electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Message for Wout Blommers
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
tonyggg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Message for Wout Blommers
Subject description: Check out my Cubase thread regarding the Nord
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Wout:
I havn't given up on my Nord problem. Thought you might want to check out the latest thread over at cubase.net
http://forum.cubase.net/phpbb2/post-516596.html#516596

tonyggg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Wout:
Further information regarding my earlier issues. The Nord problem as I described in our earlier long thread happens only in Performance mode.
That's right, if I just use Normal mode and switch between programs etc, Cubase records all performance data, controller data and program changes and plays back no problem. So what am I doing wrong in performance mode to cause all my headaches? I am making sure that the programs and slots that make up the performace patch are assigned the proper midi channel and slots not being use are set to "off". I don't know what else is left to do... Confused
Tony

Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Again, I checked with my NordLead2 and used only a single Midi Channel, no Global. If I use Channel 1 for more then one Slot, all reacts to Program Change and CC07, main volume. This works perfectly, specially when you never use Global Smile

Wout[/b]
tonyggg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
no Global

How did you do that? "Off" is not an option.
Are you in "Performance" mode?
I'm guessing you are in "Normal" mode and yes, everything works when working with the normal patches. If you are using Performance mode, can you please elaborate and give me specific settings. Much appreciated.
Tony

Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am in Performance mode.
Slot A to D all are set to Midi Channel 1
(They are also set to Midi Channel G16, so be it...)

In Cubase I use Track 1, set to Midi Channel 1.

This set-up records, overdubs and sends all data, so Midi CC32 and Midi CC07 are doing their jobs.

Wout
tonyggg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Wout,
So why doesn't it work for me Shocked
I have all the stuff like "control on" and "program on" in the control settings.
Go figure... Confused

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I reckon Wout might have forgotten to mention the part involving a goat, some white robes, an altar and a sharp knife. Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tonyggg wrote:
Go figure... Confused

The only things different are CuBase V1.10 and Version XX?
You are using a 2X and I just a 2...

You are sure you only use Channel 1 in CuBase?
And if you're using more Slots in Channel 1 in Program Mode (not Performance Mode), it works fine?

Wout
tonyggg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
And if you're using more Slots in Channel 1 in Program Mode (not Performance Mode), it works fine?

Yes.
The problem is only if I use Performance mode.

Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, Performance doesn't work when you set all active Slots to Channel 1 and leave the Midi Global to Channel 16?
And in CuBase all is set to Channel 1?

Clavia didn't change the Midi implementation, so the only thing I can imagine is the Midi CC32 can't find the locations in the memory of the NL2X. But then again it won't be able to find these in Program mode either...

I still think it has something to do with how you are using CuBase.
Try to record all data in just one track, set to Midi Channel 1.

Wout
tonyggg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

Yes, I have tried that as well and still not working.
Last night I did another test using Normal mode. I started recording in Cubase and played three short melodies, switching between three consecutive programs for each melody, using slot one only. When played back on Cubase, all worked fine including CC32. I then created three Performance patches, using the same three programs and used slot one again. So everything was the same except the three programs were now stored in Performance memory.
With this setup, Cubase records all performance data and CC32 works but the programs won't changes because Cubase is not receiving the Global Channel.
The manual reads: "When in normal mode, program changes are sent and received on the midi channel assigned." "When in performance mode, program changes are sent and received on the global midi channel."
For Cubase to record both the midi channel and the global channel, it has to be set to "Any" or the global channel has to be the same as the midi channel. This is where I end with no control of CC32. Mad

Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tonyggg wrote:
Quote:
... With this setup, Cubase records all performance data and CC32 works but the programs won't changes because Cubase is not receiving the Global Channel.

In in my set-up (NordLead2) it works fine just all recorded on Channel 1, without the use of the Global... (What ever the Manual writes!)

Wout
tonyggg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout,
I have to start thinking outside of the midi channel assigns and look elsewhere for why this isn't working at my end. For some reason the midi CC data is not reaching the Nord as should. It could be the midi patchbay that I use filtering out the data, it could be something in Cubase, whatever. Again, this "problem" is only isolated to the Nord.
Question: How do you change between the four midi modes,
OMNI ON - POLY, OMNI ON - MONO, OMNI OFF - POLY and OMNI OFF - MONO
The manual does not explain how to change between these modes. Again, something I can do with any other keybaord in my studio...

Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tonyggg wrote:
Thanks Wout again for your help in the past. Your right about my frustration. It has more to do with my amazement that after 25yrs of midi, a manufacturer would come along and change the midi implementation. It's not just sequencing, but even in live performance, switching between performance patches cannot be triggered properly from an external source, (midi patchbay, sequencer, bank/program commands). Also as a performer, you have to scroll through all the programs to get to the one you want which takes up valuable time. But of course like most things, there are work arounds. The Nord is a great sounding machine and that's why I purchased it.
It would be nice if Clavia would make available an OS patch to correct this.
BTW, I have nothing against the Swedes, I drive two Volvos Smile
Yep, back to the old track Smile

All my synths (although they are all red) and my Akai MPC2000XL are sending Midi (notes, CC and PrCh) to both of my NordLead's (1&2)
Even using the Midi section of the G2X connected to the Lead1, 2 and 3 works perfect and no Midi Global at all...

Mostly I use the Rack(1) to play the bass/rhythm section, the Lead3 for the soft and bright changes and the Lead2 together with the G2X playing the rest. Lots of Arpeggiators and G2 sequencer modules, but I can make PrCh in Performances...

It makes a good live set-up.

Wout
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Jump to: