electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Rob Hordijk's G2 Tutorial
Page 1 of 3 [55 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject:  Rob Hordijk's G2 Tutorial Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rob Hordijk's G2 Tutorial is a great resource for learning about the G2. After you read the manual, this is a great resource. Wait. I have that wrong! Read this before the manual. If you are thinking about getting a G2, read this.

Rob is a master synthesist, and an excellent writer. Rob's contributions should be considered one of the G2's best features.

Last edited by mosc on Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bj2001

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah it's helpful, but soon it will be cool to have some patch examples with the text so we can tweak & hear what he explains us.
Sometimes I would like to have a more str8 forward,synthetic tutorial with what module do what & for what purpose.
Clavia's manual miss that point for each module a concrete/practical example/patch.
Cos when U start even with all those tutorial & website,I get confused so I stick to the preset & tweak 'em & I try to redo some G1 patch on my G2.
But I still enjoy the sound & interface of this great machine.
Plus the next OS update should bring us to the DX7 operator & other new stuff...GREAT.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The G2 is like any other power technical system. It takes time and patience. Nothing can beat a personal mentor or teacher. Rob's writings are really a great resource for the G2.

The Clavia manual is really a reference manual, and not all that complete. You are right about that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bj2001 wrote:
yeah it's helpful, but soon it will be cool to have some patch examples with the text so we can tweak & hear what he explains us.
Sometimes I would like to have a more str8 forward,synthetic tutorial with what module do what & for what purpose.
Clavia's manual miss that point for each module a concrete/practical example/patch.
Cos when U start even with all those tutorial & website,I get confused so I stick to the preset & tweak 'em & I try to redo some G1 patch on my G2.
But I still enjoy the sound & interface of this great machine.
Plus the next OS update should bring us to the DX7 operator & other new stuff...GREAT.

Well, there is undoubtedly a lot yet to come. But so little time...!
sawtooth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Thank you Rob! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!

I'm new here and I just want to express my gratitude and appreciation to Rob for your generous way of sharing all your hard-earned expertise.

As a long-time user of the original Modular and since about a month the fabulous G2 I have found your very instructive and well written articles and patch examples immensely useful.

Thank you!

PS. Extra kudos for the 'MedocGrandCru'78' patch! I'll definitely use a slightly tweaked version in a song for our next album. Wonderful sound...
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome to electro-music.com. Glad to have you here...
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome Mr. Sawtooth!

Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
W.T.

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep Rob is the Bomb. I did a 24 week course on the nm back in 2003.
wich took place in Utrecht.
I stil use the book about "sound synthese" a lot.
It stil gives a lot of inspiration.

greetings,
Jeroen
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome to you to, Jeroen. Except for Sweden, of course, The Netherlands seems to be Nord Modualar central. That put's the country on my list of favorites. Cool
zobomix

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This tutorial blew me away Shocked
Rob, you are the men Cool
now, back to the tutorial...
monokit

G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, it got updated! Very Happy
Awesome stuff...

Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

monokit wrote:
Wow, it got updated! Very Happy
Awesome stuff...

Cool! Major update indeed.

Baby seems to be asleep; guess I can do some reading Smile
lebenspuls

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great... nice present for less busy december... is there a pdf-file perhaps to print it??
Neon Sega

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rob, Thank you a lot for your tutorials. Nord Modulars are that great by your support.. no... leadership, kind a leadership

May be an offline format, study modulars anyware/everyware?
intoxicat

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Using the circular buffer principle on audio

I am waiting eagerly for this installment of the G2 tutorial? Smile Smile
ultra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so sawtooth, based on your band url, you're in covenant? i've been a fan for quite some time Smile.
arne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: http://www.sitesucker.us/ to read offline...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If youre on a mac You may use http://www.sitesucker.us/ to read offline.
a
Rob

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: http://www.sitesucker.us/ to read offline...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

arne wrote:
If youre on a mac You may use http://www.sitesucker.us/ to read offline.
a

And if you're on Windows you can simply save the whole workshop from Explorer in one go. Very Happy

But every now and then I might have added some stuff.

/Rob
arne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...and that is also the case with mac if you use explorer off course, sitesucker is for suckers like me who likes Safari better:)
Great job with the manual Rob!
Been enjoying youre Patches some years now, first with MM now G2. (still using the MM of course:)
Thank You!
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Spectacularly even Firefox can save the whole thing in one go as well. What will they think of next?

Then it turns out absolute link adresses were used which makes the result hard to use in practice.

arne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...some crazy mac BS there. It actually works to save the page but sometimes u get the graphics and sometimes you dont, I dont know what is up with Safari Smile
xav

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Thanks Mosc and Rob Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

electro-music.com and Rob's posts or tutorials help me very much. Thank you
kcinsu

G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bj2001 wrote:

I'm actually kind of glad there are no included patch examples. All the screen shots he includes, give you all you need to know to recreate it... and much like transcribing a score, I think it's quite a valuable process to copy the patch, instead of just loading it up. You have to think more about where things are connecting, and why.
Rob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kcinsu wrote:
bj2001 wrote:

I'm actually kind of glad there are no included patch examples. All the screen shots he includes, give you all you need to know to recreate it... and much like transcribing a score, I think it's quite a valuable process to copy the patch, instead of just loading it up. You have to think more about where things are connecting, and why.

There are two reasons why there are no actual patches but only screenshots. First of all it is to avoid the dogmatic idea of 'this is how it is done so just download and use it'. Instead the examples are ways how it might be done, but there are always more possibilities. Experimenting and figuring out how it works and finding other ways and variations to do things are the purpose. Which brings up the second reason; there is no easy way to learn things; building up a patch oneself is the way to get going.

These tutorials are not published for those that just want to download patches, it is written for those who want to increase their own patching skills and want to be more creative while patching. The tutorials basically show ways of thinking that can be used when building more complex patches, but they do not necessarily present final answers. In fact, myself I consider these tutorials more like an open discussion than 'tutorials'.

Have fun,
/Rob
kcinsu

G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I totally agree!

Thank you for this resource by the way!

Also, do you have a place to listen to your music? I've actually tried googling you, but I just get thousands of links to your tutorial!
Page 1 of 3 [55 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: