electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
&#$*%*&!!! DP 4.61 KILLING MY SOUL..please help!
Page 7 of 8 [186 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Digiton

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i tried moving all my .vst plugins out of there usual local (and then launching DP), and it didn;t change a thing....see, I use vst wrapper to load my plugins, and they ALL load BEFORE the project fully opens (all the AU's and vst's load and then IF ALL IS WELL the track window, mixer, sequencer,soundbit window all load) but I really don't think the vst's are the culprit.... I really don't know what do about my lack serial numbers if i have to reinstall Shocked
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...serial numbers? lack? what? uh?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Digiton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, here is my only hardware

-keystation (midi keyboard controller)
-Evolution controller (midi conttroller)
-M-Audio Audio Interface..i guess this would be considered my sound card. IT is not made by motu though,,,,
earlier you both said i need to reinstall the software for these before i resintall "straight up" (technical term) software. Guess it couldn't hurt. Nothing could really hurt at this point.

Digiton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh heh
I don't have the serial numbers to 4 + plugins i purchased a while ago....if i reinstall my host sequencer wouldn't I have to have these ready?

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Digiton wrote:
oh heh
I don't have the serial numbers to 4 + plugins i purchased a while ago....if i reinstall my host sequencer wouldn't I have to have these ready?

Oh my... you gotta find those..

..but... if you don´t kill those plugins.. let them stay on the disk.. they will probably be fine.
Keep in mind that the Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST folder is supposed to serve all apps that can use VST plug-ins.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Digiton wrote:
ok, here is my only hardware

-keystation (midi keyboard controller)
-Evolution controller (midi conttroller)
-M-Audio Audio Interface..i guess this would be considered my sound card. IT is not made by motu though,,,,
earlier you both said i need to reinstall the software for these before i resintall "straight up" (technical term) software. Guess it couldn't hurt. Nothing could really hurt at this point.

The Maudio pre something?? I think i saw that one in that log dump..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Digiton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah...i'll check the log again
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Digiton, I gotta do some other stuff now. I won´t be able to help you with this until tomorrow night.. uh.. tonight.. I´ll be busy.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex suggested rebuilding the project again from scratch, didn´t he?

Anyways, I´ll let the DP experts suggest your next move.

That sick .kext file can hardly be good though. You might check with MOTU if that one somehow affects stability even though you aren´t using MOTU interfaces. It could even be that it possibly is known to be reported as sick even though it isn´t. Shocked I have seen such happen too.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Digiton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Max Abeles?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.myspace.com/maksee

?

Right?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Digiton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Let it be known that one this day, April 15 of the year 2007 that three wise men set sail into cyberspace and come home successful...

HAHA ! Hell yeah! I had to drag my AU 's and MAS shit (i have some motu plug ins...maybe this is what we saw in the log) out of the system/library/audio/plugin Folder, not just the vsts! YAY! Im not even caring about how that means I cant really do any new MIDI work, i'm just PUMPED i can at least bounce this piece (which is really almost done) to disk.

As an aside, I had a folder in my Ex Drive called Acoustic Forms...I also had a folder on my desktop housing all my performer projects WITH THE SAME NAME...could this have been a factor?

Bless you both, I shall post this sonic whelp of data once it is complete.
G,night
and back to work Twisted Evil

-yes i am max abeles, I don't like the name digiton but I am paranoid about some stranger knowing my real name.....cheers

MOSES!!!!.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  237.7 KB
 Viewed:  9736 Time(s)

MOSES!!!!.jpg

Digiton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and here you can see why it would have been hell if i had to start over again with only the files.......

Picture 1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  593.18 KB
 Viewed:  9732 Time(s)

Picture 1.png

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, glad to see you finally sussed it.

By any chance was one of your VST plugins Mode? I was looking at your crashdump again and I think that was the offending module. Once you get your stuff backed up and you are back to being stable, you might try judiciously adding back those VST apps. Lack of a serial number on Mode shouldn't kill DP though.

Definitely not a standard kind of failure.

Well glad to see you got your project back.

Home,My Studio,and another view
EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

As an aside, I had a folder in my Ex Drive called Acoustic Forms...I also had a folder on my desktop housing all my performer projects WITH THE SAME NAME...could this have been a factor?

No. I'm still looking into what could have been the actual cause. When you check in again let me know if you were running Mode. It's a Cycling 74 product.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I didn´t completely understand what Max did in order to get it running again. I would have liked ..."procedures"... you know.. Laughing

If I understand him correctly he ripped out ALL plug-ins and not only the VSTs?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's what it looks like, he moved all of his plugins (I suspect MAS and VST) which would certainly work (and speed up startup) but is kind of sub-optimal from a versatility point of view Confused Well we'll see what he comes back with.

At the very least, restoring the MAS folder would work.

I think I'll publish a "project rescue" procedure in the next day for DP. I've been looking around for one on the Intarweb but haven't seen one.

Digiton

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i know, i can't really do anything right now.....just listen to the audio files and chop around with other files. I still don't get what is the issue truly. I'll have a chat with the motu people today.....
Digiton

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and yeah edisson i am/was using mode......its pretty neat. when its not making your computer choke
EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Digiton wrote:
and yeah edisson i am/was using mode......its pretty neat. when its not making your computer choke

I'm pretty sure I can see the crash - here's a step through:

MaxPPC3.1 0x0bff8318 0xbfa0000 + 361240 ! this is the Max for PPC runtime which is crashing, not DP itself

1 <Unknown> 0x0aae0980 vstplug_load + 228 ! not a good thing
2 mode.bang-delay 0x021d99a8 IntoVstPlugLib + 520 ! This is probably the bad boy causing all the trouble
3 mode.bang-delay 0x021d93a8 main + 792
4 com.cycling74.PluggoAU 0x0acc5c24 PluggoAUEntry + 12592
5 com.cycling74.PluggoAU 0x0acc2e50 PluggoAUEntry + 860
6 com.cycling74.PluggoAU 0x0acc2534 dyld_stub_memchr + 181011732
7 com.cycling74.PluggoAU 0x0acdc358 PluggoAUViewEntry + 78896
8 ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 0x90bdec60 CallComponent + 260
9 ...apple.audio.units.AudioUnit 0x942f5854 AudioUnitGetPropertyInfo + 56

My guess is you can put back everything except Mode, and rerun AU Scan.
Then things will be useful again.

How old is that copy of Mode? You said you're running OSX 10.4.9 and it could be that the Max runtime needs to be updated. I remember you use Forester too. That might have written over the Max runtime. There is definitely something odd going on there.

Cycling 74 only says "Important Installation Notes * If you are installing Mode 1.3.1 and also use Max/MSP then you must update Max/MSP to version 4.6.2."

If that Max Runtime is 3.1 then it's very likely to have a problem. I don't have Mode but I do have Max/MSP, Pluggo, Hipno and Forester, so I might have a look at my setup when I get home. Or sooner if I have time.

EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also I'm on the Max/MSP list, I can go through the notes on the latest runtime.

Digiton

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, i'll try and just remove mode....i'll see what happens! Thanks edisson
Digiton

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i dont know
removing the vst plugin folder really does nothing to aid the problem, its odd because even when the vst folder is removed it still lists vst related files as part of the cause of the crash. I also tried removing the pluggo AU componenet to get all cycling stuff outta there, and still nothing. Is there other things like reciepts and stuff that i should try moving around?
So, as i said if a yanked everything dealing with plugins out of the system/audio/plugin folder (my MAS folder, VST folder, and AU folder [componenet]) it works. But like you two said, that renders me pretty useless.

Now, here is something. I kept all folders, but just removed "MAS Audiounit Suppport.bundle" from my MAS folder. No crash....does that mean this dealing with AU's only? Then i tried removing all the components and keeping the MAS folder with the support.bundle and it crashed?! I was hoping i could find which AU plugin was causing the crash but, for now, it seems this bundle is causing the trouble.
The crash reports are all the same no matter what folders are where.

EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmm. that's odd.

So what you probablyshould do is reinstall it all. I'm not in front of my Mac and you need to do this properly, (you have an iLoc right?) you should rightfully blow away your DP preferences file too.

You're sure these crashes are all the same? I'd like to see the first 10 or so lines from each one, just to be sure.

I don't remember that you've reinstalled any of this stuff yet.

Also did you run the AU scan each time you change contents in the plug ins folder?

Sorry to keep throwing stuff at you. But if we go slowly and methodically we can eliminate things along the way, and you will be less frustrated in the long run.

Page 7 of 8 [186 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Jump to: