electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » fonik's place
PS3100 Resonator PCBs
Page 10 of 12 [293 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
bambam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi All

I did the LFO range switch mod last night and decided to go with the values in the CGS diagram Matthias posted earlier and i seem to be getting a good range of lfo speeds. 470nf gives a really great loooooong waveform which i love.
The only thing i found with that set up is that i have slow in the up position, ultra fast in the middle and then medium in the down position so switching between ultra slow and medium involves switching past ultra fast. I tried to wire the caps in a different way with the 4.7n cap connected to one of the outside terminals and the 47n to the centre terminal on the switch but then i only got one speed setting in any position which i guess has to do with the way the caps are strung together. Is there any way to get up as slow, centre as medium and down as fast?

I did want to ask by ramp waveform do you mean an inverse saw tooth mattias? in which the waveform ramps downwards and then sharply rises? I'm assuming so but a web search just confirmed for me that there are a few different ideas of what a ramp waveform is ;(

Also am i meant to have a sharp triangle waveform or something a bit closer to a sine wave for triangle? I'm only going by ear as i havent hooked a scope up and it sounds like a sine to me.

I'm not complaining about the LFO in fact i love the sine\tri but wanted to check if i maybe had something different then what i should.

Cheers
Brett
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bambam wrote:
Hi All
The only thing i found with that set up is that i have slow in the up position, ultra fast in the middle and then medium in the down position so switching between ultra slow and medium involves switching past ultra fast.

if you take a closer look at i.e. d0epfer lfo modules you will see exactly the same setup. that is because the capacitance gets added if you stack caps in parallel.

Quote:
Is there any way to get up as slow, centre as medium and down as fast?

you'd needed an on-on-on switch which is probably harder to find and more expensive for sure. with this switch you'd selected each cap for itself. there is a diagram at my site how to wire these single pole on-on-on switches: http://www.modular.fonik.de/Page35.html

Quote:
I did want to ask by ramp waveform do you mean an inverse saw tooth mattias?

yes.

Quote:
Also am i meant to have a sharp triangle waveform or something a bit closer to a sine wave for triangle? I'm only going by ear as i havent hooked a scope up and it sounds like a sine to me.

the the ear it is hard to distinct between triangle and sinus control voltage curves. i will hook up the scope tonight and let you know, how that triangle looks like.

bambam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks again to the man with the answers Wink
Will be interesting to see what you get on the scope but its most likely my ears think its a sine when its not.

Brett
bambam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Forgot to mention my wet dry definitely works differently then yours matthias in that it really drops the output alot when wet. I remember your recording where you were wiping from dry to wet and back to dry with little change....in fact the dry was lower but mines very much the opposite.

Did anyone play around with changing some resistor values? i saw posts mentioning R6/13 but then R11......did anyone do the mod and if so which resistor to what value?

cheers
Brett
etaoin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This talk about wet/dry is a bit confusing as it isn't strictly a wet/dry pot. Korg calls it "intensity". A true wet/dry pot would need a buffer opamp between the input and R13 and probably a dual pot to provide a clean mixer. However, I suspect the feedback path from output to input that currently exists is essential to its workings.
bambam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess the question should be has anyone adjusted the intensity resistors to change the behaviour so that the fully wet setting has a even level to dry and if so which one did you change to what value?

Thanks
Brett
fonik

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
Etaoin wrote:
By the way, is the "wet" output supposed to be lower gain than the "dry" output?
I need to have to mix output at about 90% and up to even hear the filtered signal.

oh, that's really funny: i just hooked up the PS3100 board and guess what? the dry output has lower gain than the wet! and therefor it's obvious why i didn't cared about it: i want the wet and not the dry output, hehe.
so i ended up with a 2.7k for R11 to lower the gain of the wet audio path!
don't ask me, what's going on here...
and here is a sample. i'm turning the mix pot from dry to wet to dry:
PS3100mix(520kb)

bambam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HI Matthias

Thats the post and recording i was referring too where your results were the reverse of mine.
Am i right in thinking i should increase R11 from the standard 10k to something higher to boost the output?

cheers
Brett
fonik

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bambam wrote:
HI Matthias

Thats the post and recording i was referring too where your results were the reverse of mine.
Am i right in thinking i should increase R11 from the standard 10k to something higher to boost the output?

cheers
Brett

yes. the gain of an inverting mixer stage is defined by the ratio of the input resistor by resistor on the feedbackpath:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
The amplification of this circuit is - R2/R1 (" - " indicates the opposite polarity of input and output)
Example 1: R1 = R2 = 47k -> A = - 1
Example 2: R1 = 10k, R2 = 100k -> A = - 10

bambam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Matthias

Just thought i'd post that replacing R11 with a 24k res has balanced my wet\dry mix out beautifully. Thanks for the info. I'll take a pic or two of my module to post tomorrow

cheers
Brett
bambam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Guys

Just a quick post of my 1st finished resonator. Be nice though the text is just white on black dymo tape right now!

cya
Brett

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/bamsyn/766976352[/img]
[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/bamsyn/766976392/[/img]
bambam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok I can't figure out how to insert images Sad stupid i know but can someone let me know how to do it Wink

Thanks
B
fonik

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bambam wrote:
Ok I can't figure out how to insert images Sad stupid i know but can someone let me know how to do it Wink

Thanks
B

actually you did it right, but that's just a path not a picture you inserted (the [img]-function looks for appropriate file-extensions like .jpg).

just rightclick (windows PC) on the desired picture in flickr and choose properties. a pop-up appears containing the physical path and filename. use that information for the [img]-function.

bambam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

second try....thanks matthias Wink

synthmonger

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

99% finished with my first one. Need to do the silk screening then I'll post some pics. I gotta say, it's one snazzy filter!

I think it would be put to good use with Renee's phase shift vclfo. Has anyone tried this?
bambam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I noticed last night to get the LFO out working i need to turn up the LFO Depth pot which of course then effects the resonators as well. Is there an easy way to wire the LFO out jack to always have the LFO output present without the LFO depth pot turned up?

Cheers
Brett
fonik

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bambam wrote:
I noticed last night to get the LFO out working i need to turn up the LFO Depth pot which of course then effects the resonators as well. Is there an easy way to wire the LFO out jack to always have the LFO output present without the LFO depth pot turned up?

Cheers
Brett

just connect pin 1 of U4 via an additional 1k resistor directly to the LFO out socket instead of using pad W7. let W7 still be normaled to CV1 in socket...

bambam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks again matthias, i was thinking along those lines Wink
Brett
revtor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bumping this up!

Anyone have an extra one of these that they'd sell? This module will FINISH my modular! (for this month anyway : )

thanks alot!
~Steve

revtor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got One!!!

Thanks again MP!

Luka

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

add me for the next run fonik
this would be great.
neandrewthal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Edit: oops, disregard.
oldmanfury

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This looks and sounds fantastic - I'm sorry I missed the first run. Would it be possible to get a copy of the board layout files, so I could get a couple of boards manufactured by futurelec? If not, then put me down for two boards on the next run.

-gerald
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd also be interested in one of these boards. Thanks.

By the way, to the person who posted above: what is the typical cost to having boards one off-ed by futurlec?
oldmanfury

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Futurlec (spelled it wrong in my last post) will do two double sided 3x4" boards for $30. They'll add silkscreens, solder masks, etc. for a little more. Really reasonable IMNSHO.
Page 10 of 12 [293 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » fonik's place
Jump to: