electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
&#$*%*&!!! DP 4.61 KILLING MY SOUL..please help!
Page 2 of 8 [186 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

remember...

breathe... breathe...

Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Digiton

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

goddamn im screwed. I don't even think i have partitioned anything. am i supposed to? dont' worry you don't really have to answer, kind of retorical. So you think i shouldn't use my HD at all? Oh brother. I don't even know how to make my Lacie bootable and i feel odd keeping you guys here like technicians. You both are worth you weight in sine wives. Yes, i'll keep that typo. Very Happy
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Please use that external drive. A partition is OK for some disaster recovery now and then, but the best way to do repairs on a drive is to access it from another physical drive ( system and tools. )

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK..

1. What is on your LacieDrive and how full is it?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Digiton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just an aside....we are reaching 30 posts. Wild. Much appreciated. I think i'm signing off for now though.
Lader

Digiton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, back on the horse Confused

my lacie drive 232. Gig capacity (i guess it is 250 gig). I have 218 gigs available on it right now. I do lots of video work (less now then music but oh well) so i have a back lacie but that has LOTS of important stuff......so yeah. My "working" drive has 218 gigs of 232 overall.

Digiton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and i have mainly soundfiles but also some quicktime movies and some final cut documents on the disk
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are simple and free tools for copying your exiting drive to another.. but in your case I would suggest making sure that the Lacie drive is HFS+ ( standard mac formatting ) and you can install a system on that one by using the system DVD.

The install app will suggest formatting, but I think you most probably have stuff you would like to keep on the lacie drive. If you have say 30 gig free.,., install a basic system. Don´t bother to include the full iLife suite.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Digiton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

muchos gracias
so if i may read this back to see if i get it
make sure lacie drive is HFS+
insert system DVD
install os x 10.4.6 ( i upgraded to 10.4.9 with software update) onto lacie, annex the ilife suite.

OK, so then how do i make so the system starts from the lacie, not my HD?
(If you need to come back to this thread later or something just say so, i know this is dragging on)

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uh.. some 10 gigs free?
Argh...

It might work..

OK... first.. find your LaCie in the finder and do a "get info" .. apple+ I or the menu command. If the Format says Format: Mac OS Extended .. then we are in business.

If you have some shit on it you know you can get offa bittorrent again.. please delete.. Laughing
I would like something like 20-25 gigs free... but..

And... if you see what is in your root already.. your boot drive.. you wil see names of various folders that the system uses.. None your files/folders must have these names. like Users, Applications etc..
What you could do is throw EVERYTHING which is visible on your drive nto a new folder called something like My Personal Stuff. That way you keep the structure inside that like what you previously had in main root view of that external drive.

Then insert system DVD and install on the Lacie.
Important: There will be a button there somewhere which is named configure or osmething of the sort wich lets you choose what to install. Choose the basic system, ditch iDVD and that lot.. ditch printer drivers and additional languages. You may include X11. You won´t need that one now, but.. it´s nice to know it`s there.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To boot from another available system, see startup disk in system prefs. Like.. in the Apple menu..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll let elektro80 do his stuff. When you get back to DP questions, check with me again k?

Home,My Studio,and another view
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And no such thing as choosing reformat/delete of target drive when installing!!!! You hear! Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I´m moving this to the general DAW/OS X forum. Whatever we are messing with here will be relevant for others when doing system repairs.

And I´m sure we will need the good doctor EdisonRex later on. Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DiskWarrior will repair the directories and also let you search for corrupted files. Check the "Files" tab later on. Also keep an eye on the Smart Disk status.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are we there yet? Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:
Diskwarrior rocks. You should spend the money on it. I did and it saved my ass once.

I'm gonna have to chime in too to say how true this statement is. Diskwarrior has now saved my arse twice now. HD's have 'magically' sprung back into action after running Diskwarrior. I feel naked and vulnerable without it Embarassed

IMHO, It's the best £100 you'll ever spend.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Digiton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, um i hope i didn't do something dumb. YEs my Ex drive is in extended network whatever (sorry i'm growng weary, but i shall hold on)
but I transfered EVERYTHING from my HD (apps, stuff in "home", files) to my Ex Drive....now I HAD 218 GB LEFT on my ex drive so this was feasible memory wise. I must have miss typed because you were left believing i only had 10 Gb LEFT. So, anyway. I have just taken an hour copying all this junk and now i have to copy all this stuff again into another folder called my stuff?????????? I mean, the reasoning behind all this was that i feared that because i didn't have the serial numbers for alot of my plugins that it would be impossible to run stuff of the external so i opted just to copy it all but what is this dumb i don't know going crazy.
ok, well, so now i need to run disk warrior on my HD..fine i can do that. I will. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by Digiton on Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Digiton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what?! Surprised
Digiton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what?! Surprised
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Digiton wrote:
ok, um i hope i didn't do something dumb. YEs my Ex drive is in extended network whatever (sorry i'm growng weary, but i shall hold on)
but I transfered EVERYTHING from my HD (apps, stuff in "home", files) to my Ex Drive....now, I HAVE 218 GB LEFT on my ex drive. I must have miss typed because you were left believing i only had 10 Gb LEFT. So, anyway. I have just taken an hour copying all this junk and now i have to copy all this stuff again into another folder called my stuff?????????? I mean, the reasoning behind all this was that i feared that because i didn't have the serial numbers for alot of my plugins that it would be impossible to run stuff of the external so i opted just to copy it all but what is this dumb i don't know going crazy.
ok, well, so now i need to run disk warrior on my HD..fine i can do that. I will. Thanks for all the help.

STOP!!!!!!!

The my stuff thing was about protecting files and folders from being flunked by the installer. If you simply needed a plain copy.. we might have used another tool which might have created a bootable system for you ASAP.. while copying.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One reason why I wouldn´t suggest running a copy of your boot disk was that I simply would not take the risk... if something is afoot the drive should run minimally.. no wear and tear you know..

First check the drive
If OK.. next step..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy

I simply wanted you to install a system on that external drive + DW.

Anyways, probably everything is OK.. but I do have proper procedures you know. Cool

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...breathe....

I´m a bit oldfashioned you see. I always follow procedures and make sure I´ve done the right things in the right order. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 2 of 8 [186 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Jump to: