electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
studio rearranging...
Page 1 of 4 [77 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
jkn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: studio rearranging... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I spent much of Friday rearranging my studio (aka spare bedroom). I'm adding a pair of studio monitors - and to get them into a decent location it's taking quite a bit of rearranging. Anyone have photos of your studio space up? I never seem to take any of mine because it's always a bit of a wreck. Smile

Anyway - fun stuff - just can't wait to get all put back together. Thankfully the keyboard rack and mixer didn't change - just some furniture and various small items (none of which were really "studio" related.)
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For a detailed description of the gear, see http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-75.html

I've changed things a bit, I need to take a fresh photo. the Nord Modular is replaced by a new G2, and the Moog has a real keyboard now - a Roland A-37 with a MPU-101 MIDI/CV interface.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jkn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Your desk looks very similar to mine... I feel so much better now. Wink
jkn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very cool studio. I like your mix of gear.

Once I get things more settled - I'll snap a shot and post a similar message. I love seeing how other people arrange things and what they use.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hehe, the desk is the one thing everyone notices!

I'll look forward to the pics of the new setup. There are some other studio pics, or references to them around. I guess you have seen this one:

see: http://www.cikira.com/

She's a memeber here, but she hasn't posted anything yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's another member's studio.

see: http://sayersweb.com/studio/index.html

Mr. Sayer hasn't been around recently. He was an early contributor here.
jkn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes - I've seen cikira around before. Huge collection of gear.

My little setup really doesn't hold a candle to any of these (yours included)... Not a problem - I like what I have and am comfortable with it. Smile
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
For a detailed description of the gear, see http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-75.html

you say to have a "Small Yamaha MIDI keyboard" but what's that red keyboard I see in front of the Moog Modular? it looks like a Roland AX1 strap on midi controller. Is it?

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

She's a memeber here, but she hasn't posted anything yet.

Are you stuttering? Twisted Evil

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

probably not.. I guess this is an example of e being a subversive letter that always wants some attention..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
you say to have a "Small Yamaha MIDI keyboard" but what's that red keyboard I see in front of the Moog Modular? it looks like a Roland AX1 strap on midi controller. Is it?

No, it is a Yamaha toy synth of some kind. Someone gave it to me because it was broken. It needed batteries. Rolling Eyes

At the time that photo was take I didn't use the Moog. Now it is operational and patched into the mixer. The new Roland A-37 is just about as wide as the Moog.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
Are you stuttering? Twisted Evil
No, I was typing.
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here's my workspace:
not pictured:
speakers for pa
upright piano
more amps for guitars
lots of extra wires and junk

studio is subject to frequent mess and re-arranging/wiring...perhaps the last part explains the mess part Rolling Eyes
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

is that a gibson pictured there Question
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
seraph wrote:

No, it is a Yamaha toy synth of some kind. Someone gave it to me because it was broken. It needed batteries. Rolling Eyes

That's a Yamaha SHS-10. I just sold one on ebay. It's not bad if you want a very low cost guitar-style midi controller. Mini keys, No velocity. It has pitchbend, sustain and vibrato. But I couldn't use it that way, because the volume control is at the wrong end. I played it at a few gigs, holding it on my lap, and running some of the cheesy on-board sounds through a guitar processor.
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

egw wrote:
That's a Yamaha SHS-10.

Thanks, I have never heard of it

Quote:
jkn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just got my new monitors hooked up (Mackie HR824) - multiple people have said it'll be like hearing everything in a whole new way... wow - they were right. This is just phenomenal.
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sudden wrote:
is that a gibson pictured there Question

yeah. From the first run of the "Gothic" series. apparently the les paul and the explorer were the only worthwhile ones from the line.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
I'm fond of the orville gibson imprint on the back of the guitar head...he's creepy lookin' Shocked

the bass is a peavey t-40...leftover from my cousin's metal band in the 80's (the name stenciled on the case is RAMPAGE!)
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice nice nice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm new around these parts, but I'll post my studio pictures just for fun

seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

7 wrote:
I'm new around these parts, but I'll post my studio pictures just for fun

it looks like you still own plenty of hardware synths (no virtual synths?)

Quote:
jkn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

7 - your site is interesting. Nifty studio.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

7, Welcome to this site. You made a steathy by significent entry. Your site is cool. I've started listening to your music. Sounds great so far. You have come to the right place, I think. I love this picture. Hope you don't mind me linking to it, but I think everyone has wanted to do this once or twice in their lives.

The NRA should use this picture as part of their lobbying compaign. When people see this, they'll understand what guns are really good for. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph: Yup. I'm an old hardware guy at heart. The only virtual synth I'm using is Gigasampler. I've only sort of played with the others. I also hate software mixing. It takes me 4 times as long to dial in the sound I'm looking for. With hardware I just reach up, twist this, dial up that, and I'm done. Creature of habit I suppose. I did manage to break away from analog tape though (but I still haven't brough myself to part with the Tascam 3Cool

JKN: The site sort of goes off in every direction. It's a work in progress. Wink

mosc: I kind of lurked for a few days before posting. I'm been looking around for a site like this for a while. I like it here.

That picture (and the others in that section of the website) are from the Decomputerization period of Tic Tok Men. We got some computers and blew them up, shot some, hit them with hammers, kicked them, drove them over in a car, all kinds of crazy abuse everyone wants to do but never does. It inspired the song Decomputerization and we thought we better capture some of this nonsence on video,. so we made a music video as well. Smile

One day I'll get around to putting the video online.
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

7 wrote:
seraph: I also hate software mixing. It takes me 4 times as long to dial in the sound I'm looking for. With hardware I just reach up, twist this, dial up that, and I'm done. Creature of habit I suppose.

I understand what you mean but what about automation? I find it extremely interesting Idea

Quote:
Page 1 of 4 [77 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: