electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
frequency shifter
Page 4 of 23 [574 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 21, 22, 23 Next
tomcat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
I'm not so good at mechanical stuff - you have to figure out a clever way to mount it behind the front panel of your choice. I was only talking about the board size, not about compatibility with (Euro) rack systems.

Two boards; one 160 * 100, one 160 * 45.

JH.

It would be nice if you can place some additional mounting holes in the main pcb, so the dome pcb can be piggypacked via studs and/or spacers. No need to go mechanical Wink
jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vtl5c3 wrote:
Juergen,

If someone wanted to build a stereo unit, they would simply need to buy two of each board, correct?

Romeo

One board (actually: one set of boards; see above) will be able to create dramatic moni in, stereo out effects.

If you want stereo in, stereo out, you need two sets of boards.

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
jhaible

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tomcat wrote:
jhaible wrote:
I'm not so good at mechanical stuff - you have to figure out a clever way to mount it behind the front panel of your choice. I was only talking about the board size, not about compatibility with (Euro) rack systems.

JH.

It would be nice if you can place some additional mounting holes in the main pcb, so the dome pcb can be piggypacked via studs and/or spacers. No need to go mechanical Wink

Good point. I'll see what I can do.

You'll probably want to include a copper shield between the boards then also., if you plan to make a tight stack.

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
chonald

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'd be interested.
jhaible

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:

ETA: that's not quite right; see below ...

JH.

I had intended to reuse thedome filter design I had made for the FS-2 (which then merged into the Matrix FX SSB modulator). But I've measured the dimensions again, and it's slightly smaller than the above.

Also, adding mounting holes inside the already layouted (and quite dense) area of the FS-1A's main PCB, just to stack the two PCBs, would be difficult.

So I came up with another (better, I think!) idea.

I can make a second board, which is also of full Euro size (160mm * 100mm).

This means:

(a) can be easily stacked with the main board

(b) can contain a lot of extra circuitry

(c) will probably only be marginally more expensive than a solution with two different sizes.

Here's some estra circuitry I've been thinking of:

(1) Have a Microphone preamp (like th eoriginal FS-1, but without a SSM2017, of course). You will want to run your voice thru this!

(2) Trimpots for the dome filter, as an option to selecting resistors and measuring cap values. (I need to find a good calibration routine for this; something like that must exist; the good old Bode frequency shifter had trimpots in the dome filter section, too.)
You will still be able to solder in selected resistors, instead of using trimpots, if you want to do this.

(3) Maybe a simple on-board LFO. (The original FS-1 had this; but I admit I rarely used it.)

(4) A power supply. You don't have to solder in the components for this if you don't need them; but if you build a stand-alone unit, it will be very handy.

(5) and for those who want to integrate it into their Modular system: Various PSU connectors for various modular brands.
We *need* +/-15V, so the +/-12V systems are not supported.
I would include the MOTM 4-pin connector. What else connectors are there? Please send me specifications (per email, not per PM) if you want a specific connector included.

Good idea?

JH.

Master of Circles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very good idea. I prefer a "Doepfer Bus" like system connector.
But I will run it with 15V.

It´s late, good night everyone.

Details coming soon (per mail)
Fernando

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

(a suggestions storm will start any minute... =:)

I think an (optional) modulation source could be useful.
But I'm not thinking in a plain LFO... I think that a noisy modulation could be useful to add some "natural random" around whatever modulation is being applied externally.
That would mean a noise generator and a 2 channel dc mixer (the noise must be scaled) so maybe there's place for the trimmers and/or for a nice .156 power connector.

A way of controlling the mod. noise amplitude dynamically could be very cool too (a very simple VCA out of two transistors or so)

just my 2 pesetas =:p

(I did lots of granular processing (= granulating acoustic sounds) on the computer time ago and being able to randomly shift the grains a tiny bit made the sounds alive)
_
Serenadi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi to all,

This is my first post, so let me introduce myself shortly (even if it is offtopic, sorry)

After a long hiatus doing electronics, I started 3 years ago building again an Modular, inspired by the Moogulator-Forum in Germany.
My first Modular was about 25 years ago : the Elektor Formant. I unforunately sold it in the early 90th. Rolling Eyes

If you like, you can take a look at my system here

Due to my poor english writing, please don't expect many posts.

@ Juergen Haible

Thank you for your great work and thank you very much for sharing it to the community.

I've built your MOTM440 and it is of course the greatest filter in my system. I expanded it a bit with a *pole-mixer* which gives great options for different characteristics like BP,HP,AP and so on.

You may take a look at this

I also ordered the Tauphaser board and can hardly expect building it.
Very great sound.

jhaible wrote:
I can make a second board, which is also of full Euro size (160mm * 100mm).

Thats a good idea, imho.

I would like to see a couple of inverters to expand the CV-Inputs.
I like it very much having the ability to select inverted and non-inverted CV at the inputs of a module, either with a switch, or a pot (left=inverted, middle=0, right=non inverted), like the Res-CV and CV2 at my 440.

Also I would like to have a Dotcom power connector.

A simple LFO may be a good choice, but hardly to place additionally on a standard width front panel when built as a module. Too much knobs Wink

As you see, I'm also very interested in your frequency shifter board.

Cheers,
Bernd
jhaible

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Serenadi wrote:
I would like to see a couple of inverters to expand the CV-Inputs.
I like it very much having the ability to select inverted and non-inverted CV at the inputs of a module, either with a switch, or a pot (left=inverted, middle=0, right=non inverted), like the Res-CV and CV2 at my 440.

A reversible attenuator is already part of the circuit for linear modulation.
12 o'clock position means no modulation, cw means upshift for positive CV (and downshift for negative CV), ccw means downshift for positive CV.

In addition to this, you have a dedicated switch for upshift or downshift for each of the two output channels. It's important to quickly invert the shift direction for one stereo channel for some dramatic effects, so you have switches here, in addition to the reversible attenuator.

The expo CV input has no reversible attenuator so far; so it may be a good idea to add a "free" inverting amp on the 2nd board.

Speaking of lin and expo control:

There is no either-or for this in my frequency shifter; you always have them both.

There are two pots for manual linear control: "Manual" and "Fine" which will do the coarse/fine tuning of the frequency shift in a bipolar fashion (12 o'clock position means zero shift).

And there are two pots for manual expo control: "Range" and "Tune", which will do the coarse and fine tuning in an exponential fashion.

All 4 of these pots are always working together to create the final amount (and direction) of frequency shift, so you have comfortable control of both, extremely wide sweeps, and extremely narrow sweeps (fractions of Hertz; important for "Barberpole Phasing").

In addition to these manual controls, there are a linear and an expo CV input: Linear CV with reversible attenuator, Expo CV with logarithmic potentiometer for attenuation.
Plus a dedicated 1V/Oct input (also exponential in nature); don't expect accurate tracking on more than 2 or 3 octaves, though.

Quote:

Also I would like to have a Dotcom power connector.

Do you have a link to the the mechanical specifications of this connector?

JH.

Serenadi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanx for your explanations.
Sounds good. Cool

jhaible wrote:
Do you have a link to the the mechanical specifications of this connector?

Of course,
It's an AMP MTA 100, 6pin Connector.
Grid is 2,54

HERE you'll find the description (*Internal Connectors*).

p.s. as you can see on the picture, pinout is seen from the right (pin1), pin 2 is removed, pin 6 is not connected.
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Serenadi wrote:
Hi to all,
This is my first post, so let me introduce myself shortly (even if it is offtopic, sorry)
After a long hiatus doing electronics, I started 3 years ago building again an Modular, inspired by the Moogulator-Forum in Germany.
My first Modular was about 25 years ago : the Elektor Formant. I unforunately sold it in the early 90th. Rolling Eyes
If you like, you can take a look at my system here
Due to my poor english writing, please don't expect many posts.

hallolo bernd,
so we meet again. nice to have you here! think you'll like it: many nice and friendly people. just what we need in these times...

StephenGiles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You are right, it is quite scary in the UK at the moment!
jhaible

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Main board design sent to Olimex for making a prototype!

Very Happy

JH.

toppobrillo

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cool Cool
Quad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sign me up for one set of boards please!
HPL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i want also 2 of this.
tomcat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dual Dome Filter to stack with two FS Mr. Green
jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tomcat wrote:
Dual Dome Filter to stack with two FS Mr. Green

Very Happy

JH.

HPL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nono more easily: 2 peoples wanna get shiftet Wink
jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update
Got email from Olimex last night.
Prototype PCB (main board only) is on its way to me. (usually takes a week)

JH.

tomcat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jürgen!

Maybe you can design a fancy Time Stopping circuit, so we can sit in a small time capsule to build all this nice projects without having stress with work, wifes and other things Mr. Green
StephenGiles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tomcat wrote:
Jürgen!

Maybe you can design a fancy Time Stopping circuit, so we can sit in a small time capsule to build all this nice projects without having stress with work, wifes and other things Mr. Green

Ideal weekend: get up, go straight to soldering room - still in pyjamas! Wife dutyfully brings cooked breakfast and sits with you, making encouraging comments about the current project, etc etc - what planet do I live on I say to myself!!! Perhaps if I spent a little less time on my PC I would have more time for building stuff - does it sound familiar?
StephenGiles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
Update
Got email from Olimex last night.
Prototype PCB (main board only) is on its way to me. (usually takes a week)

JH.

Interesting, I received some papers today which were posted in Syria on Monday! Perhaps they were accelerated over Iraq!!
psylux

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interested, pls add to list. Subscribe me on all your projects from here on out Smile
tomcat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

StephenGiles wrote:
tomcat wrote:
Jürgen!

Ideal weekend: get up, go straight to soldering room - still in pyjamas! Wife dutyfully brings cooked breakfast and sits with you, making encouraging comments about the current project, etc etc - what planet do I live on I say to myself!!! Perhaps if I spent a little less time on my PC I would have more time for building stuff - does it sound familiar?

Realistic weekend: try to get up, headache, mouth taste like $/§&$, think about the pcbs, getting finally up, looking on the watch, 6:30 pm, telephone rings ..."dude there is a party",.... Wink

Ok, back to topic Smile
Page 4 of 23 [574 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 21, 22, 23 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: