electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nomad - NM1 Open Source Editor
Great Work
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Ba5tardo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Great Work Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just wanted to say hello to everyone in here and mention I’m eagerly anticipating new releases for this project. I have to say it’s great that you guys have put the time and effort into pulling this off. I have seen the current version and its pretty slick. Granted, it’s still in development but I’m very impressed with it.

I have been very displeased however with the way which Clavia has completely abandoned the product and refused to provide any help to those wishing to provide support. I can understand their reluctance to continue development an older project however I can’t understand why they would refuse to provide technical documentation to those who would. I like the NM as a platform but honestly they will not see another dime of my money ever again.
chresan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Ba5tardo Smile

thank you for the kind words.

About the critics towards Clavia I have to defend them for now because nobody took the step and asked them to provide technical documentation (as far as I know) which means they did never have a chance to refuse anything.

Christian

julien

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe if clavia sees what the open source community can do, they will open the source of their editors in the future, ensuring that their hardware won't be linked to a deprecated OS after 5 years.

They could probably open their editor source without giving critical information of the internal DSP code of the synth, which is IMHO the major asset of Clavia in this game.

Julien
herr_prof

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

but then someone has to pay sometime to take the time and determine which parts of the code is open sourcable. Not attractive for a product that is no longer brining income in to the company.
chresan

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

herr_prof, I agree with what you said but at least Clavia could release the midi protocol and other related specifications. I am sure they already have these documents for their developers. Personally I think this is not only about the Nord Modular, the specs of the G2 for example are not published either. As a better example take a look for the waldorf product manuals ( http://www.waldorfmusic.de/de/archiv ) , they always publish this kind of information. (for example the Microwave 2 specs: http://www.waldorfmusic.de/assets/files/products/microwave2/docs/mw2_sysex.txt )

Christian

Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nomad - NM1 Open Source Editor
Jump to: