electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Thomas Henry's SN76477 Super Controller Module
Page 3 of 10 [232 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 8, 9, 10 Next

Is there an interest in Super Controller PCBs?
Yes, by all means.
95%
 95%  [ 23 ]
No, it just doesn't cut the mustard, i think.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't know. I mean, i... er...
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 24

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just want to let you know: i am still working on it. progress is much slower than i thought...

below a preview:
[EDIT: new picture uploaded in later post]

Last edited by fonik on Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fonik:

Looks good! Don't worry about the time, I'm sure all of us have plenty of projects. It's better to do it right than fast! Everytime I've designed a pcb, I gain respect for those that do it for a living.

Can you advise the board size? I'm hoping it's under 85mm wide so I can fit it flat behind a 2u rack panel. If not, I can always mount it perpendicular to the panel.
fonik

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the boards size is about 122mm x 84mm (4.8in x 3.3in).

i'd liked to have it shorter than that (about 100mm) but i did not achieved it yet. it's compact anyway but maybe i could do a little more...

i think it's small enough for even euroracks.

bambam

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I could definitely be up for 1 or 2 of these Wink
will you message when they are ready?

cheers
Brett
philpeery

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject:  SN76477 SC pcb... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This looks GREAT! I want 3 now instead of 2!!! Just thinking ahead for a small modular I am going to build for my nephew....

Can't WAIT!!!
bubblechamber

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks great, thanks for all the hard work.
mark_olson

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would take one of these too.

Mark
fonik

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
will you message when they are ready?

hi all,

thanks for the kind replies. i tracked everyone who said he would be interested and i will keep you all informed about the progress for sure.

next week i will populate the PCB. it's etched and drilled. i am curious how it works out...

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
just want to let you know: i am still working on it. progress is much slower than i thought...

The board is looking very nice Fonik !!! Very Happy God job !

Bill
Thomas Henry

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:

Hah! You want slow? I still have nightmares of doing a PCB layout for this twenty-five years ago, by hand with press-on tapes and donuts. I recall it severely interfered with my libido until it was done, much to my groupies' dismay.

Seriously, though, it is a big circuit, so don't be afraid to go as slow as it takes. When I do things this complex I wear out several sets of colored pens checking and double-checking.

And be sure to reserve a board for me; I want to build one with the SN-Voice altogether. Should make a potent combination.

Keep up the good work...

Thomas Henry
Thomas Henry

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:

Oh no, State Machine, don't tell me you're from Kansas too!

Thomas Henry
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, I resemble that remark! Very Happy
fonik

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i am not a native speaker, so could you PLEASE be so kind to explain to a german sausage from the old europe how you know from a single line that one could possibly be from kansas? does god equal good in kansas only? sorry, i am totaly lost...
sneakthief

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mr. Henry - donuts & pcb's? Were you making a Moog Torus clone? Laughing

Fonik - the Kansas board of education has at various times insisted that creationism be taught as equally as evolutionary theory Rolling Eyes So basically it's a joke from an innocent misspelling, unlike my horrible joke above.

In this case, the joke is that it's like being able to instantly recognize a Bavarian if they greet you by saying "Grüß Gott" heheh

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thomas wrote:
Quote:
I recall it severely interfered with my libido until it was done, much to my groupies' dismay.

Oh shit, I am doomed ............. Shocked

Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
State Machine wrote:

Oh no, State Machine, don't tell me you're from Kansas too!

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Bill
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They had a presidential debate here recently - one of the questions asked was "Do you believe in evolution?" The implication, at least in Kansas, is that the theory of evolution is somehow more discredited by certain religious beliefs than other sciences that also suggest things such as the earth being more than six thousand years old.

It's kind of like asking "Do you believe in geology?" or "Do you believe in astronomy?". Thomas mentioned something about reading somewhere that many of the candidate's answer simply proved Darwin right...

In my high school biology class, 45 minutes out of the entire two semesters were devoted to evolution. That 45 minutes was spent discrediting evolution and techniques used to reinforce the theory, such as carbon dating. This was back in 1977-78. The superintendent of my high school was later a member of the board that enacted the creationist approach to "education" (this has since been repealed, but probably only for as long as it takes to vote the current board out - it constantly goes back and forth). Fortunately, my father was also a biology teacher who understood and believed in the principles of science. I had many heretical books to read at home. And I did.

Back to your regularly scheduled SuperController (Looking very good Fonik!!! I wanna put mine in with my SN-Voice, too).

Cheers,
Scott

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
I wanna put mine in with my SN-Voice, too).

hehe! Snap! Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott:

I do technical support for our company and Kansas was my territory for a number of years. When my fellow support guys or friends made fun of the fact I had to cover Kansas, I used to say, " Kansas can't be so bad. Superman came from Kansas." And they would say." Yeah, I guess you're right.........Hey! Wait a minute!!" ..when they realized Superman is fiction!!
bambam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

heya fonik

looks like i'll be sending you more cash! put me down for two and let me know when you have a final price etc.

woohoo now i know why i stocked up on a few sn76477's Wink
bubblechamber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've started looking around for some sn76477 chips and I was wondering if there is any interest in some sort of group buy? I've sent some requests off to parts clearing houses and I've had good luck with them in the past finding long extinct items.
I'll probably have a to order at least 25 chips, and hopefully they'll be cheaper then the $40 on Ebay right now.
I'll post prices and quantities available when I hear back on my requests.

David
sneakthief

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bubblechamber wrote:
I'll probably have a to order at least 25 chips, and hopefully they'll be cheaper then the $40 on Ebay right now.

David

how about $15?

http://www.arcadechips.com/product_info.php?products_id=139

arcadechips have lots of satisfied customers (me included) and the owner posts here on the forum.

bubblechamber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

is there a price break if we buy a lot?
Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fonik:

I had a little spare time and started comparing your pcb layout to Tom's schematic in the book. It's a little difficult as your resistor and cap numbering is different, but I think I found a problem. Please examine Q7. It appears that the SN's noise output is routed into the drain of Q7 instead of the gate. I believe your layout for Q7 is 180 degrees out of alignment. If you rotate your MPF102 180 degrees, it should work with your pcb. I also checked Q6, and that one is fine. I'll continue to check when I get moments to do so and advise good, bad or otherwise as I go. Hopefully, that will get your prototype running.
Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fonik:

couple more things to check out:

1. Pin 19 of the SN/U1 should be tied to +5V, but it appears to be n/c

2. check Q1. If it is pin compatible with the 2N3904 specified by Tom, it is also rotated 180 degrees from where it should be. The trace from pin 21 of the SN is attached to the collector instead of the emitter. Then again if you used a different transistor, it may have a different pinout.

3. If Q1 is indeed 180 degrees out of rotation and Q7 is also, you may want to scrutinize all your transistors (except Q6 which is fine). I've been known to make this mistake, but I'll never admit it to my co-workers!
Page 3 of 10 [232 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 8, 9, 10 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: