electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
my first Site with iWeb
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
and70it

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: my first Site with iWeb Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this site is made with apple iWeb

www.controfase.it

bye
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 158
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks nice, but there is a worrisome detail. Not only in your site, but this one is just the thing I needed to talk a bit about my latest anoyance in the computer world. So if you don't want to read the ramblings of a grumpy old man, just reread the first two words in this paragraph and then quit it. The rest is more about me really Smile

There seems to be a general tendency to blogize things, which means that the page gets a fixed width and sometimes even a fixed height and worse even a fixed font.

The problem with this is that zooming does not work. Not at all, or just partially, like you can zoom but loose overview. My problem is that I have to zoom to be able to read a lot of pages (including the one mentioned above). Having a nice large monitor it could be as easy as just hitting CTRL + and CTRL - a few times to get it right. But too bad, things get blogized, and are broken, in a sense.

Funny thing is that at the same time there are people working on giving us zoomable grapahics and user interfaces. Which reminds me, the very first time I ever saw a windowed user interface on a computer I was pretty disappointed that the contents of windows didn't get resized with resizing the window itself.

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 612

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The 1st page is good but others dont seem to display correctly in IE on XP

example.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.81 KB
 Viewed:  9030 Time(s)

example.png

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

There seems to be a general tendency to blogize things, which means that the page gets a fixed width and sometimes even a fixed height and worse even a fixed font.

Yes, I very much agree with this. I think you can add using images as "buttons" while ommiting a alt-tag to this as well.

Quote:

The problem with this is that zooming does not work. Not at all, or just partially, like you can zoom but loose overview. My problem is that I have to zoom to be able to read a lot of pages (including the one mentioned above). Having a nice large monitor it could be as easy as just hitting CTRL + and CTRL - a few times to get it right. But too bad, things get blogized, and are broken, in a sense.

Yeah, I zoom a lot too. Some of those news-sites are very bad in this regard. They'll reserve a lot of column space for ads (which I block). Thois means that by zoming in you'll end up with just a few words per line.

[/quote]Which reminds me, the very first time I ever saw a windowed user interface on a computer I was pretty disappointed that the contents of windows didn't get resized with resizing the window itself.[/quote]

You can get something very similar int he Audicle (the big ChucK editor. You can resize the window or -by holding a modifier while doing the same- you can re-scale the next.

The site, BTW, looks good to me (Firefox on Debian) except for the "altri" page. Below "peter" it says "shapeimage 2 link 0" there but in a too-large font which gets pushed aside by the myspace link below it. Strangely, zoming out twice improves the situation in that it puts the font at the right size. I can't imagine that text is right.

deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

agreed! html is not good for something that has to display a specific way. if you need a "brochure" that has fixed type and image relationships, use a pdf.

deknow
and70it

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
The 1st page is good but others dont seem to display correctly in IE on XP

with IE i see many errors (with safari work better),
the problem in the "kontakte" page is a strange text area that contain the 3 mail links.

another problem: iWeb work with the extension .html not with .htm

1 positive thing:
making a simple Site without learning html (with Dreamweaver each modification it's difficult)

I try to correct now the errors with Dreamweaver and to clean the html of Iweb.

Thanx
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and70it wrote:
(with safari work better),

Yes, that was to be expiected because Iweb is by Apple and so is Safari. MS did the same thing; make a HTML generator that only works well with their browser.

I think it's good to remember that MS and Apple have different interests then you. They want to sell more products and so want to dictate standards in order to exclude competition. You on the other hand want to comunicate and so stand to benefit more from being compattible and thus sticking to open and universal standards.

I recomend switching to a normal text editor with syntax highlighting, doing it manually and sticking to W3C standards.

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
and70it wrote:

Yes, that was to be expiected because Iweb is by Apple and so is Safari.

I built my web site with iWeb too but asaik it works with any browser.

Quote:
Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex - Frank Zappa
and70it

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: iWeb's html Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
Kassen wrote:
and70it wrote:

Yes, that was to be expiected because Iweb is by Apple and so is Safari.

I built my web site with iWeb too but asaik it works with any browser.

wonderful...
without to clean up the html? (f. eg.: for personal metatags)
what have you published? why iWeb publish on hd 2 documents: index.html (this document contain nothing)
1 folder with the site
I have published only the content of the folder. Is this an error?
Thanx
and70it

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject:  iWeb Site
Subject description: many errors deleted
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it's OK today?
some errors are deleted
Thanks to Seraph for the Explanations
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: iWeb Site
Subject description: many errors deleted

and70it wrote:
it's OK today?
some errors are deleted
Thanks to Seraph for the Explanations

Very Happy
much better now Wink

Quote:
Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex - Frank Zappa
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 125
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: my first Site with iWeb Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and70it wrote:

www.controfase.it

Enough has been said about iWeb and the site. I like the music. Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
and70it

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: my first Site with iWeb
Subject description: thanks

mosc wrote:
and70it wrote:

www.controfase.it

Enough has been said about iWeb and the site. I like the music. Very Happy

thanks Smile

Andrea
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The music is good! Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Travis Coats

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah iWeb has many limitations, I started using it to get my sound of the ground and onto the web and hated it after two months. Many people were having problems (mostly IE users, as said above), so I switched to Freeway4Pro, man I couldn't be happier and the ease of use is not that much worse than iWeb. It is worth learning the tools for what you get. I have DreamweaverCS3 also but i have yet to get the hang of it. It requires a little more than I am willing to give, being happy with what I have now and all.

http://www.allinnia.com
This is my current site made by freeway. The main problem with freeway, although Softpress would say otherwise, is the code. It hardly ever passes validation. I never hear of any viewing problems though so what the hell...
If you turn off viewing CSS in Firefox you can see the problems more clearly.

Although a lot of site experts would say to learn HTML and code it by hand, I tend to spend more time on my music and would rather have a "tool" to do most of the work. Right now I am in the process of site optimization, and it is definately requiring a leap into unknown territory. Anyway, I liked the site and them music was good too. Hope something I said helped a little. Smile

Oh, forgot. iWeb also sucks when it comes to uploading your site, as the only options you have are to publish to a .mac account or folder, whereas in Freeway it keeps track of all your files and has it's own built in FTP so you don't have to worry about long load times when you upload your site, because it only uploads/deletes the files that have changed since your last loading. Here is a link if you wanna check it out:

http://www.softpress.com
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Jump to: