electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Simmons SDS 3 - DIY?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 6 of 14 [345 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 12, 13, 14 Next
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes but i wonder if it could replace the sds3?
bubblechamber

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I lost all the files I had gathered to get this started when my drive crashed late last year and I have been having some trouble tracking them down again. If anyone here could help I would love to get back into this project.
David
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's the schem that I've got.

SDS-3-drum-synth.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.95 MB
 Viewed:  793 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

SDS-3-drum-synth.gif

mono-poly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bubblechamber wrote:
I lost all the files I had gathered to get this started when my drive crashed late last year and I have been having some trouble tracking them down again. If anyone here could help I would love to get back into this project.
David

That's some great news David!
wave wave
A cool modification would be 2 ad cv inputs on the modulation busses of the voicecards.
For the rest i would love to keep it as origional as possible.
ksys

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

man, that recent ebay auction just about made me cry. that was surely the mintiest freshest most gorgeous sds3 we'll see for many moons. if someone hasn't come up with a pcb design by the time i learn how to, i will ; )
creatorlars

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm totally in for building/testing this, as things progress.
bubblechamber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've got a couple of projects that have to take priority, but I've started. I'll put some real work in over the next week or so and I will have some idea of what we're looking at. I'm very much into extending it's functionality, but I want to make sure the changes do not effect the original sound.

it looks like it would be pretty straight forward to make a Eurorack sized single voice...

the only obscure part is SN74121 and they are at mouser, just a little more expensive than 555s.

i'll keep you posted
david
creatorlars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's great news. I'll be watching this thread and am glad to test/doublecheck any circuits or PCB layouts.
bubblechamber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well; thanks to a heat wave in Los Angeles, very little on my tivo and A/C in only one room I've made a fair amount of progress this weekend.

I'm going to want to breadboard 1 voice before I get real serious about the layout, but it should go pretty smoothly.

just a hands up on what we're going to need for this for a full 4 voice

LM1458X20
LM3086X15
CA3080X4
74121X4
LM301X4
about 30 trannies, 50 caps and 250 resistors.

i'll keep you guys posted as this moves along
david
mono-poly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great to see it is in progess now!
echolot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great... heard a lot of good things about the sds3 though i never used one myself. i'd def. be in for a pcb or two when finished
mono-poly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey David

Any upates so far?

Cheers,

Dennis
bubblechamber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi guys, i should have a voice breadboarded shortly and i've started the PCB layout as well. slowly but surely... the board is going to be 1 sided and i'm trying to keep the jumpers to a minimum.
david
creatorlars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't wait. Smile
mono-poly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Me to.
goodrevdoc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool!!! Laughing
-justin
Coriolis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is looking good.

But for those of us living east of the Pond, a question comes up:
Where to get the SN74121 in the EU or elsewhere. We all know what Mouser charges for transatlantic shipping, and I found the price to be similar with the 2 ebay stores that carry the Sn74121 right now (26$ to ship a single chip to Denmark).

Any ideas?

C

b-funk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

coriolis:

check fibra-brandt.de

they stock it for 0,90€, and i don´t think they will charge 26$ for shipping to denmark... AND: lots of other useful stuff there.

best wishes,

tobias
Coriolis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks tobias, that looks better!
Minimum order 5 euro, shipping in EU 4 euro w/o insurance, 6 euro with insurance. Not ultra cheap, but very nice!

C

bubblechamber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

moving along, not too far yet, but we're moving along...
I have a few questions for the group.

I'm designing this with all the pots off the board for maximum flexibility, kind of like Fonik does, is this what you guys want? I prefer pots mounting onto the PCB, but this really limits the panel design and mounting options...

Do you guys want a single voice and full version? I'm thinking of doing the voice on one board, the mixer on another. that way your final box can be as big or small as you need. I'm going to try hard to get the voice card down to Euro/Frac size, but I can't promise anything.

There will be jumpers, I usually use 0r resistors instead of pieces of wire, so you might want to toss some into next order from mouser... I have a ton if you're having trouble finding them. just let me know.

that's about it for now...
here's a picture of the progress
d

sdslayout.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.86 KB
 Viewed:  264 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

sdslayout.jpg

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think there are some situations where PCB mounted pots/switches make a lot of sense.
* It eliminates wiring errors for those components. This alone can sometimes be enough to justify it.
* It can greatly reduce crosstalk/RF/mains hum, depending on the circuit.
* The biggest drawback to me is tying down the footprint of the components, but, for example, including the pads for 24mm and 16mm pots will cover most situations, and doesn't take up much extra space.
* A layout designed for PCB mounting pots and switches can still be used for off board mounting/wiring, the reverse is not true.
* It does tie down the placement/order of controls so this needs careful thought.
* The extra space on the board for routing all the connections rather than just leaving through a connector can increase the cost of the board significantly.

All up, for something like the SDS-3, which doesn't have more than 6-8 controls per channel, I'd seriously consider on board mounting. I know that for something like the MPS (pot,skt,switch&LED count -> 34) on board controls would have reduced the build time by 70-80%, but,...... One MPS would have ended up about 4ft long! Laughing

So, if the size of the boards doesn't impact the estimated cost per board by too much, on board controls would make for a very easy and less error prone build.

bubblechamber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree about the PCB mounted parts. the only problem might be getting the same parts.
I'm trying to sort out bulk pricing on pots for something else, so i would not be opposed to selling kits of the PCB mounted parts...

Individual voice cards with PCB mounted components should still be narrow and thin enough to allow flexible mounting/case design.

d

Coriolis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Individual voice cards with PCB mounted components should still be narrow and thin enough to allow flexible mounting/case design.

Sounds about right to me - I HATE wiring pots. What pot spacing would we be looking at here? 1 inch would be nice, but less than that might cut it.
What do the euro/frac folks usually prefer?

C

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Coriolis wrote:
Quote:

Sounds about right to me - I HATE wiring pots. What pot spacing would we be looking at here? 1 inch would be nice, but less than that might cut it.
What do the euro/frac folks usually prefer?

C

doepfer [eurorack] uses 800mil vertical spacing
(which needs very good knobs then. in germany there are some complaints about the knobs he uses. i use soft touch knobs now. they have more >grip<...)

individual voice cards with PCB mounted pots would be very nice. for euro or frac-rack it would not work, i fear. you will not be able to have more than 5 pots in a column.

Coriolis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A question: I see there are 3086 arrays in there. Are those for the ladder filters? Cos's I would love not having to match trannys for that... Wink

Quote:
800mil vertical spacing

Eh? What's that in mm?

C

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 6 of 14 [345 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 12, 13, 14 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: