electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Artists » Seraph
Septimal Klezmer
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject: Septimal Klezmer Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this piece is my first attempt at writing a song using a "non octave" tuning and I think I succeeded in giving it a sense. I will never praise X.J. Scott enough for his LMSO. My heartfelt thanks thanks
The scale is called labeled by Jeff as "entrancing meditative nonoctave" Exclamation

arrow Listen to Septimal Klezmer

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer

Last edited by seraph on Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:33 am; edited 6 times in total
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Septimal Klezmer Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
I think I succeeded in giving it a sense.

I took advantage of the "tonic shift" feature of LMSO 2.9.5 released few days ago. see the attached pictures.
"Tonic Shift" changes the Scale Pattern and the Anchor key simultaneously so that the Anchor note you see is different, but the resulting tuning made from the scale pattern stays the same, seeing different views of the same tuning.
See the one based on D2: if I play D2, F2 and D3 I get a just minor third interval (316 cents) and an octave (1200 cents). compare it with the other picture based on C3 [the same intervals (C3, E3, B3), on a regular keyboard, play a completely different chord]. Am I making myself clear Question

C3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.4 KB
 Viewed:  691 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

C3.jpg

D2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.42 KB
 Viewed:  682 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

D2.jpg

Quote:

Last edited by seraph on Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

my wife told me this music sounds to her like the harbinger of forthcoming catastrophe or like some evil force crawling toward us Shocked holy cow Exclamation

Quote:
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
my wife told me this music sounds to her like the harbinger of forthcoming catastrophe or like some evil force crawling toward us :shock: holy cow :!:

Mysteriuous, but it doesn't seem very harmfull to me. Friendly rather. Don't know if Wendy Carlos actually used a scale like this, but it reminds me a bit to beauty in the beast, I like it.

seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

Mysteriuous, but it doesn't seem very harmfull to me. Friendly rather. Don't know if Wendy Carlos actually used a scale like this, but it reminds me a bit to beauty in the beast, I like it.

the unknown (audio or not) may "sound" mysterious, dangerous and scary but not necessarily so Twisted Evil actually I am a nice guy Cool Beauty in the Beast is an absolute masterpiece and comparing my piece with it sounds to me as a great compliment. Very Happy

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is an interesting ride. Very Happy I gotta do some research.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Many sections can really go new places if the sounds are changed into something more fat and orchestral and some reverb is added.

Interesting stuff indeed.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Many sections can really go new places if the sounds are changed into something more fat and orchestral and some reverb is added.

my orchestration is very simple, I was more concentrated on the music than on the sound but the piece could benefit from a lusher one, I guess Very Happy .

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahh! Excellent comments! Grats! party!
And just for the record, I like this too. It actually even got me thinking about looking into this "nono" stuff Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
elektro80 wrote:

my orchestration is very simple, I was more concentrated on the music than on the sound but the piece could benefit from a lusher one, I guess Very Happy .

Sure, the music first! Anyways, there are some sections here which could have been explored further using rich timbres and stuff and .... Anyways, when I like stuff I kinda play along to it in my head and get ideas.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
there are some sections here which could have been explored further using rich timbres and stuff and ....

there are timbral considerations when working with "xenharmonic" music that are different than when writing 12tET music but, of course, explorations can be tried.
Quote:
And just for the record, I like this too.

thanks Exclamation

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
there are timbral considerations when working with "xenharmonic" music that are different than when writing 12tET music

Yes, that is very apparent and that is also exciting! Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
xjscott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Carlo, here it is late 2008. Septimal Klezmer just came up on my iTunes list and I was thinking "Wow, this is awesome, what is this?" and looked and realized it was your piece from a couple years ago. It's aged well.
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks Jeff
that one came out well (very well I would dare to say Wink )

Quote:
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...I'll take your word for that seraph! Wink

They are intriguing, and positively so, these strange tunings/tunes. I don't understand quite how it hangs together, so I just enjoy the different listening experience Very Happy

DJ
--
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
I don't understand quite how it hangs together

well...thanks for the positive feedback. I know, it sounds alien but that's what happens once you cross the border of xenharmonic territory Cool

Quote:
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Artists » Seraph
Jump to: