electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Moog or SSM filters for my Juno 106: worth trying?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 3 [75 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
kb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: very inspiring! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just ebay'ed some ba6110's right now after reading this! can we get someone on the forum to work on a pcb for this? Wink

since my hs-60 is now a lab of sorts (for those acetone-80017a experiments on Youtube), I think I'll try this maybe with the pile of cem3328's I have sitting around from a dead Mirage (might be not as nice sounding, though)

I did something similar (though a different kind of Frankensteining) on a SixTrak:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37595587@N00/sets/72157616967698662/

It was a lot of work. I should post sound samples sometime soon...
Mooger5

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey I´ve seen your work before. That was a major achievement. Congrats Very Happy
Please post some soundfiles. The DW-6000 was my first serious synth and I remember the filters sounding very, very nice. I think they were modelled after the SSM2044!

I haven´t heard the CEM3328, but it´s likely it´ll sound closer to the IR3109 than the SSM2044. And it has a built-in buffer so there will be one opamp less for you to be concerned with.

And a PCB would be great for this project, I definitely agree Cool

Regards.

Edit (3-11-09) - I meant the NJM2069AD was modelled after the SSM2040, not the 2044, sorry for the typo...
Mooger5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To the moderators: I got two Topic Reply Notifications since my last post. But there aren´t obviously new replies Confused No complains here, just letting you know Smile
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Such can happen when something was actually posted but deleted later, for instance when someone posted a spam message that got deleted, or someone changing their mind ... not sure what happened here though.
Mooger5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see. Alright, thank you. Smile
radek tymecki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

when I'll make 6 new ssm boards... what should I do after placing em in synth? what calibrations should be made?
Mooger5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Download the 106 Service Manual and follow the instructions.
kb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: do you have the CV ranges for the Juno-106? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi mooger5,

in your work, I'm guessing you measured the full CV ranges for cutoff, resonance, and VCA that go to the 80017a "slot"

could you possibly post those? I can measure them in my Juno, but if you've got them handy, that'd be great.

thanks!
Mooger5

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I measured the CVs in the beginning but didn´t save the notes. I remember I got good DC readings for cutoff. At pin 2 of the slot, for resonance, I got very slight variations, in the order of 0.5 volts. The change was probably in current, but then I noticed there is already a transistor inside the 2044, so I removed TR18 from the voiceboard and it worked. I didn´t bother with the amount of voltage going to the filter chip because there are trimmers for that in the voiceboard. You should get good DC readings at the emitter of TR18. For the VCA control at pin 11 it´s the same thing (except the transistor is not to be removed as any OTA will need it).
I´m on vacations until the end of the week but I will redo the readings when I return home.
Ricoche

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mooger5 wrote:

It´s also convenient to mount IC sockets like the one in the picture. It´s 11 pins but as there´s a gap in the voiceboard between pin 1 and pin 2, I cut each socket to measure 12 pins and brake the second pin with plyers so the sockets fit perfectly. Then I seal the unused hole with solder to prevent wiring mistakes.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Can anyone recommend a place online to find mount IC sockets like the one pictured above? Much appreciated. Thanks!

Jim
Sebo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all:
I finally did the acetone bath to some 80017a.
I took the coat away of 3 chips using acetone and 2 of them worked OK.
The third one, worked too, but not quite right, the VCA worked, but the VCF
behaves strange, the resonance have little effect and the cuttoff have a non
linear response (very weird).
Anyway 2 of 3 is a good number.
Now I have 5 coated working voices in my Juno, and 2 uncoated working
voice for a total of 7, this left me with a spare voice. I will start to decoat
the working voices one by one to prevent them from failing in the future, and if
something goes wrong I will stop decoating and still having 6 working voices.

https://www.facebook.com/cosaquitos/
Sebo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just to be clear, the 3 voices I peeled off, were non working before the process.
https://www.facebook.com/cosaquitos/
radek tymecki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

can somebody check if it's ok?

valvusmusicus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just wondered if anyone has produced an 80017A replacement board using the 3080/SSM2044/roland chip replcement
Willing to board up aload as have facilities at work-and get involved in test/design-my MKS30 and Juno 106 both need replacement-and dont want to drop 40 plus Euros per chip-rather design something new, using readily available components!
Mooger5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="radek tymecki"]can somebody check if it's ok?
Looks very neat! I´ll check the circuit later.
Before making the PCBs, try to arrange the components on a perf board with the same dimensions just to check for clearance in the voiceboard. Some electrolytics sit very close to where the 80017As were.

I was a bit concerned about heat dissipation, as the SSM chips get a little warm. But then so did the 80017As.
Mooger5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Radeck, there are some errors in your layouts.
SSM pin 2 should go to voiceboard pin 2.
Output of opamp should go to voiceboard pin 3.
I´ll check the rest later.

Edit - OK, sorry. I now see what´s going. The blank space in the voiceboard is counted as pin 2. I´ll check later in the evening.
radek tymecki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes you must be careful with pins coz empty one has also a number [2]
Mooger5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Absolutely. Well I just checked your layout and everything seems ok!
radek tymecki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great!

i'll make proto run and then with your help i'll calibrate ju106!

if anyone will be interested i'll provide pcb projects Smile
Mooger5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

radek tymecki wrote:
great!

i'll make proto run and then with your help i'll calibrate ju106!

if anyone will be interested i'll provide pcb projects Smile

Although I have not much time for DIY tronics anymore, I´m definitely interested!

I´d even buy six PCBs to populate in a hopefully non distant future, home-made or manufactured.

On about calibration, finding the optimal high resonance amount is the trickiest part. Excessive self-oscillation will make the filter go wild and won´t track the kbd. For the rest of the procedure it´s just like with the 80017A, if not easier. The BA6110 is the best.
snapper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject:  Roland JUNO-106 80017A Replacement
Subject description: SMD Version with new SSI2144
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SMD Version with new SSI2144 cool

80017a-replace--xyz.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  338.03 KB
 Viewed:  444 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

80017a-replace--xyz.png

80017a-replace--xyz-md.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  286.08 KB
 Viewed:  409 Time(s)

80017a-replace--xyz-md.png

80017a-replace--xyz--md.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.24 KB
 Viewed:  390 Time(s)

80017a-replace--xyz--md.png

Mooger5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uli, is that you? Smile

Seriously, very nice Very Happy

You know, I would ditch the BA6110. It sounds great but THT kind of defeats the purpose. I´d consider replacing it with LM13700 or CA3080 in SOIC format.

http://www.retroamplis.com/CA3080-SM

Plus, unless the Ba is to be soldered directly, without a socket, and its pins bent so that it will sit in parallel to the board, there might not be enough clearance due to the external components sitting very close to the voice chips.
Or at least place it on top, or vertically like I did in my prototype.

A more serious drawback with this design that prevents it from being used plug and play style is the pesky PNP transistor connected to pin 2. The SSM2044 already has one on-chip, so the PNP in the voiceboard must be bypassed, otherwise the resonance won´t work.

Unless there´s a way to revert the control voltage signal back to the value at R107, this 80017a replacement is deemed permanent.
aluedt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mooger5 wrote:
Uli, is that you? Smile

Seriously, very nice Very Happy

You know, I would ditch the BA6110. It sounds great but THT kind of defeats the purpose. I´d consider replacing it with LM13700 or CA3080 in SOIC format.

http://www.retroamplis.com/CA3080-SM

Plus, unless the Ba is to be soldered directly, without a socket, and its pins bent so that it will sit in parallel to the board, there might not be enough clearance due to the external components sitting very close to the voice chips.
Or at least place it on top, or vertically like I did in my prototype.

A more serious drawback with this design that prevents it from being used plug and play style is the pesky PNP transistor connected to pin 2. The SSM2044 already has one on-chip, so the PNP in the voiceboard must be bypassed, otherwise the resonance won´t work.

Unless there´s a way to revert the control voltage signal back to the value at R107, this 80017a replacement is deemed permanent.

Hey Mooger5,

regarding the above transistor TR18 I have a question for clarification. Is it sufficient to bridge the collector emitter or is it better to unsolder the transistor?

We're testing currently testing to build replacement chips for our Juno 106 here (see attached photos). If anyone is interested, feel free to get in touch.

Cheers
--Andree

photo_2018-03-04_15-30-01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  237.09 KB
 Viewed:  337 Time(s)

photo_2018-03-04_15-30-01.jpg

photo_2018-03-04_15-30-10.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  259.92 KB
 Viewed:  320 Time(s)

photo_2018-03-04_15-30-10.jpg

photo_2018-03-06_19-16-32.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.48 KB
 Viewed:  363 Time(s)

photo_2018-03-06_19-16-32.jpg

photo_2018-03-08_22-58-48.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.59 KB
 Viewed:  337 Time(s)

photo_2018-03-08_22-58-48.jpg

Mooger5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

aluedt wrote:

regarding the above transistor TR18 I have a question for clarification. Is it sufficient to bridge the collector emitter or is it better to unsolder the transistor?

We're testing currently testing to build replacement chips for our Juno 106 here (see attached photos). If anyone is interested, feel free to get in touch.

Cheers
--Andree

Very neat.
I´d say it´s better to remove the transistor (and bridge the E and C solder pads).

Cheers!
radek tymecki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am quite interested in Your layouts. Did u test them>?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 3 [75 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: