electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Windows as a music workstation
I can't take it anymore! Too many glitches!
Page 2 of 2 [44 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mark. Don't panic. I'm going to drive down to Tennessee. See you on Friday and I'll see if I can fix it. It's only 550 miles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mohoyoho wrote:
No, this is not demo ware. These are legit copies. I could play a wav file on media player or Sonar, and every 10 secs. I hear a click or tiny pop. It also happens when I record.

Howard, what's with the mismatch? How do I check for that or change it?

Have a look at the elaborate view in task manager that shows all processes. I bet there is some sort of periodic usage spike, likely CPU from a high-priority process. I bet that process will ave something to do with networks.

You might also want to look at how non-audio processes that need to work in realtime behave in order to rule out that it's the audio engine itself and not cpu usage.

Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Mosc. Looking forward to your visit.

Kassen, I have looked for spikes and can't see any.

www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
DES

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You might want to check your video acceleration settings and kick it back a notch... Also - you might want to try and update your video drivers. Video cards have been known to cause audio problems (steeling bus time).

What kind of sound card are you using? If it is a USB based card - make sure that power management is turned OFF on the USB ports. You do this by going to the control panel/system/hardware/ settings and left clicking on the USB HUB - look under power management and turn off the ability for the comptuer to turn the port off.

Can't really think of anything else that hasn't already been said without knowing the card type...

Dave
www.ambientstickist.com
Mohoyoho

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have an m-audio Delta 66. It's a pci board with a break out box. It used to work perfectly and then developed this problem out tof the clear blue.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
bbbodie

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: I can't take it anymore! Too many glitches!
Subject description: My PC just freezes up intermitently too much
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

opg wrote:
One idea I had was to simply upgrade to 1GB of memory, but this problem seems to weird to warrant that. Any ideas on where to start (besides throwing it out the window)?

Ok, here's the word from Redmond, WA (yes, I work in the bowels of the software giant...shhhh...it's a secret Wink...) run MSConfig at the Start>Run prompt.

First - Run a Checkpoint in System Restore
Second - go to the Startup Tab and turn off everything you don't need...if you're not sure, turn it off
Third - Reboot

Try FL...if you're not hitting hangs...you're good to go, if you are, then it's not service related, but disk related...in that case defrag the disk.

Write me directly via PM if you have questions, I'll be in office about 11am.

One note, you will be prompted on reboot that you made changes, do you want to change back? I usually click the "don't show this again" box as I am well aware that I made changes. Most of the time, folks have way too many TSR's, services and unnecessary little packages running in the background.

Bodie
Make Some Noize (MSN) Studios

Logic 9, Cubase 5, Finale 2009
Moog Voyager, Phatty, Liberation, Taurus, Mini
Nord Wave, Electro2, G2X
Roland AX
DSI Polyevolver, Prophet 08
Arp 2600s & Odys
Studio 100m
Virus
over 40 FX pedals
http://electro-music.com/gallery2/main.php/v/BodieMax/
Wishlist: Kyma X
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do a Ctrl+Alt+Del and see how many processes are running. I like to keep it down to about 20 max. Then click on the CPU heading to sort by cycles. System Idle Process should be top of the list, if it's not then take note of what is. That is your main culprit for a CPU hog.

On another line of attack, did you build the computer yourself? If so, what motherboard does it have, and have you installed the latest IDE drivers? (for a VIA board they are the VIA Hyperion 4in1 drivers, or something along those lines) Windows will run okay without installing the latest ones, but if you never installed them at all, (heaps of builders forget this) your IDE interface can get severely weird at some point down the track for no apparent reason.

Also, the other hard drive you put in, is it formatted as an NTFS drive or a FAT32. If it's FAT32 re-format it. XP really hates having one of each.

jksuperstar

G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FSAutoStart...your friend!

This is like bbbodie's comment, but it's a 3rd party utility that does this....but not so "permanently". This tool will shutdown all those TSRs, defrag your memory (not disk), *then* run your audio programs. At the end of everything, it can restart those TSRs if you so desire, or reboot your machine. This allows you to have a few things running (like a secure finger print sensor, laptop camera, wireless network, etc), but when you want to run audio, it cleans everything up. This allows me to use my laptop for business and pleasure, and have it mostly optimized for BOTH. I know, everyone recommends having a separate machine for audio only, but I simply won't pay for two laptops just for this luxury.

I use it to kill all my TSRs, kill windows explorer, then start ableton live, midiox, and Pd. Since it's a laptop, some of the other things I kill are screensaver, auto-updates, etc.
bbbodie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
FSAutoStart...your friend! Th is allows me to use my laptop for business and pleasure, and have it mostly optimized for BOTH. I know, everyone recommends having a separate machine for audio only, but I simply won't pay for two laptops just for this luxury.

That's what two hard drives are for.

for the price of one extra hard drive for your laptop, you pull out the music drive to do business on the business drive. Most folks haven't gotten savvy to this $200 bonus. I have my Inspiron laptop setup with Vista and all the goodies for work, and then when I'm done for the day, I pull the drive and plug in XPSP2 with all my music software for laptop music work.

I also have a dedicated system at home that was built just for music and has none of the extras, but if it's a laptop, then just buy the extra drive, spend the extra 4 to 6 hours configuring software, and now you have a worry free setup.

Of course your mileage may vary Wink

Bodie
Make Some Noize (MSN) Studios
Redmond, Washington

Logic 9, Cubase 5, Finale 2009
Moog Voyager, Phatty, Liberation, Taurus, Mini
Nord Wave, Electro2, G2X
Roland AX
DSI Polyevolver, Prophet 08
Arp 2600s & Odys
Studio 100m
Virus
over 40 FX pedals
http://electro-music.com/gallery2/main.php/v/BodieMax/
Wishlist: Kyma X
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
opg

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, I increased the SWAP file and put it on my second hard drive, and this didn't really seem to solve the problem. It was good at first, but only lasted about 5 minutes or so. However, I didn't increase the virtual memory size to 1.5x or 2x my 512MB of memory. I'll increase that, but I really agree with Mosc- if you finding yourself using it, it's better to upgrade to 1GB.

FIRST, though, I will check out that link [url]www.musicxp.net [/url], which had some great tips - some stuff I definitely hadn't thought of. There was one (almost embarrassing) option that I should of switched: I have it running for programs instead of background services.

I'll cross my fingers and make all the suggested changes tonight! Cool

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The 1.5X RAM for your virtual memory was the rule up to WIN98SE, but for XP on newer machines you should use 2GB minus your RAM. Don't forget you need to set this amount as both the Minimum and Maximum swap file sizes. The idea is that you're tying it down so Windows can't jump in and resize it, which it does way too often otherwise.

It's good to have it on a different hard drive, but even better if it's on a separate IDE channel. ie; don't have the two drives as the primary master and primary slave. Make one the primary master, and the other one the secondary master. Put CD/DVD drives as the slaves, cos they're used a lot less often.

I also recommend visiting tweakguides.com and getting a copy of the Tweak Guides Tweaking Companion by Koroush Ghazi.

http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

This guy has spent years researching how to get the most out of every version of windows, and has compiled it into a separate tweaking companion for each one. The newest XP one is a 1.9M pdf which covers everything, and I mean everything! I know the site seems very games orientated, but the info, which is about controlling exactly how your Windows install works, is just as important for professional audio users.
You can dip into the guide, try out some things, do the lot from start to end, look up something specific, whatever you like. It's very well written.

Good luck,
And keep us posted about your progress.

opg

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks to the tips on that website, my computer is acting a bit better! There are no long pauses when I load VST effects, and anytime there is a delay in opening a folder, it's usually because there's a hell of a lot of samples in it.

So, good deal. The only thing that scared me was this:

I can't keep RegEdit open. It's the freakiest thing. I'll open it up, and as soon as I click to expand CURRENT_USER, the program closes on me. What's up with that? scratch

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't know what would cause that.
Try some of the automated registry fixing, cleaning, compacting stuff he recommends, then try again. It could be a setting, it could be a corrupt part in your registry, it could be a virus (doubt it).

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

opg wrote:
I can't keep RegEdit open.

Sounds like you've got a bit of a problem with spyware / trojan stuff ... try to google for "regedit closing" to see if you can find anything that matches your situation.

chuckles

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: This could be the WindowsUpdate problem... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There has been a lot of traffic in various Windows sys admin
forums about a problem where systems essentially freeze
up for a few minutes periodically. In my case, our corporate
system forces each system to be checked for updates every
hour, when my system basically hangs for about 2 minutes.
You can tell if this is the case by checking the Windows Update.log
file.

What worked on my (low powered PC) was to split out
wuauserv into its own svchost process, then using
process explorer to lower its priority. I still
get a 2 minute wu check every hour but just lowering
the priority the wuauclt.exe and its svchost.exe to
Below Normal (6) allows my system to work with very
minimal slowdown...

If your system is no longer connected to the net then this
is probably not your problem. In any case within the last
few days Microsoft apparently has fixes for it.

There's a long thread about this at

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/12009443/m/786004271831/p/1

and you can check the blog kept by the Microsoft group that is responsible for the update service at

http://blogs.technet.com/wsus/archive/2007/05/15/srvhost-msi-issue-follow-up.aspx
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: This could be the WindowsUpdate problem... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

chuckles wrote:
In my case, our corporate
hour,

tok ... Shocked

may I ask what kind of a company it is that you work for ? Or would telling that be a security risk maybe Laughing

opg

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
opg wrote:
I can't keep RegEdit open.

Sounds like you've got a bit of a problem with spyware / trojan stuff ... try to google for "regedit closing" to see if you can find anything that matches your situation.

Yeah...this first result alone is worth a shot:

"I just had the same problem in W2K of regedit closing as soon as it was opened. The cause was a program called WINEXES.exe which I saw in task manager. I deleted the file from system32 and by starting in safe mode deleted references using regedit. I think it is some kind of trojan."

It's very possible that I got blasted with every evil thing that existed during the one time I was online filing taxes. Talk about a double whammy! Evil or Very Mad

chuckles

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: This could be the WindowsUpdate problem... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
chuckles wrote:
In my case, our corporate
hour,

tok ... Shocked

may I ask what kind of a company it is that you work for ? Or would telling that be a security risk maybe Laughing

Basically, a company with semi-incompetent IT people. It's basically a mega-conglomerate that has gobbled up smaller companies. All the creative and motivated people of course leave for more entrepreneurial companies or form their own companies or consultancies. So only the "disgruntled malcontents" like me remain...

All the knowledgeable people I've talked to say to check for updates on a daily basis is more than enough.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: This could be the WindowsUpdate problem... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

chuckles wrote:
with semi-incompetent IT people.

Having shares in telecom biz I guess Very Happy

Page 2 of 2 [44 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Windows as a music workstation
Jump to: