electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Another vintage megasynth! The Yamaha GX1
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Another vintage megasynth! The Yamaha GX1 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb00/articles/yamahagx1.htm

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Quote:

In 1994, just two months after receiving my GX1, I met Keith Emerson. Inevitably, the discussion turned to the big synth, and this is what he told me: "The Polymoog design was partly the result of the very good relationship I had had with Bob Moog. Unfortunately, the production version came out at the time that Bob was becoming interested in digital synthesis and was considering leaving the company... and I felt that, if I couldn't deal with him, it was hardly worth continuing with the company.

"It was around this time that I heard of the GX1. It was the first true polyphonic, but even today it's a glorious synthesizer! There's still only one instrument that makes that sound. My first GX1 was a turning point for ELP. It looked great, and I always felt a certain confidence standing behind it. But it took eight roadies to move it, and it was such a burden on tour."

In 1995 Keith sold many of his synthesizers before emigrating to the USA (see SOS May '95). The sale included not one, but two GX1s. Chris Newman refurbished the equipment prior to this, and told me, "God only knows the condition the GXs are in, but we know that they don't work. The white one is flight-cased, but it's been shipped all over the world, and there's lots of work to be done there. Apparently, a gardener drove a tractor straight through the wall of Keith's home studio, running over it."

I wonder where Keith's GX1s eventually found their new homes? And what would they be worth in 2000AD? If anybody in SOS-land knows, I'd love to hear from you. Anyway, let's offer the last word to Keith: "Showmanship is a very important part of music -- even to the point of sitting at a grand piano and being twirled round in mid-air. Wrestling with an old synth has far more impact than simply pressing a button to select the next patch. Seeing someone leaping around is a show, and being theatrical makes playing much more enjoyable. Modern keyboards are not as impressive, and they don't involve the audience as much."

But do read he article too. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Keith Emerson wrote:
Showmanship is a very important part of music

I never liked his music; always seemed like pure exploitive show business. I know he was quite popular and some people I respect quite a bit are fans of his.

Keith Emerson wrote:
Seeing someone leaping around is a show, and being theatrical makes playing much more enjoyable. Modern keyboards are not as impressive, and they don't involve the audience as much.

Hey, Keith. Good musicians don't have to leap around the stage. Intelligent audiences aren't involved with the instruments; it's the artists that moves people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I want a show where you have 4 people, all in Sprockets-like outfits, all standing at single synthesizers side by side, nobody smiling, and the audience stands perfectly erect facing the stage while the group performs, nobody moving a muscle or showing the slightest sign of emotion, and at the end of the show, the performers do and about face and leave the stage and the audience does and about face and leaves the venue without a sound.

That would be heaven.

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hehehe

i have had shows where you would swear that happened... it may have been the heavy sedation tho, i am not sure....

Cyxeris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hope that is how my audiences will "react."

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kraftwerk
Cyxeris wrote:
I want a show where you have 4 people, all in Sprockets-like outfits, all standing at single synthesizers side by side, nobody smiling, and the audience stands perfectly erect facing the stage while the group performs, nobody moving a muscle or showing the slightest sign of emotion, and at the end of the show, the performers do and about face and leave the stage and the audience does and about face and leaves the venue without a sound.

That would be heaven.

Kraftwerk is now performing on stage live with four laptops only.

Michael Sterns had a performance similar to what you describe. See: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-469.html

Michael Sterns at The Gathering
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YES! THAT is what I am talking about, right there! Man, if only... Wink

-Napoleon Dynamite
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You could always go for one of these...

-Napoleon Dynamite
themoors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you need a cape to play one of those things
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And a crane with a basket on it too. A deformed face doesnt hurt either, so most of us here, especially myself, should be qualified. Twisted Evil

-Napoleon Dynamite
Otso

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This thread is somewhat old but as a fan of Emerson, Kraftwerk and the GX1 I'll chime in anyway, and the SOS article is utterly fascinating (and funny, too!)

Re: What happened to Keith Emerson's two GX-1s?

My guess that one has found its way to Arturia's laboratory while the other is examined by Native Instruments' engineering team...

Re: Keith Emerson, showmanship and performances

In my opinion, ELP was great because their best stuff is still absolutely, amazingly brilliant as music. The showmanship was an added bonus (and probably one of the reasons why they were once so popular, and one of the reasons why critics hated them). Unfortunately I have never seen them live, only videos, but I have seen an Italian tribute band play a smoking set of ELP tunes without any organ-wrestling and I think it was one of the best gigs I have ever witnessed! The material was excellent, as was the playing. Had there been some theatrics added, it would have made for an extra, let's say 10% to the total effect. So maybe an ELP was 50% great music, 40% great playing and 10% great showmanship.

Re: The current Kraftwerk tour with laptops

Kraftwerk started their tour from Helsinki last month and as a big Kraftwerk fan I was there, too. Compared to my previous comment about ELP, I would say a Kraftwerk gig is 50% great music, 0% great playing and 50% great showmanship. Three of the guys look like they're playing Solitaire with their laptops while Hutter is the only one who actually plays a keyboard and sings. Pure theatrics - that's what Kraftwerk always was about. I loved the gig because I love their music. The show they put on is appropriate for what they're doing. Florian Schneider attacking his Sony laptop with knives would be totally inappropriate!

New album "Frozen Paint On Boiling Canvas" out now!
7/4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Otso wrote:

Re: Keith Emerson, showmanship and performances

In my opinion, ELP was great because their best stuff is still absolutely, amazingly brilliant as music. The showmanship was an added bonus (and probably one of the reasons why they were once so popular, and one of the reasons why critics hated them). Unfortunately I have never seen them live, only videos, but I have seen an Italian tribute band play a smoking set of ELP tunes without any organ-wrestling and I think it was one of the best gigs I have ever witnessed! The material was excellent, as was the playing. Had there been some theatrics added, it would have made for an extra, let's say 10% to the total effect. So maybe an ELP was 50% great music, 40% great playing and 10% great showmanship.

Hmm...really don't care about the show, the GX-1 still sounds amazing and it's still real strange ELP and Emerson in particular never evolved past 1978.

Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: