electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
How to add harmonics BELOW the fundamental frequency?
Page 3 of 3 [58 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
sheridan

Audio files: 27
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jason wrote:
right on Sheridan on the RAID.... I am planning the same when I can manage to do so.

One tip for you my friend... trying to do a fresh install to a RAID array is a bit of a pig if you have no other drives installed, but that's another topic for another forum methinks. Very Happy (And make sure you have drivers on a floppy disk too!!)

Hear music and Nord Modular G2 patches and find out music production tips at
http://www.nitetimeproductions.co.uk
Jason

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Indeed Sheridan I know.... I just helped buddy do it.
Them RAID drivers can be a headache....
Driver integration using tools like nlite seem real popular....
Does it all auto-
gah your right way seperate topic... LOL
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jason wrote:
Hint: Some might think that a harmonic’s phase is not perceptible, but this is incorrect. Although the phase is less audible then the amplitude, a change of a harmonic’s phase with a complex waveform can be clearly noticed in the sound..'

This in a sense was the main downfall of the Kawai K5000 synth. Sure you could add 64 harmonics together X 6 per patch, but with the phase of each sine locked into 0 degrees you can only do so much.

Sheridan, reaching for the EQ to add bottom end is in my experience not very useful. Better would be to highpass the instrument and layer with a really low filtered bass patch. Then you can tune the bottom end to your hearts content without mangling the rest of the sound.
KarmanHardon

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
g2ian wrote:
I read somewhere that a vibrating speaker cone can sometimes add subharmonics. Maybe this is why miking a synth through an amp and speaker is/was popular.

Well, yes.. but in the case of bass there will be artifacts.. which can be quite cool. Anyways, recording off loudspeakers is a huge field and great fun. I do this a lot still. If you need a mellotron or an MS.20 style sound coming out of a Randall paper coned amp thingie.. then there is nothing like the real thing.

*snaps fingers and points at the screen*

Hm ...ok cool... I'm going to try things... The "miking a speaker" trick is interesting.

I just searched the forum for "subharmonic" because I want recreate...

My friend recorded his live set (techno) both directly and through two microphones in the bar. When we layered the live room sound with the "direct" sound, we immediately noticed some extreme enhancement of the original bass (drum, notably). Incredibly rich and deep. However, the room sound does not contain that much bass itself, at least not as much as it seems to add to the original one. It actually sounds like some lower bass was added.

Also, his monitors (Yamaha HS80's, no subwoofer) didn't seem to work that hard to create such a huge impression of bass. Huge. The effect is very close to what I often look for when I mix and eq.
Anyone care to tell me what is happening?... or point me to an article...?
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You guys basically added some room ambience and room artifacts.
Good work! Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And you just noticed that it is possible to record the "sound of loud".
Cool

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
sheridan

Audio files: 27
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

... or as Phil Spector called it, 'the wall of sound'. Very Happy

Hear music and Nord Modular G2 patches and find out music production tips at
http://www.nitetimeproductions.co.uk
RecklessGint

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: LOL @ PAST ME Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I realize this thread is years old but I can't resist posting this:

Oh my GODS I was so much more autistic-like when I was younger, even just 6 years ago. Wow.

Obviously I was hyperfocused on the title of the thread, unable to get past that and see the obvious question at hand: "How can I beef up my sound in the bass region, perhaps by adding some musical sounds with a pitch LOWER than that of the my actual bass's fundamental frequencies, while still having the bass notes remain the predominant bass notes in the overall sound?"

Just had to say that now that I stumbled upon this old thread. Eating crow. Yummy. Cool
Page 3 of 3 [58 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: