electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Thomas Henry/sMs Elec. full UD-1 Kits Available in 2ndQ 2007
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Thomas Henry/sMs Elec. full UD-1 Kits Available in 2ndQ 2007 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just wanted people on our DIY forum to know:

From Scott Stites UD-1 page is written:

sMs Electronics will be the official distributor of UD-1 kits, and will be available for sale at E l e c t r o -M u s i c and modularsynth.net in a few short weeks (date of this notice is 02 January, 2007).

Right now I am doing all the preliminary work gathering parts, laying out PCB, writing documentation, etc ... and breadboarding one to even add a few extra features of which will be announced!

Here is the link o the UD-1 page:

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/birthofasynth/id23.html

The kit pricing will be announced but the kit will include:

I guarantee this kit will be of the highest quality!

Double Sided / Solder Masked / Silk Screened Printed Circuit Card
All Semiconductors, Passives, Sockets, Connectors, 1/4" Panel Mount Jacks, Potentiometers, Full Documentation including schematic, board layout, panel wiring diagram

More soon ! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Bill
synthmonger

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yay more kits! ;D
questionable

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh man. you're killing my wallet!
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's always pained me that I really have never posted any decent samples of the UD-1 being run through its paces - I'm just not really set up to do a lot of percussive stuff. I currently have no MIDI in place on my computer, so really the only thing I have to drive it with is the Klee prototype or the keyboard trigger itself.

One thing that hasn't been stressed a lot about the SN-Voice is that it too is capable of producing some great percussive sounds, especially when patched in with the rest of the modular. Now, I didn't make this recording using the SN-Voice, but rather the DSC2000 (my SN-Voice breadboard had been torn down by the time I made this recording). Still, I have the DSC2000 in a configuration the SN-Voice is quite capable of.

This recording was made on the Thanksgiving break last November, one of three I never 'released' through sheer inertia and laziness. It's recorded in the standard 'Klee demo mode' - IE, one take from one pattern of the Klee controlling all the shots. It uses the 2040 filter, the 291 filter, and the DSC2000 patched through the Wave Multipliers grinder section then through the Late MS-20 filter and a VCA. The DSC2000 is alternately switched between an angry extended SN764777 noise note phrasing and a short percussive jab by switching the 'range' switch of the Ray Wilson EG controlling it.

The sick bird sound is the resonance of the MS-20 filter cranked up to self-oscillation when the mood struck me.

The UD-1 is supplying the low drum sound, the timing and pitch of which is controlled by the Klee.

My last posted composition in the Klee thread mentioned the bass line as sounding like a sort of heroin induced thing. If that's the case, I'd say the 'band' in this song was both angry and stoned on qualude, if that's simultaneously possible.

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/klee_291_dsc2.mp3

It's 4.2 MB.

Cheers,
Scott
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's another one, recorded the same day, with prominent UD-1. It's got more of the square blended in this sample.

One take, Klee controlled, same general patch, etc. Difference is, the only angry person in the band seems to be the one controlling the freq knob on the DSC2000.

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/klee_291_dsc.mp3

3.8 MB.

Cheers,
Scott
synthmonger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That last one is just great. I really dig it!
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is the third one recorded on that day - UD-1 is pulled back, but provides some bottom. Same patch, one take. Still angry, as evidenced by the psychotic 291 filter.

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/klee_291_dsc3.mp3

3.03 MB

OK, I'm done now Very Happy

Cheerios,
Scott
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks SM. There's something about the sound of an SN76477 that really cuts, never have figured it out, it is just a pulse wave after all...

Cheers,
Scott
synthmonger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heck yeah! I absolutely love the sound of the SN76477. Especially the SN-Voice version. It certainly beats every other schematic I've seen and/or built with it.
23isgood

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great tunes Scott. I really like the sound of the UD-1.
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Thomas Henry/sMs Elec. full UD-1 Kits Available in 2ndQ 2007 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
sMs Electronics will be the official distributor of UD-1 kits, and will be available for sale at E l e c t r o -M u s i c and modularsynth.net in a few short weeks (date of this notice is 02 January, 2007).

Bill

bill (and scott)

this is great news, many thanks for putting this together. any chance that you'll offer an option to buy PCB only? it know the UD1 has a couple of hard-to-source components, so most folks will appreciate the full kit, but would great to have the option.

again, thanks! is this a great time to be into modular diy, aint it?

bbob
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
bill (and scott)

this is great news, many thanks for putting this together. any chance that you'll offer an option to buy PCB only? it know the UD1 has a couple of hard-to-source components, so most folks will appreciate the full kit, but would great to have the option.

bbob

While Scott is doing a fantastic job of getting musical samples out to all of us, great job Scott Very Happy, I want to make sure I provide what people ask for. In light of this, SURE, no problem. I will just make a bunch of extra boards Very Happy I will provide kits as well as bare boards then, as you request.

Quote:

I agree sir. This IS a great time. There seems to be a resurgence in interest going on. I have just joined a group of a few New Yorkers in the New York City area called the "Electronic Music Collective". A group of guys that do music and DIY projects. It's in the very early stages of development. More on that subject as the web site develops and the group gels a bit. Cool Very Happy

More later ...
vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

suweet!

Umm.... whatever happened with Magic Smoke releasing boards for Tom Henry's stuff? Too busy inhaling magic smoke? cyclops
The Alison Project

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great, I am definately interested in this. I am a student so the PCB is more likely the route I will go (as a I have a few 566's) but if funds are available at the time I am sure I will grab a kit to save the hassle on picking up anything else I may be missing.

Again Bill, a big thanks to the services you are providing.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Great, I am definately interested in this. I am a student so the PCB is more likely the route I will go (as a I have a few 566's) but if funds are available at the time I am sure I will grab a kit to save the hassle on picking up anything else I may be missing.

Again Bill, a big thanks to the services you are providing.

You very welcome and good luck with your studies! Yes, the kit will be less hassle as everything will be in one place with one single order. I will price it very competitively as I want to be fair. I am not a "wallet killer" ... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks,
Bill
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: