electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
best filter module....?
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
prophei

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: best filter module....? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i am sure that this has been discussed on some level before, but i would like to get some opinions related to my particular search.

i have a number of filters, most of them really far out sounding and crazy. i would like to know what opinions you have about the best "non" dirty filter. which is thick and creamy? which would make great moog or oberheim basses? which have LP / HP/ BP options?

you get the idea....

i am currently on the eurorack format, but am looking to possibly add other formats to my system, so any format would be considered and is useful to me.

Thanks!!
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Probably impossible to answer your question. You probably would do well with a Moogerfooger since it actually is a Moog filter.

The synthesizers.com Q150 filter probably would do it for you as well since it is virtually a Moog knock-off.

This may be blasphemous, but for about the same money you could get a Nord Modular Micro. It has a 24 dB/Octave filter that sounds excellent to me. I have a Moog Modular and to me the Nord filters are fine. You can certainly make a bad ass bass with a micro.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
prophei

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Probably impossible to answer your question. You probably would do well with a Moogerfooger since it actually is a Moog filter.

The synthesizers.com Q150 filter probably would do it for you as well since it is virtually a Moog knock-off.

This may be blasphemous, but for about the same money you could get a Nord Modular Micro. It has a 24 dB/Octave filter that sounds excellent to me. I have a Moog Modular and to me the Nord filters are fine. You can certainly make a bad ass bass with a micro.

thanks for the reply.

i have a real minimoog here, so i can get to that filter... i just want something i can rack in my modular. the synth.com idea is not a bad one.

as far as the micro nord, i used to own one, and hated the lack of dsp in it. also, i am currently selling (or have sold) all of my digital gear in favor of analog. many good people argue about their personal preferences on that level, but for me, i prefer the analog sound all the way.

are you aware of any eurorack or frac modules that are similar to the the synth.com you mentioned?
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd think the Doepfer filters might do the job. Seems like they have a nice variety. You could use the A120 ladder LP and the A123 HP together to get BP and BR filters. There are others, I'm sure, but since I have a Moog, I don't keep up to date on the other formats too much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Per

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you want a fat organic sound, the Doepfer A-101 Vactrol Low Pass Gate is a good choise. Not for moogish sweeping resonance, but for a creamy and woody sound, they are great. I started with one, now I have three of them.
Per
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think Wiard makes the best filters on the planet Smile
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: best filter module....? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

prophei wrote:
i have a number of filters, most of them really far out sounding and crazy. i would like to know what opinions you have about the best "non" dirty filter. which is thick and creamy? which would make great moog or oberheim basses? which have LP / HP/ BP options?

you get the idea....

i am currently on the eurorack format, but am looking to possibly add other formats to my system, so any format would be considered and is useful to me.

Thanks!!

In Eurorack format the Doepfer A-120 is pretty good for a "non" dirty filter when the filter input is not overdriven with the input attenuation knob. And although I'm personally no great fan of Doepfer, the plugs give bad contacts too often and my fingers are too thick to reach for the knobs between the plugs, this A-120 filter is one of my all time favourites because of its pretty clean ladder filter sound. But it absolutely pays to add a suboctave sine or triangle signal before filtering, to compensate for the signal drop in the low when the resonance is cracked up. The A-120 has an internal option connector for voltage controlled resonance. This option is almost a must as the resonance CV can then also be used to amplify the input with an extra VCA module to beef bass sounds up automatically when the resonance is raised.

A good tip for a good bass sound is to use the pulse as the basic waveform and modulate the pulse width just slightly with an envelope signal with a fast attack and decay of e.g. 200 to 400 msec. Also add a triangle one octave below the pulse. This works quite well in combination with the A-120 filter.

/Rob

/Rob
davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a couple of the Synthesizers.com 24dB/octave filters in my modular and they are indeed very nice filters. But I also have an MOTM 440 lowpass filter and to my ears it is even better. It sounds massive on bass tones (check out the bass enhance switch) and much better than most filters when used at very high resonance settings, especially when swept to high cutoff frequencies. Of course, it costs more than the Dotcoms, and I think the Dotcoms are a better deal overall, but you were asking about the 'best' filter. Info is here: http://synthtech.com/motm440.html BTW, disregard the info on the web site about kit prices. They are no longer available in kit form, only fully assembled.
J3RK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mono-poly wrote:
I think Wiard makes the best filters on the planet Smile

I very much agree.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: