electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
is it really good to have the NM1 forum seperated?
Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: is it really good to have the NM1 forum seperated? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

is it really good to have the NM1 forum seperated?
I started to work on booth machines parralel again and tend to see them more as one nor modular system... Like a korg MS20 and a MS 50...

pretty much the same feel to it... the one with the keyboard gives me much more options while my Nm1 rack has the better sounding oscillator...

for me its a hazzle to look into 2 general discussions...
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the feedback. I set up the NM1 forum on a request from users. I think the general idea is that it is for NM1 specific topics. Have you tried this link?

http://electro-music.com/forum/search.php?search_id=lastposts&forum_list=clavia

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Or maybe there is an option to be notified when a new post is placed in either forums? Now there's only a possibility to be warned when you subscribed a certain thread.

Wout
3phase

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i dont know that link...cant that be a function on the page? so a recent threads link within the NM forums?
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Set up a set of tabs in safari using different list views. That will solve your problem.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
3phase

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no...that is not solving my problem because i don't like to deal with a forum page within multiple tabs.. i ve other forums on the tabs... i don't like to have 20 extra for the NM one...

the search link is not bad..problem that there is no back navigation...
the link should be with the personal navigation on the left upper corner like the view unread posts......
There should be a command that brings up the latest postings of the chosen main forum...

so with a well done structure of main and sub forums you would be able just to see new patches while you are in the lib..or just new NNm related posts...or everything nm on em.com when you are in the forum index...

i am not quite sure about the backjump possibility...
plain implemented you would go for example when you are in the nm forums and see all new entrys ..and go to a patch...
when you than press the latest entrys button again it would jump you in the latest patches overview instead of the latest nm entrys , where you just came from.
Not too bad...but ... a total backjump with out browser functions would be good aswell...

maybe a latest entrys (regarding to the point of forum tree you are in)
and a main forum jump button ?

so you would be always back where you came from with 2 or max 3 clicks...

So far i never used the upper left functions...they had nothing to offer for me yet...but with 2 functions like the ones i just described i probably would click there all the time...
3phase

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

actually the backjump is possibel with the directory links on top of the page... so we just would need the button for latest entrys regarding your actual location...

than it would be allways just 2 clicks to get an lattest entrys overview at any point in the forum structure you want it...
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
no...that is not solving my problem because i don't like to deal with a forum page within multiple tabs.. i ve other forums on the tabs... i don't like to have 20 extra for the NM one...

You keep one window with a corresponding set of tabs for electro-music.com. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
3phase

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you overestimate the atractivity of this forum
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
you overestimate the atractivity of this forum

I'm sure you are joking... Wink

Anyway, I want to be sure I understand what you are saying.

I think what you are saying is that if you are at some level in the forum hierarchy you want a link on that page to show you the latest topics at that level and all of the sub forums.

The link I posted earlier shows all for the Clavia Nord Modular forums' latest topics. But, what I think you want is a link to show all of the latest topics at different levels, like here: http://electro-music.com/forum/forum-44.html

You would like a page that looks like this: http://electro-music.com/forum/search.php?search_id=lastposts&forum_list=patches

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
3phase

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes...that would be handy
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Handy? You can add that link to your bookmarks. If it would be generally useful, I would add it to the forum pages.

I think a more general way to do this is to change the way the right hand nav links work completely. I'm speaking of these:
    View your posts
    View unread posts
Right now, all of these work for the entire forum hierarchy. I could change it (I think) that these will work differently if you are at a lower level hierarchy, like just the NM Patches, for example. Thus, if you were at the highest level, these links would work exactly as they do now, but as you move down, they become more selective.

Comments anyone?

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Comments anyone?

Yes would be handy Wink

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There seems to be a lot of white space in that upper-right corner anyway. Can these be made into buttons? Something more visible, and really usable in high-resolution screens? Is that overkill? Seems like there's enough room for the old & the new.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, we could make buttons, and yes there is a lot of unused space in the upper right. Unfortunately, the forum uses templates that are very convoluted and tricky to modify. That's not to say that it can't be done, but it would be a chore. Probably worth it if I get a good feeling for what that functionality would be. I don't see how having the old and new on the page would be that useful once you get the feel of how this would work.

While looking at this, the "view new posts in last week" is fairly useless. It might as well be "view most recent posts" because of the pagenator feature. That link is really a non-hierarchical forum presenter.

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

While looking at this, the "view new posts in last week" is fairly useless. It might as well be "view most recent posts" because of the pagenator feature. That link is really a non-hierarchical forum presenter.

I currently use that link for two purposes. One is to first log into the forum and get an overview of unread posts at the same time. After having used it once I then use the new-posts link repeatedly to go through all the unread stuff only.

The other is to quickly find recent posts that I did read but that seem interesting for some reason in another thread's context. On some days the same question comes in more than once, and it's convenient to just link to the previous one.

I'd be lost without thos links, but there is no need to have it in the top right corner - I have bookmarks for it. It might be a good idea to have a sort of a quick links page where these two and possibly others would be readily available in case the bookmarks are nit present (on someone elses computer or on a new one, od for new members).

The links in the top right corner could then be made (if possible of course) to be forum context sensitive, I think that would be a feature for people interested in sub-sections of the forum only - which might be most users. Bust as said above I'd personally feel lost wiithout the global ones.

Fir myself a dimple bookmark that gets me into the Clavia section is all that I need - that substructure is reasonably flat and easy to navigate.

3phase

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Handy? You can add that link to your bookmarks. If it would be generally useful, I would add it to the forum pages.

Bookmarks are no navigation The whole forum is stiff to browse and that results in low activity what results in a disappearing userbase.
The normodular related forums are little used in relation to the former mailinglist.. And this is not because there would be less to talk about the modular or sounddesign or that there are not enough new patches.
I think thats clearly a result of the low comfort the forumpages are offering...
So any improovement that gives back some of this comfort helps.
Its anyway somehow too late to turn this into the main nord modular forum...As it looks it blew away the Nm1 userbase but wasnt able to find many new fans within the buyers of the G2...
So in fact there is no nord modular user base anymore..
Some pages around the globe that have some resources where most are collected here...but this seems to be used rather referencial than that it starts any discussion... see the in the buildingblocks hidden research of Megerow...
Hidden and silent...too bad ..within a different structure that would have leaded to big discussion regarding fractal geometry in music and sounddesign. I talked about this before and asked for changes that include mailinglist structures within the BBphp crap... I warned about the tendency of this structure to prohibit free discussion...
And... it seems that time has prooven my claims...
So when a prosporus forum is from general interest any changes that make it less stiff and more comfortable are in general interest.

[/quote]
3phase

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I cant do that with bookmarks... I do too much with bookmarks..i would need an extra browser for the forum that just has my set of EM.com bookmarks... an in the internet caffee? while traveling your usual contact to the rest of the world...

A page that needs bookmarks to be navigated has bad design...
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase, good points about the navigation. I've already started reviewing the code to come up with a strategy to improve those links. Any further input would be appreciated.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion about the NM community dying off, and it could very well be as you say that the forum is the cause of this, but I don't see it that way. Right now the Nord Modular parts of the forum are about 1/3 of the total activity on this site as best I can tell by looking over the logs. On average, we get about 10000 visits to this forum per day. That implies 3000 visits a day to the NM forum. In the old days, the mailing list had 600 members peak, AFAIK. To look at it another way, the electro-music.com site is getting 1,600,000 page views per month on average lately.

There are many people who have said they bought a G2 because of what they read here on this site. The G2 is certainly not the right machine for everyone, and I hope we have helped some people realize it's not right for them also.

Quote:
see the in the buildingblocks hidden research of Megerow...
Hidden and silent...too bad ..

I agree, Megerov has done a great job with those Mandelbrot patches. I love them. The discussion has been small, but not silent. You are dead right that it would be great if there was more discussion. Please join in; I haven't seen anything from you on his thread. http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-13235.html

In any case, we have been over a lot of this before. I am not patronizing when I say I greatly respect your talent and appreciate tremendously your participation on this site. Your feedback is quite valuable and I personally regard it highly. As I said before, I'm going to put some effort in trying to make improvements so your experience here will be improved, and by extension the experience of everyone else.

cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

the NM community dying off, and it could very well be as you say that the forum is the cause of this, but I don't see it that way.

mosc wrote:

In the old days, the mailing list had 600 members peak, AFAIK.

Has anyone considered how much of the loss of activity can be attributed to people
1. Selling their NM and moving onto other gear
2. Keeping their NM and just not using it or being active in the NM community?

It's been 7+ years since the NM1 came out. There was a big following in those days because it was ground-breaking. But the novelty of it is gone for many people who are now interested in other things.

Look at Dave Peck for example. He contributed a lot to the old list and the G2 forum. He's got a real modular now, probably influenced by his NM1 & G2 activity. He pops in on the NM list & forums now and then, but not as much as before.
This is a normal progression for many people.
(although many of us still haven't progressed to a real modular) Smile
Johan Zwart

Audio files: 19
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
Or maybe there is an option to be notified when a new post is placed in either forums? Now there's only a possibility to be warned when you subscribed a certain thread.

Wout

I myself never look on the electro-music (or any other forumsite) for new post's, but always use the rss-feed.
I can keep all the interesting or valuable post's there as an linkdatabase and categorize them with flag's.
The rss-feed reader is integrated within the Opera browser, so it is more accessible than bookmarks.

3phase

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
....That implies 3000 visits a day to the NM forum. In the old days, the mailing list had 600 members peak, AFAIK.

That feeds my theory that structural things stop discussions from happening..what is exactly what i ve experianced in other phpBB based forums aswell...
Everything looks pretty silent even when it isnt... that is good for a libary but not for a discussion place.

Even better cross thread navigation helps is another question.
I suggest to try it... wouldnt hurt but maybe it makes thing a bit more flexibel..
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JZwart wrote:

I myself never look on the electro-music (or any other forumsite) for new post's, but always use the rss-feed.

Glad to hear you are using the RSS. I don't use it myself. Please let me know if there is ever a problem with it since I may never know otherwise.

Johan Zwart

Audio files: 19
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
JZwart wrote:

Glad to hear you are using the RSS. I don't use it myself. Please let me know if there is ever a problem with it since I may never know otherwise.

I never experienced any problems Howard.

Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: