electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » g2ools utilities
g2ools-1.5 nm2g2 and dx2g2 converters
Page 3 of 14 [326 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 12, 13, 14 Next
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

W.T. wrote:
first of all big thanks to the creator of this more than nice tool.
unfortunately i can not get it to work on a XP px or neither on a macbook osx. I'll be waiting for the 'sucker save'version Very Happy

What kind if error are you seeing on Windows?
W.T.

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

finally i did it Very Happy it works.
j

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have windows xp(sp2) and can not figure out how to use this.
Do i need python installed for it to work? Could you please tell me exactly how to install the converter and use it? I do not know anything about python or programming.
Do the files have to be placed into the windows folder or something?
I double clicked the exe file and a black box(command line?) temporarily pops up and disapears , but nothing else seems to happen.
Thanks for your hard work. I am very excited to try it out, but have no idea how to get it to work.
cappy2112

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

j wrote:
I have windows xp(sp2) and can not figure out how to use this.
Do i need python installed for it to work? Could you please tell me exactly how to install the converter and use it? I do not know anything about python or programming.
Do the files have to be placed into the windows folder or something?
I double clicked the exe file and a black box(command line?) temporarily pops up and disapears , but nothing else seems to happen.

Joerg?

Currently, you need to open a cmd prompt (aka DOS BOX) in the directory where the project is installed.
You don't need python installed nor have to know about any programming issues to use it.

The patches you want to convert need to be in the directory where you installed the converter.

In the cmd prompt window, type nm2g2 patchname.pch2
Substitute patchname.pch2 with the name of the patch you want to convert, or if you have a directory full of patches type,

nm2g2 *.pch2

A GUI version is in the works to simplify this, so you will be able to double click on a icon. This will be coming in the future.
j

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi. I am not joerg , but thank you very much for the reply! I will try it again tomorrow.
j

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got it to work. I installed CmdHere PowerToy from microsoft to allow me to right click a folder and open a cmd prompt in that directory.
I put the patch in the g2ools folder(containing all the install files) and typed in:
nm2g2 (patch name here, not including parenthesis and with the .pch file extension)
then i press enter and it works.
The only way i could convert multiple files was to put the files in the g2ools folder(as before)and open a cmd prompt in the g2ools directory and type:
nm2g2 *.pch (instead of nm2g2 *.pch2 , as you suggested).Then i press enter and it works.
The thing is , it also converts all the test patches in the g2ools folder(so every time i convert multiple files,it will also convert the test patches every time).
I tried putting the files in a folder in the g2ools folder and open cmd prompt for that folder & convert the same way , but it does not work.I do not know if this is how i should be doing it , but i got it to work , so that's cool.
I hope this helps someone else figure out how to use it if they are having problems.It was tricky for me because i don't have much experience with dos or command prompt usage.
Now for the fun ....i will compare the patches! Thanks!
cappy2112

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

j wrote:
I got it to work. I installed CmdHere PowerToy from microsoft to allow me to right click a folder and open a cmd prompt in that directory.
The only way i could convert multiple files was to put the files in the g2ools folder(as before)and open a cmd prompt in the g2ools directory and type:
nm2g2 *.pch (instead of nm2g2 *.pch2 , as you suggested).Then i press enter and it works.

Sorry for my typo.
nm2g2 *.pch2 SHOULD BE nm2g2 *.pch
You did the correct thing- and you figured it out for yourself. You're a cmd line expert now.

I hear ya on the Cmd Prompt Here. I can't live without it.
It makes you wonder why Microsoft never gets around to implementing something so useful and common-place into the OS, instead of all the bloat & bugs we end up with. If I'm not mistaken, versions of Cmd Prompt Here powertoys have been around since W98 (or possibly 95), and it's still not part of the core OS.
jjpleeza

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is anyone using this in OSX 10.4x??
I have no idea how to use it!!
I've downloaded python etc.

Can someone please explain in laymans terms how to operate/run this in OSX?
I'm new to the modular, and quickly upgraded from NM1 to a G2, but miss the old vocoder patches.. Any help will be much appreciated!
Wapskallion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi - I'm using OSX 10.4 and can't get G2ools to work - there are many tips for XP users - but for people like myself, who can only think of 'please work' to type into the command prompt... I am struggling here to say the least!

I've downloaded python, seen the G2ools command prompt, input the code, read the forum over and over, and going round in hopeless circles.

I am willing to make a donation to the site, as I fully appreciate the hard work that has gone into this project - but if anyone knows how to talk us 'mac heads ' through, we would fully appreciate it!
cappy2112

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wapskallion wrote:
Hi - I'm using OSX 10.4 and can't get G2ools to work - there are many tips for XP users - but for people like myself, who can only think of 'please work' to type into the command prompt... I am struggling here to say the least!

I've downloaded python, seen the G2ools command prompt, input the code, read the forum over and over, and going round in hopeless circles.

I am willing to make a donation to the site, as I fully appreciate the hard work that has gone into this project - but if anyone knows how to talk us 'mac heads ' through, we would fully appreciate it!

There are posts to help Mac users run g2ools, as others have posted your question.

Quote:
type ./nm2g2.py patchname.pch

What problems errors are you seeing?

You've mention you've downloaded python, but did you install it?

How are you trying to invoke g2ools?
Wapskallion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi Cappy - Apoligies for missing the mac posts - I did look, but clearly not well enough...

I've installed Python 2.5, and of course, G2ools.

'invoking g2ools' - I guess this is where the problem is...

Through looking at the tips on this site, I've figured that the NM1 patches I want to convert need to be in the same folder as g2ools (feel free to correct me here...)

I launch nm2mg.py

In the 'shell/command' - I type in ./nm2g2.py 'my patch name'.pch

and get - SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I've tried typing this amongst the code (in the first line), saving and then running - but I get an error message at line 24, relating to 'inconsistent indentation detected'.

The fact is, I don't know where to put my patches, or how to 'invoke G2ools' - I'm p****ing into the wind here!

I'm sure these are not problems, but more the users lack of knowledge, but i feel like I am missing something obvious - I hope too many people aren't laughing at me falling at the first hurdle (I've just been reading different books!)
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wapskallion wrote:
but I get an error message at line 24, relating to 'inconsistent indentation detected'.

You shouldn't get that for sure ....

For Python the amount of white space on the left side of it's instructions (the indentation) is important, it is it's way for grouping the code into meaningful chunks.

I remember I had this problem with an older version of the code, did you use the version from the begining this thread ?

cappy2112

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wapskallion wrote:
hi Cappy - Apoligies for missing the mac posts - I did look, but clearly not well enough...

I've installed Python 2.5, and of course, G2ools.

'invoking g2ools' - I guess this is where the problem is...

Through looking at the tips on this site, I've figured that the NM1 patches I want to convert need to be in the same folder as g2ools (feel free to correct me here...)

I launch nm2mg.py

In the 'shell/command' - I type in ./nm2g2.py 'my patch name'.pch

and get - SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I've tried typing this amongst the code (in the first line), saving and then running - but I get an error message at line 24, relating to 'inconsistent indentation detected'.

The fact is, I don't know where to put my patches, or how to 'invoke G2ools' - I'm p****ing into the wind here!

I'm sure these are not problems, but more the users lack of knowledge, but i feel like I am missing something obvious - I hope too many people aren't laughing at me falling at the first hurdle (I've just been reading different books!)

First of all, when you installed g2ools, did you unzip the archive and retain the directory names? I don't know how to do this on the mac os or linuz, but it may be something like this

gunzip -d filename.zip

But you need to make sure by reading the man pages

man gunzip

look for a command line option to "keep the directory structure"

or also try gunzip --h

and a help screen should be displayed showing the switches you can pass to gunzip

If you see several subdirectories in the g2ools folder, then it's likely you unzipped (installed) the zip file correctly.

As far as patch names go
Try renaming your patches that contain spaces, so they don't contain spaces as in

mv cool synth patch.pch cool_synth_patch.pch

Then try converting one patch by typing
./nm2g2 cool_patch.pch

If you're getting an inconsistent indentation error- this is a very strange problem. It implies your python scripts were corrupted during download, which is highly unlikely. Python uses indentation to define code blocks, instead of curly braces as in C/C++.
cappy2112

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wapskallion wrote:
I

I missed this the first time.
Don't edit the code unless you know what you're doing with this language.

Restore it to the original state- by unzipping the file you edited, and overwriting the file you edited, so it is 'untouched'
cappy2112

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wapskallion wrote:

The fact is, I don't know where to put my patches, or how to 'invoke G2ools' -

Your patches must be in the same directory as the nm2g2.py (and other files).
Wapskallion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

'You shouldn't get that for sure ....'

I used this version...
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-15405.html

'Restore it to the original state- by unzipping...'
Each time I butchered the code, I deleted and re-installed

'First of all, when you installed g2ools, did you unzip the archive and retain the directory names?'

I guess so... I didn't change anything - I used WinZIP for Mac

'mv cool synth patch.pch cool_synth_patch.pch...'
I'll try this now... let you know

Cheers[/right]
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wapskallion wrote:
I used this version...
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-15405.html

Ok that's the right one. Strange, as if there is a system wide setting for the tab size ... but that's too much Mac detail for me.

cappy2112

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wapskallion wrote:
'
I guess so... I didn't change anything - I used WinZIP for Mac
Cheers[/right]

Well, Winzip- on Windows at least has an option to "Use Directory Names"
It may or may not be the default. You should use it- make sure it's enabled.

If you have subdirectories under the g2ools directory, then you should be ok, and most likely you would have gotten an import error, if you didn' tunzip the file with directories preserved.
Wapskallion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So far, I have typed into the command prompt...

./nm2g2.py waves.pch

My patch, waves, is in the same folder as G2ools

is this correct?
Wapskallion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WinZIP for Mac just extraxt the file... there were no options - It juts kinda' happened
cappy2112

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wapskallion wrote:
WinZIP for Mac just extraxt the file... there were no options - It juts kinda' happened

Again- do you have subdirectories under the g2ools folder or not?
cappy2112

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wapskallion wrote:
So far, I have typed into the command prompt...

./nm2g2.py waves.pch

My patch, waves, is in the same folder as G2ools

is this correct?

Yes- this looks correct.

And did it convert it?
What happened?
Wapskallion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, hitting enter says
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Running the script says - Error: Indentation identificatio detected!
cappy2112

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wapskallion wrote:
well, hitting enter says

try typing

./nm2g2

by itself

Also copy and paste the output of that into your next reply

Also try converting one of the patches included in the zip file. There should be several in the g2ools directory

./nm2g2 testseq.pch

Last edited by cappy2112 on Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
cappy2112

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wapskallion wrote:
well, hitting enter says

try typing this,

./nm2g2 -h

and see if you get this output

usage: nm2g2 <flags> <pch>
<flags>
-h --help Print this message
-d --debug Debug program
-l --low Lower resource usage
Page 3 of 14 [326 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 12, 13, 14 Next