve, the G2 is the real production center.

But now, a little blue punk (aka Dave Smith Evolver desktop) has joined to club, and I can say it loves to scream and stomp along with the G2 grooves. Last night (until 4am) I was lining my G2 grooves up while using the Evolver in between and for backing. It was a rave ...

Merry Xmas folks!
/Dasz
Unfed

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

definitely. i use the G2 for pretty much everything and plan to keep doing so. being able to create full 'compositions' with just one totally flexible machine, along with the amazing custom interface is unmatched for me. i think for some people it can be the perfect performance synth.

i was thinking some months back about selling off my G2 after i got Reaktor. i'm sure glad i didn't, i was never able to connect with Reaktor like i have with the Nord (though i'm still quite a novice patcher). i really enjoy the community here as well, and would definitely miss that.

astroid power-up!

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

still on the learning curve. loving every second. Very Happy
plastocid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just got a G2 and after playing with it for a couple of days I already love it. I've come to realize that it will take me a huge amount of time and energy to get the most out of the instrument but as I'm having such fun with it, this will hopefully just be a matter of time. I also just got a machinedrum uw (for which the same is true about time and energy, perhaps even more so) and I hope there will be a happy marrige between the two in the future. Smile
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

plastocid wrote:
I also just got a machinedrum uw (for which the same is true about time and energy, perhaps even more so) and I hope there will be a happy marrige between the two in the future. Smile

They work really well togheter Smile
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-11362.html
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-11367.html

enjoy your new toys!
kkissinger

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Persevering with the G2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sheridan wrote:
The point is, it's definitely worth putting in some time to learn how to get the most out of your G2...

This is so true of any piece of equipment.

True dedication allows one to realize an instrument's potential.

Most keyboards today have preset patches that are designed to sound unique and compelling in a music-store environment -- they are designed with the sale in mind. However, what sounds great in a music store may not be the perfect patch for one's recording project. Most folks here delve way beyond the presets though!

A great piece of equipment such as the G2 provides continuous challenge. A good instrument invites experimentation and is an endless source of rewards (and, at times, exasperation).

My experience has been that to acquire and learn a few instruments is more satisfying than an endless pursuit of more gear. (Which is a funny thing for me to say because it seems I have more STUFF than I have space)

Though I own a K2600 to hear the Nord patches has encouraged me to dig deeper into the K2600's V.A.S.T. programming and KDFX. Many times, after hearing a particular sound, I'll run to my K2600 or Aries and try my hand at reproducing it.

Alas... when I see the .pch files posted, I don't have the hardware to hear them. I thought I saw somewhere that one can download a Nord demo (software) synth that can play the patches. Does anyone have any comments on this?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Persevering with the G2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kkissinger wrote:
Does anyone have any comments on this?

Yes there is a G2 demo version that is able to play some of the patches. As this demo uses a DSP emulation on your computer it is not very performant compared to the real thing, but it is certainly usable on recent computers. There are some limitations, some modules can't be used (MIDI automation stuff, some I/O modules, the DX 7 modules and the vocoder). Another limitation is that you can only load one patch, not four and no performances. Also that one patch can only be used monophonic.

I'd have loved to point you directly to the download but Clavia changed their website to make this impossible (seemingly) - you'll have to go through products / G2 / downloads and then it's at the bottom right of the page.

sheridan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Persevering with the G2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kkissinger wrote:
Alas... when I see the .pch files posted, I don't have the hardware to hear them. I thought I saw somewhere that one can download a Nord demo (software) synth that can play the patches. Does anyone have any comments on this?

Yes... go get a G2! Well worth it... you could hook it up to all your other gear and have a party!! Very Happy

P.S. You can find the editor here: http://www.clavia.se/products/nordmodular/software.htm

dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I must say that the G2 is the centre of my daily enjoyment since I got it. I don't make much music now but I love to experiment and patch, I find it far more rewarding than just listening to preset patches or libraries on my now almost laid-aside Motif ES.

I'm the type of guy who feels happy learning new things and this forum along with the G2 is a nearly infinite source of knowledge. Still, there's a lot of technical vocabulary I don't understand from you guys Very Happy

dasz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The way I learned the NM/G2 is by becoming familiar/comfortable/expert with a subset of the available modules. Then over time, moving on to other families of modules.

Trying to patch with all the available modules is a bit overwhelming, and it is easy to lose sight of what you were trying to accomplish because you are figuring out how something works.

An example might be breaking down the learning process into phases (which can last months, even years) such as:

1. A starting set is the modules which make up a subtractive synth plus some drums and sequencers, mixers and some effects.

2. Then move on to FM, Spectral Oscs, String Osc, Amp/Ring Mod, control signal mixing.

3. Then Randomization, feedback loops, Comb filtering.

Just some ideas. This way discover new modules in order (not all at once), so when you move onto a new family of modules, it is like getting a new OS (since this is something we do not get often enough).

The only problem with the G2/NM is that it is so much FUN! All you want to do is patch, and so no music gets done (unless you are making complete sequences/tracks with it like Blue Hell, Sheridan, Unfed, Mother Misty, and me to name a few).
/Dasz

SetupDZ-Evolver Cypress.JPG
 Description:
Evolver playing nicely with one of my G2's (the other one is does not fit in my space, so it is brought in on special occasions)
 Filesize:  45.08 KB
 Viewed:  20752 Time(s)

SetupDZ-Evolver Cypress.JPG

dorremifasol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Out of topic but... may I ask what is so great about the evolver? Does it complement the G2 well? I may get the chance of buying buy one for 320€...
dasz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rob recommended it highly. That says a lot.

I would agree, the Evolver has a better filter (the 4pole one is amazing and rich, the 2pole one is weak - resonance is very weak), it's distortion is amazing (waay better than the saturater module) , the feedback loops (tuned, dl->filter input) are sweet since they pass through an analog filter which means the clipping is not as nasty as when you overload a feedback loop in a g2 ...

It has a lot more attitude than the G2's, even though I program a lot of attitude into my G2's... it's more raw, and in your face ... the balance between it and the G2 is very nice...

I've had it for 1 week and it's immediately made me want to put a set together, which I think I've actually started to do (finally, I hope!)
/Dasz
dasz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've passed the G2 through the Evolver and the results are great, the G2 sounds quite a bit richer now ...

You can modulate the Evolver with a G2 via CC's -- all of which makes for great integration ...

The Evolver reminds me a of a Waldorf Pulse a bit, lots of oscs, LFO's that go into the sonic range, great bass ... the desktop interface takes a little bit getting used to, but it is quick enough ... also, I've got a G2 patch for controlling the little blue box for more knobs (and lfo's, envelopes etc)...
/Dasz
kkissinger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz,

Sounds intriguing.

How 'bout uploading an example of these patches. Wink

(that is, some .mp3 examples)
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Dasz,

To get the best out of the Evolver purchase this http://www.psicraft.com/Purchase/forums.html

Absolutely fantastic editor and worth every penny.

Cheers

Andy
dasz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Andy,

I know about this one. I heard it was buggy, is it still a beta? how stable is it?

Can you build your own wavetables?
/Dasz
dasz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am sorry for inadvertently hijacking this topic ... we should take the evolver discussion to the DSI evolver sub-forum ...

How do you guys specifically tackle the learning curve of the G2? Give us your approach!
/Dasz
astroid power-up!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

my approach has been to try to use it to solve problems.

that generally works better than unraveling other people's patches-mainly because some of these people are so far ahead of me in patching that i can't really understand some of them-rob's "stepper" patches are a prime example. i have no idea what's going on in those.

past "problems" have included- making an autechre-ish fm monosynth sequencer, making automatic-style fx boxes, (those two things got me in contact with the sequencers, the oscs, the envelopes, mixers and switches), making a variable bit reducer (learned how to use the dac/adc)...

most recently, i sat down to make a subtractive synth. lol. seems like the first thing you'd try to do. another fun one was making a good sequencer that loops and reads a value from a cc, but only when you're moving the cc.

i have some big areas that i need to explore-namely the control sequencer. i'd like to be able to use the logic modules a little better, just figured out a couple of ways to use the flip/flop.

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Dasz,

Please look in dsi forum for reply

Cheers

Andy
sheridan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey there,

I had a similar approach to Dasz... I started by trying to replicate basic subtractive synths' architectures and then by adding extra oscillators and filters 'to taste'. As you may know, I then spent a while experimenting with sound design, then basic drums.

It was at this point that I took the plunge with Logic modules... it turns out that they aren't as complicated as I first thought... that was when I started experimenting with sequencer and MIDI modules too. After that, I took a look at other 'less common' modules - no particular order. As Dasz says, it is less overwhelming to look at individual groups/families of modules at a time.

To be honest, there are still quite a few modules that I haven't experimented with properly yet... String and FM Oscs and Vocoder among others. Embarassed Strangely (and regrettably), I didn't discover the wonders of the Comb Filter module for ages - it's one of my favourite modules now, so if you haven't tried it yet guys, give it a go!!! (It's kind of like a flange filter... but better!)

Anyway, I still have more to learn (as I'm sure most of us do), but as some of you mentioned, the learning is fun, so that's all good! And now I have reached the stage, where I'm using the G2 more and more for my music and not just experimenting/Nording all the time!

I created the drums for my new track from one G2 performance recorded to audio - I'm not sure yet, I may record the individual drums sounds to my sampler instead of audio loops in Cubase. Either way, I think they sound better than my old drum sources.

Most of the sounds in the track come from another G2 performance and the main tune actually came from one of my G2 sequences (posted somewhere on this site) which I always liked the sound of and just built on. I'll let you know when it's finished... but as a pessimistic and pedantic perfectionist, I'm sure it'll take me some time!! Very Happy

I forgot to mention one vitally important thing that I learnt along the way... saving DSP resources! If you use cheaper modules, you can use more modules!!! So if you're not using the extra parameters on an Osc B module for instance, change it for an Osc C or D module and save DSP The same goes for Filter, LFO and Envelope modules (and probably others) too. It's amazing how much you can save sometimes! And to save more polyphony/DSP, try to keep your patches under the 'magic' patch load figures: 25%, 33%, 50% (and 100%)

Have fun - keep patching! Very Happy

Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sheridan wrote:
Strangely (and regrettably), I didn't discover the wonders of the Comb Filter module for ages - it's one of my favourite modules now, so if you haven't tried it yet guys, give it a go!!! (It's kind of like a flange filter... but better!)

You're damn right there! What a great filter!

Cheers Sheridan Cool
dorremifasol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I never tried that module until now, and wow! it can make interesting chorus effects Very Happy It's not cheap though.

I have made a little patch... and a little tune. Yes, I know, it's embarrassing. Razz

Too bad that the forum can not accept .ogg files Sad

comb chorus.pch2
 Description:
comb chorus or whatever effect

Download
 Filename:  comb chorus.pch2
 Filesize:  1.66 KB
 Downloaded:  1421 Time(s)

g2 march.mp3
 Description:
g2 march

Download
 Filename:  g2 march.mp3
 Filesize:  653.29 KB
 Downloaded:  1391 Time(s)

kkissinger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Enjoyed listening to this. Thanks for the mp3 example. Smile
dorremifasol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you very much for listening and the feedback! Smile
Page 1 of 2 [31 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: