electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Elektor Oscillographics
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 3 [61 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bugbrand wrote:

Oh damn the images are amazing.
& you can hear the sounds too - all sorts of harmonics.
Plus modulation.
I'm sure there's a lot of tweaks possible to mess with it.

Cool

I'm sorry for the extra parts- I must not have scanned that bit (It's just an on-board PSU, but you can always omit part of it. I think Oscillographics needs a +5v rail?), but anyway Tom, this is great! Thanks very, very much for posting this Very Happy
bugbrand

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've put +/-5v regulators in now (kludge) and taken out all those extra bits and its working good! (still not used the Z though).

Nice to feed the X channel output into the Y mod input and vice versa for feedback goodness oh yes.

I could watch these all day but really have a lot of other work to do...

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bugbrand wrote:
II could watch these all day but really have a lot of other work to do...

Is easy, just take a beamer and project onto the work to do ... sorry Laughing

Nice video you posted !

Photon

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found this recently and thought it made sense to add it here. Another oscilliscope graphic generator project:

http://www.crowncity.net/ratcave/Electro/ScopeArt/ScopeArt.html
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Photon wrote:
I found this recently and thought it made sense to add it here. Another oscilliscope graphic generator project:

Laughing yes you AND all the rest!! Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing

You have just posted that project that has already been posted here many times already- even in this thread I think?- err yes- just a few posts back! Laughing

Elektor Oscillographics has never been posted, and Elektor gave electro-music.com exclusive rights to post the schematics here.

So there!

Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
doctorvague

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great video!!
Thanks for the project. You're right that is a nice PCB layout.
I've got a cheap digital scope which is cool to save waveforms and stuff but seems like an analog scope is the right tool for the job with this, yes-no?

Phil
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

both should work fine Very Happy
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
Photon

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked Sad Shocked
sorry! I thought I was being helpful. Its been a while since I had read this post...I guess I should have looked closer.
oh well. Laughing
p.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no problem Laughing We're only human after all- as the old cliche goes Very Happy

Anyway, you are excused for having Linus as your avatar Cool (it is Linus isn't it? I used to love Charlie Brown, until the Simpsons came along anyway Very Happy )

Photon

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yup, good ol' Linus Very Happy

hermit.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  31.97 KB
 Viewed:  43246 Time(s)

hermit.gif

salamanderanagram

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

none of the links in this thread work!!
i would appreciate it if someone could repost them...
thanks!
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Reposted as requested.

osc_pcb_991.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.99 KB
 Viewed:  446 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

osc_pcb_991.png

osc_parts_list_147.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.67 KB
 Viewed:  454 Time(s)

osc_parts_list_147.png

osc_article_c_486.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  226.69 KB
 Viewed:  637 Time(s)

osc_article_c_486.png

osc_article_b_192.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.82 KB
 Viewed:  638 Time(s)

osc_article_b_192.png

osc_article_a_155.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  218.97 KB
 Viewed:  487 Time(s)

osc_article_a_155.png

TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and the last bit reposted.

I can add that the design works well, and that I subsituted a 79L05 for the 741-plus-transistor negative regulator. I think Elektor only used this because 79L05's weren't made then, or were at least very rare.

oscillo_pcb_layout_285.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  127.22 KB
 Viewed:  377 Time(s)

oscillo_pcb_layout_285.png

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
and the last bit reposted.

I can add that the design works well, and that I subsituted a 79L05 for the 741-plus-transistor negative regulator. I think Elektor only used this because 79L05's weren't made then, or were at least very rare.

Thanks for the repost. I am wondering, is there a commercial PCB for this neat little gadget ???? I know it's been around a while.

Pardon me for not just doing some searching on my own as I thought maybe you would know right off and ave a bit of time.

Thanks,
Bill
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:

Thanks for the repost. I am wondering, is there a commercial PCB for this neat little gadget ???? I know it's been around a while.

Pardon me for not just doing some searching on my own as I thought maybe you would know right off and ave a bit of time.

I've never seen one, I just built mine on perfboard. I could tidy it up over the holiday, try some more modern op-amps, and post that, if it would help. I'm not posting the current perfboard layout - it was jack legged together straight from the diagram, in about an hour, and looks like it.... I bought Lochmaster a couple of months after I made it, after seeing some of Uncle K's layouts, so I could try that and get one worth boxing up.

By the way, if you are into 'scope graphics, here is a "must have":

http://www.dutchtronix.com/ScopeClock.htm.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Prof- thanks for the repost Very Happy

I completely overlooked the fact that this project got lost in that server crash too Sad

AND even more thanks for that 'must have' too!

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I've never seen one, I just built mine on perfboard. I could tidy it up over the holiday, try some more modern op-amps, and post that, if it would help. I'm not posting the current perfboard layout - it was jack legged together straight from the diagram, in about an hour, and looks like it.... I bought Lochmaster a couple of months after I made it, after seeing some of Uncle K's layouts, so I could try that and get one worth boxing up.

Thanks for this reply. I did not think there was any PCB but it's a fairly small circuit so perfboarding it will not be a problem.

Lochmaster? Not sure I know what that is Question

Quote:
By the way, if you are into 'scope graphics, here is a "must have":

Now, talk about snazzy vector graphics !!! I had designed a character generator about 20 years ago that did something similar but back then, my board had about 25 IC's !!! I really like this clock ! Some fancy coding going on in there also !

Thanks,
Bill
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bill, Lochmaster is the CAD stripboard software that Unkle K did the original Klee and Soundlab layouts in.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
I really like this clock !

yeah me too! Very Happy

bugbrand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just to drag this up from the void... As I finally got around to making up a test for another of these projects - the 'Scope Art / Oscilloscope Graphic Artist' from Practical Electronics Nov.1975

Here's a rough first demo play with drone-tones generated by the circuit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypn9JJXSl7w

There's certainly scope for further development on it - I need to try out different sync'ing options, add fine-tune controls and perhaps skew (as the oscs are very much like the 'standard' LFO circuits)

TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice work Tom!

I know I posted this elsewhere, but if you go to http://www.mitchwaite.com/ and follow the 'personal' link, his book 'Projects in sight, sound and sensation' is available for download.

IF you can afford a bunch of 8038's, there is a monster oscilloscope graphics machine deign there, and lots more, including a Kirlian Camera unit.

Mitchell Waite was founder of The Waite Group, and one of the great writers on computing. The story about Steve Jobs turning up in a VW camper van, to ask him to do the Apple ][ book is a classic. Also on the site.

bugbrand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok - great - thanks for the info & link.

Yes, I've looked through the Projects for Sight & Sound PDF before and actually have done some experiments with just a part of the circuitry - the phase shifters and ring-mods (using AD633).

I feel silly for not having realised the two projects were by the same guy.

Nice!

macumbista

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bugbrand wrote:
Here's a rough first demo play with drone-tones generated by the circuit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypn9JJXSl7w

Just stumbled across this on YouTube. Thanks for sharing!

The Holy Grail I'm looking for is some kind of analog vector converter that could be fed images or video signals. Something like the Rutt-Etra machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZQiHuTbnes

This could take years to pin down!!!!!

EDIT: maybe this gets close. Ruby script converts images into o-scope ready audio files:

http://www.bigbucketblog.com/2008/02/16/oscillofy/

bugbrand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heya Derek,

I've been occasionally looking around such areas - at the moment I've got the beginnings of a vid-synth system from LZX in the workshop (but it is going off on tour with someone very soon unfortunately...)

A very interesting area is vector re-scanning and that's the initial purpose of the system I've been helping to put together. I've had some fun testing, but unfortunately the documentary pics/vids I've attempted have all looked crap.

This is how it is meant to look (if filmed well)::
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmUSb1ptCNg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uA75dw9BJQ

[by the way - back over in Berlin early next month - hopefully we can hook up this time as I won't be going off to any spacey festivals!]

macumbista

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bugbrand wrote:
This is how it is meant to look (if filmed well)::
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmUSb1ptCNg

Yeah, that's the good hood shit I'm after. Those LZX look nice, but in no way cheap! What's the minimum modules you can use to generate that? Can audio oscillators take place of the video ones they have in their line?

bugbrand wrote:
by the way - back over in Berlin early next month - hopefully we can hook up this time as I won't be going off to any spacey festivals!

Yeah, except I'm in Denmark until the end of the year. Have fun in Das Kapital!

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 3 [61 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: