electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
KRK question
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
West_Berliner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: KRK question
Subject description: monitors! V4s or RP8s?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so i've decided that this summer im finally going to invest in some monitors. I was looking at KRKs and im looking at either the V4s ( http://www.krksys.com/index2.php?cat=products&page=v4_series2 ) or the RP8s ( http://www.krksys.com/index2.php?cat=products&page=rokit_rp8 )

now my dilemma is practically the size, as a pair of either one will run me the same. I think the RP8s may have better bass response due to the larger woofer, but the V4s have a kevlar cone rather than the glass aramid composite woofer...
I think the V4s would be better for my room as I dont have a huge space...

I'm just not sure
I like the sound of KRKs so I'm not worried about that, im just not sure if the V4s are that much better to justify getting a smaller monitor for the same price as a larger one.

thanx! Smile
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

V4 would make more sense in a smaller studio. But I don't usually crank up my K-rocs, and I have a smaller studio (in size anyway). I tend towards near field monitoring.

KRK speakers are great, IMHO.

Home,My Studio,and another view
Alexander

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use the rokit 8's and I used the V4's in school and it's a big difference in low end. The rokits are a lot bigger and they haven't disappointed me. Try some A-B comparing at a store and buy the ones where you think your work sounds the most honest on. Buying smaller ones to fit a small studio is a good idea, but what if you move to a bigger room in the future and r8's work well in smaller spaces, you could trim the low.

But as already mentioned above, krk make great speakers.

West_Berliner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

awesome...yeah hmm i think ill go for the RP-8s just due to the fact that they have more low end...plus I already figured out how ill make room for them..now i need to go make the money...

thanx for your opinions!! Smile both were very helpful
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Be prepared to build some serious bass traps for that little room of yours. Very Happy
In fact, a pair of speakers with "less" bass might actually sound tighter and more bassy in the traditonal sense than speakers that go lower.
AFAICR, those RP8s will sound pretty OK from say 60-200Hz and in a well damped room these will sound a tad fuller than the V4s. The V4s do however tend to sound "faster" or more snappy. The RP8s are great for the price asked, but they are less detailed in the very low end than what you might expect after reading the data sheet. It is of course valid to ask if that really matters. I´ve heard speakers at 3 times the price which sound the same or worse in the deep end.

You shouldn´t focus too much on the low low end at this price. A controlled roll off is usually better, and you should instead focus on the imaging in the mids and highs.

Anyways, the RP8s are OK. But you will need some bass traps. Forget expensive foam products for bass management. Go DIY instead. Cheaper and far better.

An alternative to the RP8s could be something like the Yamaha MSP5 active monitors. These are muscial and fun, not really neutral, but with a decent imaging and they go almost as deep if needed. These are far smaller and easier to place. The MSP5 is pretty unique and it the kind of monitor you would want to keep no matter what else you will buy later. I´m sure you can get these for almost nothing these days. However, the V4s are "better", but in a different way.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As for how deep that bass really is, think notes. Calculate from a note like A at 440hz and take it from there. Think about what a claimed difference of say 5 or 10HZ really is like in terms of a note or two. Too many "monitors" will tend to add atrocious amounts of "colour" affecting several octaves up when hit by those deep notes. AFAICR, the Rokit series isn´t much better than any other product at the price. However, a valid argument for geting a speaker that goes really really deep is that it probably will play the not so low bass ( starting at a note or three above what the datasheet is claiming to be the rolloff/cutoff frequency ) with less artifacts than a speaker that doesn´t go that low. Unless you have silly amounts of room and money, you wouldn´t buy a monitor in order to exploit the bass at the cutoff/rolloff frequency. The main point is that such a speaker delivers what is above in a less distorted way. I know this is not really what most reviews and the ads are telling you. That is however how it really is.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As for trimming the low end in order to make the speakers fit the room, this hardly ever really works as advertised. IMO, keep the speakers as linear as you can and then use bass traps for bass management. When things are under control, then you might consider using those bass rolloffs filters on the monitors in order to get a rolloff character you like or find most useful.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Trivia:

Most of us have never really heard how deep bass sounds like when stripped of those usual low end artifacts caused by the bass drivers and/or ( in most cases -and-... ) the room. Most subwoofers will simply add even more artifacts ( from the drivers and the room ).

Also keep in mind that if you have to much high level deep bass going on can make events in the low end sound out of tune. Level affects how we think we hear pitch. The higher the level the lower the perceived pitch will be and this calculates to a bigger noticable drop in pitch in the low end. This effect can of course also be used creatively, but that is another matter altogether.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
West_Berliner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow! much more than I expected! (and i mean that in a positive way! Smile )

that's what I was thinking....id much rather have less color, and more accuracy, and if i feel the lack of bass, get a sub...the V4s just seem to be higher quality to me...

ill have to go back and read your posts again. much more than i expected!
thanx!
zoonewbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello

This seemed like the most appropriate place to ask this question....

In the past I have just written and recorded wherever I can set some equipment up in the house using headphones.... although I have just finished setting up my new studio in my new house with purpose built shelving and whatnot Very Happy
I am stoked to finally have a permanent place for my stuff but now I think i am ready to start using monitors, I have been looking and reading up whats what and I am a little blown away with the variety even in the low end of the market!

right! I too have been thinking about these KRK's ^^^, but I am still a little confused and do not want to get something thats not suitable.

Can anyone help with recommending some?

info
-My room is only small 4m x 3.2m...
-They will be attached straight to my 16track digi recorder (zoom)...
-Music-wise = electronic sounds (synths, drums etc) + acoustic and electric guitars etc (no vocals)
-Up to £250 - £300 pricerange

cheers
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: