electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Discussion » Diversity in electro-music
'lectro ladies
Page 1 of 6 [128 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
bernat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject:  'lectro ladies
Subject description: a list
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A nice "historical" to contemporary list. I'm talking ed-u-ca-tional. The real life equivalent would be the Wikipedia topic summarized late at night. Let's get as obscure, pedantic, and disorganized as possible.

Wee!
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, I'll start with:

Laurie Anderson.

Obvious? So be it then. She is one of my favourite artists of any genre and time.

It's very easy for me to pick the three best concerts of my life; it's the ones from the tours around Mister Heartbreak, Home of the Brave and The Ugly one with the Jewels. Every one of them was completely mesmerizing. Leaving the venues, I might as well have walked straight into walls and light poles because my mind was wandering so Smile

Laurie Anderson is to me the Stanislaw Lem of electronic music. That is, operating on several planes at once, with a sharp intellect, thought provoking philosophy and commentary, irresistible humor - and not least, always musically innovative and interesting.

DJ
--
smokris

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
She is one of my favourite artists of any genre and time.

I'll second that. I am amazed with the prolificacy and thoroughness of her work.

I only discovered her a few years ago but was instantly addicted. After hearing "O Superman" in a composition seminar I was taking --- and soaking up the multiplanar 1980sness of it --- I remember sitting in the basement of my college library all night, listening to the five-LP recording of "United States Live" over and over on a forty-year old turntable. I then found the photo-book that went along with that piece... and needed to rearrange my life around it.
bbinkovitz

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Amy X Neuburg Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laurie Anderson was pretty hilarious on Space Ghost too.

Also, Amy X Neuburg! I mean, the woman has her own subforum!

I wasn't at electro the year she was, but I saw her at a TIMARA alumni thing at Oberlin and was really impressed by the awesomeness she can achieve with such a simple setup. I love stuff that combines organically generated sounds (voice, electro-acoustic instruments, pots and pans, etc.) with electronic manipulation for that other-worldly effect. Her lyrics really do it for me too, which I find unusual in electro genres (people tend to get carried away with swirly boo-wee noises and forget verbiage). Also I thought the pink drumsticks were a nice touch.
smokris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll add a third to our list of awesome one-woman-bands: Imogen Heap.

Imogen Heap live looping: http://youtube.com/watch?v=pSIbfzK2spg. Recommended.
Soundbrigade

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

(My very first post Embarassed ).
Keiko Kumagai of Japanese group Ars Nova.
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On the "pop" side:

Björk

Anne Dudley (although admittedly I am not familiar with her extra-Art of Noise activities)

/Stefan

bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:

Laurie Anderson is to me the Stanislaw Lem of electronic music.

Best simile ... ever!

Antimon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
DrJustice wrote:

Laurie Anderson is to me the Stanislaw Lem of electronic music.

Best simile ... ever!

Indeed - I'm also a fan of both.

/Stefan

Pehr

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
Björk

word!

http://www.garageband.com/artist/loxodrom
http://soundcloud.com/loxodrom
a.b.o.z.

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gustav, young austrian, with just wonderful debut album "rettet die wale", many compare her to bjork as well.
peaches, that crazy b..ch Very Happy
smokris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antye Greie. http://www.poemproducer.com/info.php

I randomly encountered her "laub - filesharing" album-collaboration in a pawn shop in Denver a few years ago. Minimal glitchy electro, minimal coverart, interesting texts. From Berlin and cooler than Berlin Cool.
discoco

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: 'lectro ladies
Subject description: women in electro

Well, women in anything is always something I am interested in.

All of the above I respect for what they have done (although I was only informed about Imogen Heap last week). For me, Peaches earlier work is probably the most discerning, lyrically and musically.

Coco Rosie is a band I really like the sound of at the moment -I'm off to see them tonight, and can't wait to see how they make all their sounds.
a.b.o.z.

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: 'lectro ladies
Subject description: women in electro

discoco wrote:

Coco Rosie is a band I really like the sound of at the moment -I'm off to see them tonight, and can't wait to see how they make all their sounds.
yeas they are really something.
I would like to mention Leila. That lovely down-tempo, trip-hop lady. Love her work. She also played with Bjork on some of many tours. Oh yes.
Antimon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Flicking through my record collection I found (side by side) Stereolab and Stereo Total (in common: french female fronting group members). Although I am more of a huge fan of the former than the latter, I think Musique Automatique is a very entertaining record.

I am tempted to mention Juana Molina, although her guitars are often more in the foreground than her electro noodling.

/Stefan

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laurie Spiegel stands out, to me, as one of those pioneers who've kind of worked out a space, and continually redefined it. Her music is very eclectic, she experiments, and she is prolific. She's been at it for a very long time, and I have always been listening, when she'd release stuff. I wish she'd let more of her stuff out, actually.

I bought her Music Mouse oh, many years ago. It's one of those things I lost when OSX came. I bought the video Tornadoes - The Entity for my kids and twigged onto the music, turns out Laurie Spiegel recorded a good chunk of it (this was 12 years ago now), I still think what she did was very different. Not very commercial, probably not very "popular" but I don't care about popular. I very much admire her for her contributions via the RCA she worked on. And her continual work with old electronics.

Now, not a lot of people actually heard Clara Rockmore, but there is a woman who made a big difference - I would argue that she showed the world that a theremin is an instrument which can be mastered.

And what about Cynthia Webster?

Home,My Studio,and another view
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:

I bought her Music Mouse oh, many years ago.

I got that too for Atari, a long time ago.

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dr J,

+1 on Laurie Anderson. I've trotted this horse out so many times, but...I got to see her in Lawrence, KS, on her Strange Angels tour. At the time William Burroughs was living there - he made an appearence and danced a waltz with Laurie on stage. We don't get stuff like that in Kansas too often.

She's got that ability to be all at once funny, thought provoking and moving. If nothing else, she and her music are mesmerising.

One thing I especially remember about that concert are her remarks concerning national anthems - about how some anthems are pretty, lilting homages to the country of origin, some are like "We're number one, la la la", and then the US national anthem, which is "It's kind of dark. What was that? Do you see something over there....?" Laughing

Cheers,
Scott

smokris

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
her remarks concerning national anthems - about how some anthems are pretty, lilting homages to the country of origin, some are like "We're number one, la la la", and then the US national anthem, which is "It's kind of dark. What was that? Do you see something over there....?" Laughing

-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cE6Pg2q3lI
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Miquette Giraudy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 275

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Delia Derbyshire

Daphne Oram

Suzanne Ciani

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I must mention Carla Scaletti. She is most known for co-developing the Kyma system, but to me she is more notable as a composer and musician. I've tried to get her to the electro-music events but no luck so far. She is brilliant.

http://www.carlascaletti.com/Main/HomePage

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Johan Zwart

Audio files: 19
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yesterday I came across this lady http://www.myspace.com/pamelazcomposer I was impressed

1266520957_m.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  104.61 KB
 Viewed:  37864 Time(s)

1266520957_m.gif

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Soundbrigade wrote:
(My very first post Embarassed ).
Keiko Kumagai of Japanese group Ars Nova.

Hey!

welcome to electro-music.com Keiko! Very Happy

get stuck in and have fun!

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
paisleythrone

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And let us not forget Pauline Oliveros:

http://www.deeplistening.org/pauline/

A formidable figure in EM history, she is currently scheduled to perform in my home country- New Zealand!

Page 1 of 6 [128 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Diversity in electro-music
Jump to: