electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
  host / artist show at your time
today> Sorry, no program tonight. Covid strikes again... Chez Mosc
 Forum index » Online Music
about drgkstep
Page 1 of 2 [35 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
drgk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: about drgkstep
Subject description: dub dubstep jungle dnb soundsystem
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
free mp3 downloads for the masses

website - drgkstep.com
podcast - mp3.drgkstep.com

dub • dubstep • dnb • jungle • soundsystem

for wav files of drgkstep tracks for
dubplate and broadcast use contact
- info@drgkstep.com

Last edited by drgk on Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:09 pm; edited 10 times in total
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dorkstep tracks? Bad spelling? Shocked
Please tell us a bit more about what this is and why people should listen to it. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
drgk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not sure I spelled anything wrong. I suppose my biggest influences are Drum and Bass, Hip Hop and more recently dubstep. I really like artists like Amon Tobin or Aphex Twin who push the boundaries but I know I'll never be another Aphex Twin. Grew up listing to Kraftwerk and a lot of 1970's Brit pop from my mom. Give it a listen. I'm sure it's not perfect but it would never see the light of day if i don't just get it out.

-drgk
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool! That´s more like it! Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
drgk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No problem. Let me know what you think.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Dorkstep tracks? Bad spelling? Shocked

'drgks' is a name coined by Richard 'aphex twin' James- for his last Warp records epic.

(personally I preferred the piano tracks on that LP- not the d'n'b stuff). R. James is a clever chap, but I don't think he's as cutting edge or inventive as he used to be, but I still very enjoy his early Industrial techno and ambient stuff (why is the world obsessed with d'n'b? Confused )
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
(why is the world obsessed with d'n'b? Confused )

Is the world obsessed with dnb ?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr

Last edited by elektro80 on Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
drgk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually Aphex Twin's album is called Druqks not drgk. Not to be to much of a fanboy but Aphex Twin has more talent in his worst album than most of us have in our best track. While his earlier work is his best, I'll agree, I'd hardly say he should be put out to pasture. Rubber Johnny?

As far as the world being obsessed with DnB I don't know. I've been obsessed with it since about 1996 or so, when I was in high school. As far as I'm concerned while a certain percentage of all music is crap DnB seems to have a pretty good ratio. I know you're not going to start bashing on drum and bass when the music industry is still feeding us total shit. I'd say the appeal of DnB is that you can dance to it OR think about it. A characteristic that not all electronic music can claim.

Last edited by drgk on Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

(personally I preferred the piano tracks on that LP- not the d'n'b stuff). R. James is a clever chap, but I don't think he's as cutting edge or inventive as he used to be, but I still very enjoy his early Industrial techno and ambient stuff (why is the world obsessed with d'n'b? Confused )

I like some of the analord things. Stuff like "where's your girlfriend" and "crying in your face".

I was never into UK style dnb beyond th eoriginal jungle stuff but occasionally a pocket somewhere turns up that takes it somewhere interesting again. IMHO dnb has a unfortunate amount of "genre tracks", tracks that try to be in a certain style but don't add anything to it.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm pleased that my words still evoke reaction Very Happy

I don't think I'm necessarily talking drum n bass on a whole (drill n bass?), I think I'm just referring to electronic music that is fast and has all the holes filled in. I suppose Squarepusher, et al is musically stimulating- ahem it IS musically stimulating- it's just so many people copy that style to the point that it becomes boring. My favourite ever Aphex tracks must be Blue Calx (Selected ambient works Vol 2) and the last track from 'Surfing on Sinewaves'- which without going and finding that record, the name escapes me. But I also love all the early pounding R&S stuff- all depends on how angry I feel, or whether I feel like staring out of the window and watching clouds go by- one of my favourite pastimes Very Happy

Like usual, it's all a matter of personal opinion. Smile
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

drgk wrote:
Actually Aphex Twin's album is called Druqks not drgk.

What??? One letter out?!? That's near enough for me Cool
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
I'm pleased that my words still evoke reaction Very Happy

Sure, mail me for chit-chat any time.

drgk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry i wuz a dick

Last edited by drgk on Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
drgk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah one thing that has always bothered me about dnb shows is the lack of downtempo or even extended breaks from percussion. One thing I like about dubstep is it uses similar sound textures to drum and bass while being less frenetic. I rarely create any tracks that have a 180 BPM dnb drum loop running from start to finish. Lately I've been mostly making downtempo tracks with some drum and bass breaks thrown in as fills.
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

drgkstep...

cool tunes...

if you ever find anything from the 1996-1999 era by "Vinyl Syndicate", check it out if you have not already

amazing

___

not sure why some people here feel the need to come off the way they have to you

i have my theories...

i don;t post on the forum nearly as much as i used to

and one of the reasons is highligted in this thread...they way you have been 'welcomed'

i.e. mild harrasment and tossing around of oblique and not so subtle insults .. and a little of the old 'back in my day, d n b was real d n b ' kind of thing

each one of these posts is from an admin/moderator/forum fan..?!

i doubt if most actually listened to your tunes

why?

it's really not hard to figure out why, if you poke around here

but sounds like you have it figured out

best regards...

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dunno, Paul. But it does help that new members post something about what the music is like. Every style has its audience.

This is good:

drgk wrote:
I suppose my biggest influences are Drum and Bass, Hip Hop and more recently dubstep. I really like artists like Amon Tobin or Aphex Twin who push the boundaries but I know I'll never be another Aphex Twin. Grew up listing to Kraftwerk and a lot of 1970's Brit pop from my mom. Give it a listen. I'm sure it's not perfect but it would never see the light of day if i don't just get it out.

-drgk

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
drgk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah I guess I'd say I'm not really a newcomer to dnb or electronic music in general. However I've never really taken advantage of the online forum for feedback before so it's very nice to hear what people think. My brother, some friends of ours and myself have been making "dnb" for about 11 years now. I'd like to think the music we make is more of a response to what we've heard from the UK scene not so much a imitation of it, but perhaps I'm being too lofty. Music has been a hobby for much of the last decade but I'm spending more and more time producing lately and would like to get the shit pressed and distributed at some point. I don't have much interest in being a DJ I just want people to hear my music. The more people, the bigger the speakers, the better.
drgk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Keep that feedback coming!
drgk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also listen to a new remix of dub gravity.

Download Page

drgk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Torrent swarm is going good. Help support open source music.
Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

d'n'b leaves me cold unless i'm in the *appropriate* state of mind and a grimey free party in a warehouse, and then suddenly it makes a whole lot more sense. other than that i can happily leave it.
drgk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sad to say that most popular dnb today is of a select flavor that you have to be in the right mood for. But there is a whole spectrum of less popular dnb that breaks this mold. I'd be wrong to criticize trance or house music based on only the most popular and commercially successful tracks, Cher or Madonna or any one of a slew of top 40 hits.

In general in most of my tracks I try to avoid both the constant "all holes filled in" 200 BPM dnb breaks and cliché basslines and synth patches that have come to be ubiquitous to dnb. While I still incorporate dnb or jungle breaks most of my tracks are downtempo with the breakbeats thrown in to during builds or as fills.

I digress.

drgk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

24 hours until mp3 downloads will be up and running
drgk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

enjoy. let me know what you all think now that you don't have to jump through burning hoops to download.
drgk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

New forum for ya'll. never can have enough forums.

dubstep. dub & dnb forum for fans, producers, djs, artists, vjs

events, self promotion, downloads, links and more

GO TO FORUM

Page 1 of 2 [35 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Online Music
Jump to: