electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Anyone love video game music?
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Anyone love video game music? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is inspired by ComposerRyan's Movie Soundtrack post, but I have created a new thread as this is a different topic...

Although I have been a fan of video game music since 8-bit days, I have found that appropriate soundtrack to more modern games can be essential to the story and developing mood. (Final Fantasy VII sticks out in my mind as an example of this.) Regardless, video game music is diverse, as it started as purely electronic music and has since aquired a wide array of acoustical sounds such as orchestral instruments. Here's a list of personal favorites (in no particular order):

Final Fantasy Tactics (Masaharu Iwata & Hitoshi Sakimoto)
-Midi generated Orchestra music...invigorating during battles and soothing during plot development

Final Fantasy VII (Nobou Uematsu & Shirou Hamaguchi)
-A good mix of "classic" video game music with more modern orchestral intergration

Armored Core (???)
-dance/electronic based...very moody and suspensful at times

Tetris (???)
-I think every gamer on earth that has owned tetris has the melodies from it permenantly engraved in their brains (Russian brainwashing Question Shocked )

NES Mega Man series (Various Composers)
-Unconventional use of time meters + original NES 8-bit sounds = rocking out

Sonic the Hedgehog (Masato Nakamura)

Do any other Gamers (or former Gamers) out there have favorite game soundtracks?

(I would like to give due credit to all the composers of the games I've mentioned, but I don't have time to beat all of the games to find out who they are. Rolling Eyes Laughing
In some instances, all I can find are the artist's initials. Early Nintendo Entertainment System games are good examples of this. I have heard that in Nintendo's early days, they often forced game developers to use only their initials in game credits so that other video game manufacturers could not steal their designers. Shocked)

Also, here is a decent database of videogame music files and information: http://www.mirsoft.info/news.php?id_lang=0
play

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm a big fan of the snes metroid music. I haven't heard much nes music that I like but I love the other early systems like kaliko vision and commodore. It's really remarkable the kind of range the programmers acheived with such limited tools. Incidentally, you can still buy the commodore chips (under a different name). Building commodore synth workstations is on my list of projects to do.

check these out:
http://www.8bitpeoples.com/
http://minibosses.com/
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Metroid's music was good. The UI music in Top Gun on the NES was good too, given the technology.

As far as more serious game music is concerned, one cannot overlook the Ultima series.

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
themoors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

for some reason i can still remember the main theme to zelda, so that must have made an impression... dont play many games these days, but when i do i often find myself turning the music off....
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some of Zelda's music was brutally infectious, one of those "cant get it out of your head" types fo gamescores. Thank you so much for setting that off in my mind. My day is, hence, ruined. Wink

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cloudscapes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know what you mean by the Tetris music, really love that! I dug a lot of other gameboy music too, Zelda: Link's Awakening, Metroid II, others..
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm too old to have gotten much experience with computer games. But I do remember my kids playing Zelda and the music was really cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I remember getting violently angry when people would call the music I make "video game music."

-Napoleon Dynamite
play

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ha! same here. Before I really got into computers, I remember being accused of making circus music. Oh well.

One of my favorite descriptions ever of my early music though is "Bach on NES and malt liquor."

sort of releated, I guess.
jkn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes - though I'm not sure I could nail down the titles. I get nostalgiac whenever I hear a sound effect for a laser gun that sounds like squished static (pssshhh pssshhh Smile

It's weird - I can't remember songs on the 2600 for some reason. Was it more of just bits of songs in the intro's and things - and during game play more of just the effects of the game? Something very amazing about those though - the thump of Asteroids getting faster and faster. I think Adventure had music. Anyway...

I liked a lot of the titles on the Genesis. Toe Jam and Earl - ha - that was great. We picked up TJ&E 3 for the XBOX - and they completely retained that early 90's Genesis sound for the music - while still giving it a bit more bass. Sonic the Hedgehog had a couple of levels with really cool music - I liked the Oil zone (or named something similar to that). I was a big Phantasy Star fan as well - the music fit.

Just like in the movies thread though - I'm not overly hip on video game music separated from the game itself.

Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: