electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Seq-y pattern generator project
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 3 [66 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vtl5c3 wrote:
Finished my first iteration of this dual pattern generator. I replaced the simple diode inputs with the input comparator (X4) that Ken Stone designed for his Gated Comparator, since it's nice and flexible. This way I can clock each pattern generator off any input signal, not limited to pulses. The comparator has additional offset inputs, so you can create quite complex timing variations if you voltages going into all eight inputs.

[Edit]

Am adding my PCB layout. This has been tested. Includes the comparator (x2) as found here: http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs13_gated_comparator.html In the schematic, it's the circuit at the top left that connects to pin 7 of the CD4015

vtl...

thanks for posting the PCB... any chance you could add a schemo? i'm not 100% sure i'm following all your modifications, but i'm sure a circuit diagram would clear it all up... a pictures worth 1039.7 words (approx.)...

bbob
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bugbrand wrote:
Hey, sorry I didn't get a chance to chip in before but I'm damn excited to hear about how people run with these ideas. And nice nice work VTL for posting the pcb! Hooray!

Much appreciation to VTL as well, for posting that layout! It saved my having to spend the extra time to figure it out myself, as well. Smile Appreciation also for inclusion of the Comparator section from another of Ken Stone's modules. Smile

Quote:

I gotta say that some of my design came down to thinking about how big I wanted the module to be and, therefore, how many panel controls I could use... hehe! And I tried to make it all quickly rather than thinking about all the possibilites. Designers, eh?! Some of the ideas used on the Klee may actually be quite interesting too...

Ah well.... looking forward to hearing and seeing your developments.
Good luck!

Shocked Based on my own past experiences - a note of warning to others out there, that do your own PCB layouts / designs, has just been typed below Shocked

Oddly enough - whilst falling asleep last night, watching ultra-chef Gordon Ramsay's show "Kitchen Nightmares" and marvelling again at his example of how many restaurants approach failure by going for things that are TOO fancy - and how most of those that he helps out, by bringing them back to SIMPLE dishes and fair made me realize, BIG TIME:

In my building past - panels / modules that I have had fail, were usually overboard in extra features and complexities. Here in the past couple of days, I've been adding feature after feature, to a new panel, in design.
With the amount of work that goes into a multiple module panel (as I'm restricted to, by using wooden panels) - the more complex that I make it, the greater my chances are, of having failures.

Whilst I'm still in the process of laying out all of the module's circuitry traces / etc. on the PCB, I'm going to wander back to the Design section of my webpage and think it all out in typing - to come to a simpler solution, to try and steer myself away from potential failure.

(edit) The Design section of my webpage has the overall plan updated. Off to finishing the PCB. Very Happy
moosapotamus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rykhaard wrote:
In my building past - panels / modules that I have had fail, were usually overboard in extra features and complexities.

I can relate to that... The enemy of 'good' is 'better'.

~ Charlie

andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

made this one today - original bugbrand version! Thanks for sharing!
it is a lovely( Wink ) design = a lot of fun for little effort or expense.
i will be making a few more of these.

i can see the advantages of comparators on the inputs and perhaps glide on the output, but i've already got plenty of logic modules, CV processors and whatall, so no need for me.
bugbrand

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Andrew --- freaking ace! Show us a pic! And mp3s?!
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bugbrand wrote:
Andrew --- freaking ace! Show us a pic! And mp3s?!

guess you'd rather see a panel but I'm about 15 modules behind with panel building - nevertheless here's the circuit.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

this is such a good design for new DIYers or small systems. easy to build and a lot of fun sounds to make. again, Thanks Bugbrand! thumleft
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was finally after working on it all week, hoping to have my 1st of 2 Pattern Generators up and running for testing today. (With the Ken Stone / vtl comparator addition and my NAND Gates input addition / replacement).

This time - I thought "Let's shoot on video, the 1st power on - just in case it blows up!"

Sure enough - the 22R protection resistor on my +V power input, let out the Magic Smoke. Uh oh. Shocked Even though I had tested for power supply shorts first, something's wrong. Time to go and bug solve. Smile I'll be posting the nararrated video at my website, tomorrow morning - for anyone interested. Smile

Minor update: 30 min. later: Ground to the CD4052 was not soldered; center connection to 2nd Comparator's Voltage amount pot, not soldered.

Powered up - Comparator #1 / NAND Gate # 1 - working beautifully.
Hooked up first cable to Comp. #2 and Magic Smoke came out of the new +V input resistor. Bug solving tomorrow. Off to work.

Impressed SO far with #1 working though! Very Happy
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok! I THINK I have found the solution as to WHY my 1st of 2 Pattern Generators has released Magic Smoke, twice! Very Happy

Now - I am still lacking on theory a fair bit. My biggest trouble is not having yet found, an explanation to the Kirschoff Law (of resistance?) that I can wrap around my head. I understand most other theory BASICs though, in my self-taught electronics knowledge.

I've posted my analysis of the problem in the Design section of my modular synth's webpage. http://deathlehem.com/wsb4569662402/design.html
Could those of you, with far more knowledge than I - tell me whether my realization / find that I typed about, is correct? I'm just about to do the (hopeful) fix now and see whether the Pattern Generator works, as it should. Smile

The video that I shot yesterday of the first Magic Smoke release, is also up there for any that would like to watch it. Not that exciting, but I'll be videoing every first power up for a new module, from now on, for my own history purposes. Smile

Thank you greatly for any help!! I'm still learning. Embarassed

(edit) 1:42pm - Oooooo. Sorry about that! I had NOT posted my webpage edit, WITH my analysis until NOW - with my Magic Smoke #3 addition to it. Duh on my part.
(edit) 6:50pm Sunday. 98% of Pattern Generator #1 (with Ken Scott Comparator) is working. Odd trouble that I may find out tomorrow, but it IS working. I'll have video up on my site and/or here, once I get at least the 2nd one up and running. Smile
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wednesday - Ooops. Sorry for posting the request below this, yesterday. I've found my PCB error, causing the 350+ milliamp current draw into my board with the 2 Pattern Generators. That problem, after 6 days is finally solved. Smile

-----
Tuesday -
I've just started testing my 2nd one - Magic Smoke again - and measuring the current draw, I'm looking at (get this) 375 milliamps of current draw on my meter! (Over 5 watts of power, through a 1/4 watt resistor. No wonder it cooks. Shocked )

Thanks for any help. Smile
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject:  Video of my 2 Pattern Generator's is up at my site! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've just posted a short 1 minute video in the Design section at my website showing the 1st of 2 x Divide By 7 Counters (with an LED and Output for each of it's 7 bits), driving both the comparators of each of my 2 x BugBrand Pattern Generators.

15 LEDs happily blinking away! Very Happy

It's a simple test of all 3 modules with simple audio as well.

To finish this panel, I have yet to attach everything for:

- the 2nd Divide By 7 Counter with Outputs and LEDs
- 3 Clocks (each driving 1 colour of a tri-colour LED)
- 1 x 3 input non-inverting Summer with built in Slew, for softening the edges of anything input into it.

Once the next 5 modules are completed, I'll then take the panel apart, stain and polyurethane it and it'll be completed. Smile

Many MANY thanks to Tom Bugs for his Pattern Generator and vtl3 for his Comparator addition to it! Tons of wonderful audio hell and audio beauty shall in part be created with these 2 little buggers. Very Happy
drapdap

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: very Bead Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello

excuse both my english and my ignorance!
theres something called "Bead" on vtl5c3's layout. its just a piece of wire, connecting the to holes, right?

robert
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The bead on vtl's layout is either a Ferrite bead; 10 to 22 ohm resistor or a piece of wire.
I myself have been using a 22 ohm resistor for +V and -V power supply inputs for about 18 months now. They have saved me from blowing MANY fuses, in that time. Smile
drapdap

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah, ok, thanks a lot!

i just did not know the term "bead" - my bad.
just etched a pcb (i still work in acid), soldiering the resistors now.
somehow this smells like a classic. Smile

robert
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heh. MY bad, was not having thought of it before and all of the fuses that I'd blown before I'd added them to every single module. Wink

I was so impressed by the video from Tom Bugs' 1st one, I had to build 2. Smile Very very glad that I did!!

Now I'm pondering doing a 1V/octave modification to one of them. lol Very Happy
drapdap

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes, i saw that too, it bit me, and it was something i really needed anyways,
thanks for all of you guys here, it's wonderful stuff!
also put a twins down into the acid, luckily my modular is way out of the standard
european size (doepfer that is, is eurorack the name?) i hope everything will fit somehow.

took a peak of Damian, so terrific, congrats! Twisted Evil

robert
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Being on dial-up, I haven't had a chance to listen to the Seq-y samples yet on YouTube. Where I'm not on dial-up, YouTube is blocked by a certain firewall.

However, the firewall doesn't mind WMA's Twisted Evil

So I was able to check out this flick of DAMIAN in action:

Quote:
Though not very many people are into Noise Genres, I do have a video of myself working with the 4 axii controller only, controlling 3 VCOs and VCF Cutoff as well as LFO amounts - up in the My Tunes section of my personal webpage: http://www.rykhaard.com/mytunes.html

That quote is from this thread:

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-20394.html

It's pretty good stuff - I *really* like what begins right around the 8 minute mark or so (IIRC).

Cheers,
Scott

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Being on dial-up, I haven't had a chance to listen to the Seq-y samples yet on YouTube. Where I'm not on dial-up, YouTube is blocked by a certain firewall.

However, the firewall doesn't mind WMA's Twisted Evil

So I was able to check out this flick of DAMIAN in action:

I just use XP's Movie Maker to convert videos from my cameras to it's stock mode. Seeing as how you're able to play IT, I'll continue to stick with it! Twisted Evil Laughing

Quote:

Quote:
Though not very many people are into Noise Genres, I do have a video of myself working with the 4 axii controller only, controlling 3 VCOs and VCF Cutoff as well as LFO amounts - up in the My Tunes section of my personal webpage: http://www.rykhaard.com/mytunes.html

That quote is from this thread:

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-20394.html

It's pretty good stuff - I *really* like what begins right around the 8 minute mark or so (IIRC).

Cheers,
Scott

Thankee very much Scott! Rarely hear anything on a Noise tune and rarer still, any sort of compliment! Embarassed

Now I just guesstimated the positiion of the 8 minute mark. (Just past 1/2 way through the 14 minutes of it). Was that the HIGH resonance percussion part, with more resonance after it?

If so - that was me manually tapping the control surface of the Korg Kaoss Pad on it's Filter w/ Feedback setting. Smile

More noise video's'll be coming soon, after I complete my current panel, I'm building. Very Happy Evil or Very Mad Possibly Atmospheric as well, sometime after. Smile
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject:  A new Pattern Generator video posted Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I shot a new video on Tuesday after finishing the hookup of my 3 x Clocks and Slewing Summer in my current panel. It's about 6 1/2 minutes long and nararrated throughout - hopefully coming across with a decent idea as to what I'm doing with the modules in the panel. Smile
The modules are only controlling an unneffected single VCO, to get the idea across. The power potential from Tom Bugs' Pattern Generator combined with the power of Ken Stone's Master Divider and other modules - is almost overwhelming. Shocked
Here's a pic from the beginning of the video, as well as a direct link to it.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

The modules used in the video include:

- 2 x Pattern Generators
- 1 x Divide By 7 Divider
- 2 x Clocks

I HIGHLY recommend building Ken Stone's Master Divider. With the original one I'd built in 2006, I hooked 3 of it's bits up to drum sounds, to use it as a simple drum machine. Smile

The http://deathlehem.com/wsb4569662402/design.html - 6 1/2 minute video. Enjoy. Smile
bugbrand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Ryk nice work and your video made me smile - and laugh a few times:: 'hope you don't mind me smoking' 'come on change' 'oops hooked up the wrong output' hehe! Yeah rocking approach.

I'm thinking that your divider is more like a 2/4/8/16/32/64/128 than divide by 7, right? Certainly looks like that anyways & i could see why you'd maybe call this a divide by 7. Yeah, its def. a good module to have but I reckon you'll get even more excited by Ken's Pulse Divider which does do the 2/3/4/5/6/7/8 divisions -- I freaking love this because it gets you out of the straight'n'standard 16 length rhythms and gets all sorts of seemingly ever-evolving patterns generated when you make use of the 3/5/7s - mmm polyrhythms!

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bugbrand wrote:
Hey Ryk nice work and your video made me smile - and laugh a few times:: 'hope you don't mind me smoking' 'come on change' 'oops hooked up the wrong output' hehe! Yeah rocking approach.

Haha! I were just being me! Thank you very muchlee as well! And thank YOU for coming UP with the Pattern Generator! I'm just ACHING to do a 1V/oct. mod. for it, as well! Very Happy

Quote:

I'm thinking that your divider is more like a 2/4/8/16/32/64/128 than divide by 7, right? Certainly looks like that anyways & i could see why you'd maybe call this a divide by 7.

True. When I had built the 1st one, with my 1st 1V/oct. sequencer attempt, I immediately saw how useful it is for doing things at different timings, as well as combining outputs through NAND Gates for different functions. With a sequencer, it's hugely useful as well. (More on that below).

I actually DON'T have a permanent name for it yet. I sorta stuck with Ken's Divider portion from his Master Divider.

Quote:

Yeah, its def. a good module to have but I reckon you'll get even more excited by Ken's Pulse Divider which does do the 2/3/4/5/6/7/8 divisions -- I freaking love this because it gets you out of the straight'n'standard 16 length rhythms and gets all sorts of seemingly ever-evolving patterns generated when you make use of the 3/5/7s - mmm polyrhythms!

Wha'??? Shocked That module DOES work that way????? I've been wanting to do Frank Zappa'ish polyrhythms for YEARS! I'm going to have to go and look at his schematic. If it's easy, I'll just lay it out myself. If not, I'll order one. Smile Thank you greatly for that tip!

The 2nd Divider will be finished tomorrow morning. If it's bug free, I hope to set up a simple hook up with a drum pattern and 1 Patt.Gen. playing a 'bassline', whilst the other noodles away. Once done - I'll shoot a video of it as well. Smile

1V/Oct. Sequencer and Drum Sequencer plans are just about pouring out of my mind. I hope to start prototyping this weekend, if possible. Once I have something working, I'll be posting all of it to my webpage as well, for any others that may be interested. Smile
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just finished building this dual pattern generator.

Tom's circuit twice with a dual Ken Stone design LM358 'front end' from his Pulse Generator so I can clock it with anything that moves Twisted Evil

I didn't have room on the panel for each side to have dual OR gates, so I OR'd the first input on each side, and used just a single input for the second bit.

Thanks for the circuit Bugs! Cool stuff.

bruce

BugseqSide.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  367.06 KB
 Viewed:  120 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

BugseqSide.jpg

janvanvolt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So here i am, also finished my (preliminary) bug pattern generator. After exchanging the CD4052 (which was D.O.A) the unit works as expected.
Some photos for your enjoyment ... off now to design the frontpanel for this thingie.

pcb1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  131.88 KB
 Viewed:  7251 Time(s)

pcb1.jpg

panel.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.81 KB
 Viewed:  7252 Time(s)

panel.jpg

julianw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: My first modification idea Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just populated a dual version of the PCB posted here by vtl, slightly modded pcb below, its just two pcbs stuck together with common power for both.

How would I change the design for NAND and NOR functionality?

Rykhaard wrote:
After a few hours of thought on modifications for the pattern generator of yours, I just came up with this idea:

Seeing that you've built a wonderful dual unit, with both of them controlled by the same 2 logic inputs, I'm going to build a dual unit as well, with this change though:

Patt.Gen. #1's 4 outputs will be controlled by the 2 NOR inputs:

1 = 0 _ 2 = 0 _ Out = 0 (Output the 1st input)
1 = 0 _ 2 = 1 _ Out = 1 (Output the 2nd input)
1 = 1 _ 2 = 0 _ Out = 1 (Output the 3rd input)
1 = 1 _ 2 = 1 _ Out = 1 (Output the 4th input)

Patt.Gen #2's 4 output will be controlled by the 2 NAND inputs:

1 = 0 _ 2 = 0 _ Out = 1 (Output the 4th input)
1 = 0 _ 2 = 1 _ Out = 0 (Output the 3rd input)
1 = 1 _ 2 = 0 _ Out = 0 (Output the 2nd input)
1 = 1 _ 2 = 1 _ Out = 0 (Output the 1st input)

Having the 2 Patt.Gen.'s opposing each other, in which output is selected would allow you to:

- send different CVs to VCAs for stereo control of audio
- send different CVs to VCAs for ampitude control of audio to change a sound depending on which inputs are HIGH
- many other possibilities

Taking this a step further - go with a CD4051 giving you 3 bits of control, over which of 8 inputs for each of 2 x CD4051's are sent to their respective outputs.

Time to start laying out a circuit for this on copper. (Of course, I'll be adding the other's recommendations of input buffering for the control bits.)

Again - a wonderful module idea from you, Bug! Very Happy

(edit) P.S. Oh yeah! I just remembered another addition to it: Portamento for each of the outputs. Smile

dual_bugbrand2_151.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.19 KB
 Viewed:  120 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

dual_bugbrand2_151.gif

vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think for NOR functionality, you'd simply need to add an inverter to one of the clock inputs, since they're already doing the OR thing. Not sure about the AND thing. I'm guessing there's a few different ways to do it.
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Man - That pcb looks clean compared to my perfboard version - nice job.

A quick update on mine - after playing with it a bit, I pulled the "OR" input and added Ken Stone's Gate to Trigger converter to each side of the module. I think it's a nice addition and I already have a module elsewhere in my system to do OR's, NOR's and AND's and NAND's.

Bruce
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 3 [66 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: