electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
thru-zero VCOs
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 7 of 8 [184 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="Nosferatu"]
Peake wrote:
Quote:

This allowed for the choice between very predictable, hard sounds and more analog free-running sounds. Interesting when you mixed partials with reset on and off in a single sound.

Thats right, but its good for hard balls basses.

Exactly! I'd really like to see reset on this TZO for the same reason. I'll bet that even a single saw or square would make for great bass this way.

And thanks for the history on the feature, I didn't know any of that!

Speaking of great bass, I'd also like to request both positive and negative-going saw wave outputs, if possible. If not, an inverter is just as easy to use. Both types seem to "excite" filter resonance differently and are both useful as a result.
Randaleem

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:
I'd really like to see reset on this TZO for the same reason. I'd also like to request both positive and negative-going saw wave outputs, if possible.

Hi, Here's an update of the prelim TZO panel. The white part to the right is NOT an add-on board. it just shows what's available on the PCB that didn't fit in this layout. Not shown but provided for are 2 bipolar LED drivers.

You have variable soft to hard sync. The "reverse" jack is a separate hard sync. One could trade it for the square wave out (or any other waveform) if you were trying to stay in the small Frac panel size. The PCB provides for switched and/or extra jacks for AC/DC coupling of the FM inputs. Both saw and ramp waveforms are available.

There is a jack for the sum of all FM inputs labeled as Mod. out, and the FM VCA is now a 4 quadrant multiplier. The future add-on board will add quadrature outputs and some waveshaping... (BTW, I'm still interested in hearing about tri to sine to square waveshapers.)

I don't really think a ten turn pot for Freq. is necessary, but you can if you want!

I'd still like to hear about the available depth in your Euro and Frac cabinets? And I'd still like to see page four from EN75.

This is pretty likely the "final" default feature set of the initial TZO boards.

Please let me know what you think?

Kind Regards,

Randal

EN129 TZO prelim Frac.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.18 KB
 Viewed:  187 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

EN129 TZO prelim Frac.gif

Nosferatu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
And thanks for the history on the feature, I didn't know any of that!

Just my 5 cent of old and outdated knowledge that still occupy
a part in my brain.No idea why i cant clear things like that out!

Last edited by Nosferatu on Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave Kendall

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
So for the latest models TG77, SY77/99 they had osc phase restart and even phase start position as a programmable parameter.
However i don't remember if this was implemented in the DX7S, and DX7II

The DX7IID has an osc sync parameter, on or off. (per patch).

cheers,
Dave
Funky40

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

as anybody heard anything from Randal ?
was he at Namm ?

I'm looking forward for thru Zero VCOs in DIY.
Another small DIY Boards supllier mentioned in a mail that he has planned also a thru Zero VCO,
but that might take time as there are other things first to come.
funkyfarm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"as anybody heard anything from Randal ?

I'm looking forward for thru Zero VCOs in DIY", me too...
philpeery

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I emailed him directly asking the same question. I would kill for a bank of TZO's right now! I haven't heard back yet, so I am not sure if he's still in the game or not. Sure would be nice though, because his QFG pcb design is top notch!

Phil
numbernone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I may be the only one, but Randal owes me a bunch of VCA boards. Have not heard back in around 2 weeks now. The emails used to be long and filled with info and chat, the last was short and barely committal.

This is sad, as I think Randal is probably very qualified to be pulling off things like the TZO. I wish he had someone else handle the front end, taking orders and making sure they go out in a timely fashion. I still have great hope, first cuz I NEED VCAs BADLY, secondly because I really think the guy has a lot to offer.

Fingers crossed.
philpeery

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have you looked at the TH ASF21C ssm2164 based VCA yet? Fonik created a dual VCA press and peel single sided layout for it. I've mod'ed the layout a bit to match my power connection type (MOTM style MTA156), have etched a few, and am getting ready to test the board out. If the design is anything like TH's other designs, it ought to be a killer VCA!

Phil
numbernone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes I have, actually have a pretty much done layout for a quad. Its just that I have already doled the dough, and wanna get the Randal boards if I can (THEY WILL BE BETTER). I suppose I will want a couple dozen of them in the "end" so...
toppobrillo

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i don't want to spread too thin, but i already started a layout a while ago based on the EN-129 TZO, it's about 1/2 done. the amalgamation [sp?] i have has been spread out on 3 bread-boards for like 6 months now and i am anxious to build it.. knowing that i will want to build more than one and how big a project it is, it is much smarter to do a PCB. i don't know really where randal left off but i suppose if it is based on the 129 i should seek the same permission[s] as randal to do it. obviously there is alot of interest here.

one thing that i did with my prototype is set up a local +/-5V supply- the CMOS is powered off of this. the current draw is pretty evenly distributed between the + and - rail. i added sync- although it is not "vari-sync" as in the ZO. the Bias control is a 3-position switch, not a pot. there is range-switching, there is a switch that allows the Sawtooth to reverse or not reverse upon reversals. the linear FM input can be AC or DC coupled [i felt that was important with this] i used comparators where applicable. oh and i would like to include a variable waveshape output too- still experimenting with that one.

umm i think that's it basically it. it works really well i have tested it at some length [although i'm sure improvements could be made in terms of tracking and whatnot. i really need to borrow a good frequency counter and fine tune it as best i can]. it is in a box still since i moved cause i have been busy with other stuff, but it is scheduled to return to the worktable this weekend cuz i finally finished [not in a box yet] a project i was working on for my girlfriend, a really cool 'voice changer' with an instrument preamp, gain compensation, modulator and things.

aaannnyyywaaayssss

whaty'allthink?? maybe someone else who is into PCB design can help with
the remainders? should it all be on one board??

josh
toppobrillo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh by the way, what is up with "Nosferatu" deleting all his/her posts???
thats weird..
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

topp wrote:
thats weird..

It was quite a while ago already, but in short : he was unhappy with how the thread went, and I haven't seen him since.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

topp wrote:
obviously there is alot of interest here.

There sure is! Very Happy I bet everyone would like to see what you have come up with Smile

However, I should point out that since the QFG boards, new guidelines have been made - Fonik kindly being the architect of many of these. They just cover everybody's backs etc. Making sure that no one gets into any trouble.

But yes Josh, bring em on! Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
toppobrillo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
However, I should point out that since the QFG boards, new guidelines have been made - Fonik kindly being the architect of many of these. They just cover everybody's backs etc. Making sure that no one gets into any trouble.

i'm sorry, i don't know to what exactly you are referring here?

[/quote]
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

topp wrote:

i'm sorry, i don't know to what exactly you are referring here?

If you intend to do a run of new boards (which we'd/ I'd love you to do btw), then you need to email Scott Stites beforehand, and tell him your proposals. These are new electro-music.com DIY forum rules. Okay?

regards,

Tom Smile

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
If you intend to do a run of new boards (which we'd/ I'd love you to do btw), then you need to email Scott Stites beforehand, and tell him your proposals. These are new electro-music.com DIY forum rules. Okay?

Huh? I have to get permission before I make boards? If that's true, don't you think you should give us a link? scratch

Ian
toppobrillo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i guess i must have missed something- odd, too, cause i check in here almost daily. where did all this go down?

edit:
Quote:
since the QFG
the randaleem thing right? if there were official guidelines laid down, they were lost on me- all i saw was that Jan had made some clear recommendations to folks offering PCBs.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:

So all of you Ian's, JH's, Foniks, Mooseapatomi, etc. that have active PCB projects (or even inactive) that you would like to announce, list, or discontinue, please PM me.

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-20290.html

Very Happy

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

topp wrote:
i guess i must have missed something- odd, too, cause i check in here almost daily. where did all this go down?

edit:
Quote:
since the QFG
the randaleem thing right? if there were official guidelines laid down, they were lost on me- all i saw was that Jan had made some clear recommendations to folks offering PCBs.

sigh yes Sad

Yes It's still rather misleading. I read the sticky only. Yes I do remember that Jan said something- I'd simply forgotten- so I'm sorry for any misunderstanding caused.

RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

regards,

Tom Smile

'So all of you Ian's, JH's, Foniks, Mooseapatomi, etc. that have active PCB projects (or even inactive) that you would like to announce, list, or discontinue, please PM me. ' (Scott)

Umm - That looks like a suggestion for IF you want your project listed in the handy, easy to find PC Bard project thread. Not to get PERMISSION.

Guidelines are great - and a reasonable idea...but lets not get nuts.

"Mommy, Daddy....Can I make a Board"

bruce
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, it's true, it's true, though it's not really a mommy/daddy thing, but rather it's more of a kneel before the all-powerful maniacal-PCB-monarch moment.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

(of course I jest, knock yerself out on the PCBs - you don't need my permission. Just follow the em guidelines).

Cheerios,
Scott

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RF wrote:

"Mommy, Daddy....Can I make a Board"

¨Yes as long as you don't drink that caustic etchant like you did before. Those hospital bills ain't cheap y'know¨ Shocked Wink

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

topp wrote:
Jan had made some clear recommendations to folks offering PCBs.

I'm just the messenger here, we had quite some discussion behind the scenes about it before it was put up. So it's a reflection really of what all the "moms and dads" thought would be good for you Rolling Eyes ... so shoot us all please and not just "someone" Laughing.

Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you all should be applauded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 7 of 8 [184 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: