electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
DIY People, thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject:  DIY People, thanks Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm very busy with lots of stuff, new servers, electro-music 2007, etc., but I wanted to just say thanks to all of the people that have made this DIY section on electro-music.com so great. This includes the moderators and all the people posting.

Thanks to you, our web community has become one of the best sources of information one can find. New members are made to feel welcome and respected. A spirit of respect, excitement, and generosity abounds. In short, I'm very proud to have some small part to play in supporting this community.

I would be very interested in hearing any suggestions that would make electro-music.com better suited to fostering this community. If you have any ideas, please let us know.

Again, thanks

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank You! Very Happy
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wild Zebra wrote:
Thank You! Very Happy

Indeed Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Howard, you and the electro-music gang have created the perfect environment where things like this can blossom.

The way I look at it, the act of building synthesizers and other electronic music apparati is not a means to an end. They're created to produce electronic music, and they're created by people. Rather than forbidding the discussion of what they're created for, you provide more than ample opportunity to discuss and explore electronic music in general and specifically what other artists think, feel, and believe about the artform. And, just as importantly, we are given the opportunity to hear what others produce, and, again just as importantly, why and often how they produce it

Electronic music cannot exist in a vacuum - I am convinced that it (and any form of music for that matter) is the perfect medium to reflect the inner workings of the soul and how how the soul is influenced by the world outside of ourselves. electro-music provide the means to learn, laugh and rant about things other than music or electronics, and this in turn serves to feed inspiration in its own way.

And, last, but not least, Synth DIY is a lonely obsession. If you have somebody within miles that even cares about synthesizers, consider yourself lucky. Finding someone who understands the whole thing is even harder to come by. It's that vacuum thing, again. There are few things more joyful than finding others who have the same level of enthusiasm for something as arcane as spending their spare time in a basement with a soldering iron; a smile on their faces and intangible dreams in their hearts....

So, yeah, more rather thanks to you indeed. And your electro-music henchmen Very Happy

Cheers,
Scott
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
electro-music henchmen Very Happy

Shocked Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
Scott Stites wrote:
electro-music henchmen Very Happy

Shocked Rolling Eyes

Discovery Channel will soon issue an 8 disc DVD box." The electro-music henchmen ".

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
zipzap

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks to everyone. you said it all allready. like in no other place on the web i feel "connected" and welcome. and besides, i have learned a lot lot lot!
doctorvague

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi
I'm new here and mostly lurking at present but was very happy to find this place and the very nice people on board. Scott said it very eloquently, and better than I ever could! Thanks Howard and all the contributors, of which I will be one, soon.
Best regards to all,
Phil in Kansas City
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome Phil!! Another Kansan on the list (see, it gets less and less lonely). In fact, I've seen others from Lawerence and Topeka. KKissinger is just across the river in Missouri, I believe.

Quote:
electro-music henchmen

Well, nothing quite on the order of the finger lopping Yakuza. Except for the Nambuccan. You gotta watch him. (stage whisper) I think he's a robot....

Certainly worth an eight disc box DVD set, though. I hear the soundtrack is awesome.

Cheers,
Scott
goodrevdoc

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
And, last, but not least, Synth DIY is a lonely obsession. If you have somebody within miles that even cares about synthesizers, consider yourself lucky. Finding someone who understands the whole thing is even harder to come by. It's that vacuum thing, again. There are few things more joyful than finding others who have the same level of enthusiasm for something as arcane as spending their spare time in a basement with a soldering iron; a smile on their faces and intangible dreams in their hearts....

Couldn't agree more. Thanks for a great site Howard!
-justin
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Howard ! I try to be as active as my schedule allows. I am very thankful for this forum as it really helped me to feel less isolated. I feel like I have made many new friends. I am grateful to you, your hard work in maintaining a wonderful web site, and all the wonderfully intelligent, and fun, people on this forum Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Sincerely,
Bill
jksuperstar

G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As a direct result of this activity, I've been decreasing my use of software, increasing my development & use of hardware, and having twice as much fun! I get my engineering and music fixes in one! Someday I might get around to recording again...too much fun at the moment though Smile
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Well, nothing quite on the order of the finger lopping Yakuza. Except for the Nambuccan. You gotta watch him. (stage whisper) I think he's a robot....

I prefer "synthetic humanoid".

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for all the thoughtful and kind words - much appreciated. Still, suggestions for improvement are always welcome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
softfin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think a simple gallery devoted to layouts and schematics would be useful...

Work, family and hobbies (like sdiy and actually playing synths and other instruments) takes so much time that - at least I - feel that the time I have for participating here is rather limited. So i believe an easy/fast to use gallery for schems/layouts would be a great channel for sharing ideas with minimum effort.

I have to and want to give respect to Mosc and other people who make it possible to have this magnificent forum.
I haven't myself been able to support this community much if at all due to my limited skills and time, but I'll try to do my best and share the stuff that could be of some use to others too.

Best,
Lassi from Finland
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

I always thought that would be nice. Stuff happens so fast here it's hard to remember what threads had layouts and schemos in em'

mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah this is for me the best part of the forum!
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

softfin wrote:

That seems to be a very good suggestion. Thank you.

Keep those suggestions coming.

I would like to think about how to implement such a gallery.

First thoughts - I like the forum because attachments - schematics and layouts - are near the discussion. Explanations, questions, pictures, corrections, are all kept together. But I can see that wading through all of the topics and posts can be tedious when you want a particular graphic. So, maybe some kind of index would be good - member created and maintained, of course. Something like the mp3 listings, http://electro-music.com/mp3media.php , and g2 patch archives, http://electro-music.com/g2patches.php .

That would be pretty easy to do. It could be limited to the DIY forum. People may have to go back and edit the comments of the attachments to make it easier to identify what the images are. But the listing would not only point to the graphic, but to the forum topic.

Comments?

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Comments?

It would make it a helluvalot easier to find the schematics Very Happy

What file extensions should be indexed ?

Would it be a bad thing if it worked outside the diy section as well ? When it would work the same way as for the sound files there would be a forum selector to narrow down the index listing - that one could be set to default to diy and then still all images on the forum would be indexed for those would want to use that. Just like the sound file index now defaults to the online music but can still be used to find tracks in the G2 (or the diy) forum.

Funky40

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Howard

thank you for this very nice internet place, and thanks to all others which share their tips and knowledge.
this Forum is done perfect Very Happy
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kinf of in line with Jan's musings here - bear in mind I have absolutely no idea if this could be implemented, but....

When any one of us uploads a schematic or print, it eats into our allotted storage space on electro-music. For example, in the Klee thread, there are several things I've uploaded that should stay there for it to make much sense. So, as long as that stuff is there, my storage space is cut short by the amount of space those files take.

What I'm saying is, if there is a general area for schematics, etc., it would be nice if storage space could be allotted separately for it. Say (theoretically) Bill or Jens or Matthias, etc., eventually uploads 20 MB worth of stuff - then that would then be all they could upload until they deleted something.

Maybe it could be put in the thread, then a moderator could determine if it should be a permanent thing in the schematic area, replace it with a pointer to its location in the schematic bank, and free up the donor's storage space.

Things that make you go hmmmm......

Oh, yes, synthetic humanoid is much better than robot, than you. It even beats 'android' which inevitably brings up a mental image of a mechanical Ziggy Stardust.

Cheers,
Scott

Edit: donor, not donator.

Also forgot to add that a mechanical Ziggy Stardust might not look too different than Maria.....
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Keep in mind Scott,
that if you use up your 20MB, you could have a little chat with Master Mosc, and he might just up your limit a bit. I think he did that for me before. Wink

zipzap

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fantastic idea. i remember when i first came here the diy-forum had two pages. It really gets difficult sometimes to find a certain thread or schematic. gallery would be cool. little comment saying what it is and a link to the thread where it´s been discussed.
I had two more ideas we could maybe talk about:
A subforum for completed projects- no problem really when they are among the other discussions, but still it might help to organize all the ideas that come up here. like, if someone has invented a new beast, or likes to summarize a discussion that has leat to the new beast, that person can make a little descripion, have all the schematics and samples in one text, and post it in the "projects" forum.
Another subforum i could imagine is about general electronic problems that are not by themselfes synth related, like grounding and layout design, pcb-making, part replacement, stuff like that.

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

howard, i just want to say thank you for creating and maintaining this place. it's a great community for beginners (i count me one). i get so much help, support and inspiration here - it's great.
thank you.

one thing i like is the absence of subforums. it makes everything more liquid - if you understand what i mean... i don't have to look in different forums/subforums, each day/week/month has it's specific treads and themes...

anyway, it's agreat place here - thank you again, howard.

zipzap

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes, right about that. it all has it´s pros and cons. "liquid" is good.
guess there´s no need for the "electronics" subforum, since it would be hard to separate the two anyhow.
for finished projects it would still help to have them all in one place. description, pics, schematics, layouts and mods.
Some people have their own hompage to put these things, others don´t...
And if someone new comes to the forum it could be cool to see all the designs that were created here, and have a "finished" description in one place, rather than having to find the details (or only part) in some of the old threads.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: