electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
frequency shifter
Page 2 of 23 [574 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 21, 22, 23 Next
The Alison Project

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YES
The Alison Project

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW I would also buy pcbs for the 'Interpolating Scanner' and the 'Storm Tide Flanger', actually bought all parts for the flanger earlier in the year but it did not go much further than that.
Fernando

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Count me in too for the Freq Shifter.
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject:
Subject description: oh boy
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd be in for one as well
fiveman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: frequency shifter Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes,a pair for me. Perhaps you might want to set up a paypal request for payment queue, so when they are ready you just send an email that has a payment link. It's really helpful for everybody, you get paid right away and find out your inventory right away and you can sort out who is serous immediately. People who are too busy to constantly monitor lists but still are your fans or want to support you or who want to stay on top of things have a one step solution and don't miss out on things.
shawn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm saying yes as well.
toppobrillo

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yo count me in too Cool maybe if i have the boards i will get around to actually building one of these instead of 'planning on it' for um....... 2 years now???

maybe if i could just not have a job for a year or so.... Oh, Jurgen [big fan of your stuff BTW] what are the dimensions of these boards? forgive me if you have already said.

Thanks,

Josh
jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

topp wrote:
what are the dimensions of these boards?

I don't know yet.
This is something I merely started to make a pcb.
We all want it to be much smaller than the original Veroboard version, don't we?
So far, I have the triangle quadrature thru zero QVCO part in RIMU (my layout program), and it is, complete with all CV processing etc, just 140mm x 42mm in size, which IMO is promising. Very Happy
I think I'll keep it all combined under to Eurocards (Eurocard = 160mm x 100mmm). I've not decided yet on how many PCBs I'll distribute the whole circuit. Maybe I'll make one each for QVCO, modulators, Compander and dome filter. Maybe I'll try to distribute it to two standard Eurocards. Or make one big PCB for everything.
The latter needs less wiring, but the former can be adapted more easily to different form factors of the module or enclosure.

Please be aware that on this project, we're still far from anything being available. It's the *next* project, after the Tau Phaser - I've just started a *little* to bridge the time until the Phaser proto pcb arrives. Smile

JH. (who, after all these times of instant reward from veroboard building, must learn to think in pipelines ...)

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
Coriolis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi JH, got any soundsamples of this thing?
Does it sound anything like this:

http://www.encoreelectronics.com/cont_fs1.html

C
jhaible

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Coriolis wrote:
Hi JH, got any soundsamples of this thing?
Does it sound anything like this:

http://www.encoreelectronics.com/cont_fs1.html

C

It's quite similar. (I think the Encore uses a digital Q-Oscillator, though.)

Example of my FS-1:

http://jhaible.heim.at/mp3/jh_ber_1.mp3

http://jhaible.heim.at/mp3/jh_ber_2.mp3

Two sniplets from a CS-50 solo performance thru FS-1

http://www.cyndustries.com/entries/destabilisation_cyndustries_contest.mp3

The bell-like sounds at the beginning are Yamaha CS-50 thru the frequency shifter - and the noise end is PolyKorg Clone (basically a PS-3200) thru frequency shifter. (The rest of the piece ... well ... dark sarcasm alert.)

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
Coriolis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you, nice sounds!
I think the FS is something I would have a difficult time putting together, but it sounds too interesting to pass by.

Sign me up for a board, then!

C
jhaible

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Coriolis wrote:
Thank you, nice sounds!
I think the FS is something I would have a difficult time putting together, but it sounds too interesting to pass by.

Sign me up for a board, then!

C

It's definitely not an easy project, because it needs a lot of adjustment and/or component selection.
You'll need a scope (a cheap 20MHz scope will do), and a good multimeter that can measure capacitors, at least.
I figure it might _work_ without this fine tuning, somehow; but it would have a strong carrier bleedthru.

JH.

Rectangular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been wanting to make one of these for a long time. had you never proposed a PCB on sale, I'd have probably tried to make one based on the designs from your site.

I'm definitely in, I vote for the entire layout being on a single board, it saves a lot of wiring hassle, and makes for a much cleaner module, overall.
Usine Karate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I write to confirm my interest in a board!
toppobrillo

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if there's a vote, i'd have to cast mine for separate PCBs, as so many of us use different styles of panels and enclosures.

josh
jhaible

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

I'm definitely in, I vote for the entire layout being on a single board, it saves a lot of wiring hassle, and makes for a much cleaner module, overall.

Quote:

if there's a vote, i'd have to cast mine for separate PCBs, as so many of us use different styles of panels and enclosures.

I'm glad somehow that there are conflicting wishes on this - makes it easier for me to just do what I'm going to do Razz .. which is: One Board with 160mm x 100mm, and one smaller board. Not much inter-board-wiring (much less than the wiring to pots and switches, which you need anyway).

I have started with the Quadrature Thru-Zero VCO (the modulation oscillator), and was surprised how compact this can be.
Then I added the ring modulators with all their trimpots, and the expancer sections (stereo) of the noise reduction circuits, and I have barely filled a Eurocard (160mm * 100mm) format!

I'm reluctant to make the board bigger than that (prototype costs would rise dramatically, and I don't know how many I'll sell of this; it's a very demanding project, adjustment-wise), so there will be a second board, considerably smaller.

I hope you all appreciate my goal of making this as compact as possible. It takes much longer to design this way, and I hope I don't hear any complaints about the price per square inch when I offer this for sale. Wink

JH.

ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
[
It's definitely not an easy project, because it needs a lot of adjustment and/or component selection.
You'll need a scope (a cheap 20MHz scope will do), and a good multimeter that can measure capacitors, at least.
I figure it might _work_ without this fine tuning, somehow; but it would have a strong carrier bleedthru.
JH.

I was wondering if you might consider pre-selecting the components that need selection and including them in a kit with your PCB. I'm quite sure this is more work then you probably want to take on. But possibly you could sell the "kits" at a price that would fully compensate you for your time spent?

This could open up your project to many more less experienced DIY people. I was wondering if you thought that this might be feasible?
funkyfarm

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep !

I'm back, and as most of us, I was waiting for this topic for a long time.

Two more compact ones for france !

(fonik, you can delete the last MP I've sent Cool )
tomcat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Im in for a compact order of one! Very Happy
Funky40

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ericcoleridge wrote:
I was wondering if you might consider pre-selecting the components that need selection and including them in a kit with your PCB. I'm quite sure this is more work then you probably want to take on. But possibly you could sell the "kits" at a price that would fully compensate you for your time spent?

This could open up your project to many more less experienced DIY people. I was wondering if you thought that this might be feasible?

i understand the wish.
But beside that i think it is asked too much, i think it is impractical.
The trimimng has to be done anyway.

it is also for me not easy, but i take the challenge Smile
Component pre selection seems not to be that hard.
Accurate trimming maybe requires more Equipment
jhaible

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funky40 wrote:
it is also for me not easy, but i take the challenge Smile
Component pre selection seems not to be that hard.
Accurate trimming maybe requires more Equipment

You need a multimeter with capacitor measurement. If you invest 150 Euros in such a tool, that's still not much compared with what a commercial frequency shifter costs, and afterwards you still have the tool for future projects.

One benefit of my Frequency Shifter is that the compader works quite well, so you may get decent results even with less-than-perfect adjustment. There may be carrier bleedthru, or only partial rejection of the other, unwanted sideband, but it might partially be masked by the signal. But I have never really tried to make a Frequency Shifter with mismatched components. (But then again, I later noticed that the multimeter I used for selecting caps in my FS-1, 10 years ago, has only 2.5% accuracy .... well Embarassed ... but the error betweeen neigbouring cap values will be much smaller in practice.)

JH.

jhaible

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ericcoleridge wrote:

I actually think in such directions, too.
Not a "kit", but maybe a dome filter board pre-populated with the selected components? Selection takes a lot more time than soldering, so I wouldn't bother with giving directions where to place which component, and better put them into place already.
Or I could measure the caps, solder them in, and write down the corresponding resistor values on the board with permanent marker. Selecting resistors is the most time consuming part, because you need to combine two values to come close to a calculated value, but a good OhmMeter is part of every decent multimeter ...
Or instead of selectic two E24 values, you could simply buy the according E96 value (which will be different for every single board, depending on the caps.)

Thinking of it: Not even I stock E96 values, so for me a combination or two E24 vaues was the best solution. But if you have a list of 12 E96 values, you could probably afford to buy these in single quantity, dedicated for your board, from some mail order company.

Just thinking out loud - you'd still have to pay for my time measuring the caps and calculating the resistors, but that _might_ be affordable.

Just an idea.

(You'd still have to make all the other adjustments, with trimpots and an oscilloscope, of course.)

JH.

goldenechos

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you do some sort of kit, would you also be willing to offer JUST the board to those willing and able to select caps and R's themselves?

TR
jhaible

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

goldenechos wrote:
If you do some sort of kit, would you also be willing to offer JUST the board to those willing and able to select caps and R's themselves?

TR

Just boards is the main thing (right now, the only thing); everything else are just thoughts.

JH.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JH, have you considered using laser trimmed multipliers? IMHO, they are pretty fantastic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 2 of 23 [574 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 21, 22, 23 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: