electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Blinded by the light
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Blinded by the light Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been reading "Handmade Electronic Music - The art of hardware hacking" by Nicolas Collins. I found it at the local library. Very experimental, light on theory, heavy with ideas I hadn't thought of.
The bit I'm reading at the moment is about getting audio signals into and out of mechanical modifiers by using piezo discs, motors, transformers etc. It's re-triggered my interest in a rack mount mini-slinky reverb.
I need to do some serious priority clarification. There are half baked ideas littering the lab and my mind, and I still can't actually use my ASM-2 or SoundLab or a couple of other things, cos they're not actually properly finished. Sometimes the sheer weight of creative ideas can be enough to smother any actual action and I end up feeling completely lost about what I should do next, or why I'm doing anything at all.
Does anyone else get this kind of effect?

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked That's uncanny, you just described my life in a nutshell (except my Soundlab has yet to be graced by a soldering iron and I don't have an ASM2).

The best way I have of overcoming the effect is to always leave something set up that will make noise, with the recorder always close by. That helps in a couple of ways - you can still make music at the drop of the hat, when the urge grips you, and it helps you to get to know the devices that are hooked up better; with everything else out of the picture, you're left to making something with those few devices.

Someday, all will be up and running, and all those pent-up musical juices will make a big mess on the floor Very Happy

Hmmm.....yuck.... Laughing

Cheers,
Scott

Dragon's Lair

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Join the club Andy, I have a computer full of circuit diagrams and pc board layouts, in various levels of completion, half a dozen etched boards, waiting to be populated, another half a dozen completed boards waiting for front panels, a cnc engraver that is half done (to make those front panels with), I still have to finish writing the program for my 8 step sequencer, and to top it off, I just received my ASM-2 board and parts from Laurie!

Why do I do this to myself? head banging monitor

I need a break beer
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes,....
Maybe it's time for beer.
I'll have to wait until I'm not working the next day.
Any of you guys want to come down to Oz for a big piss up BBQ next Tuesday night? We can rant about DIY synths and freeze our nuts off around the fire while drinking waaaaay toooo much. Laughing

Dragon's Lair

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aw, quit teasing us unc party time!

My nephew brought his 3 year old daughter over for a vist, she wouldn't say "great uncle dave" , so now I'm known as grunkle Shocked
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Any of you guys want to come down to Oz for a big piss up BBQ next Tuesday night? We can rant about DIY synths and freeze our nuts off around the fire while drinking waaaaay toooo much.

I'll hop in the jet and be right over Cool

Quote:
so now I'm known as grunkle

At least your not Drunkle Dave Wink

Dragon's Lair

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I'll hop in the jet and be right over

Detour north a bit, and pick me up on the way Very Happy

Quote:
At least your not Drunkle Dave

Only on friday nights Laughing .... oops, it is friday night Shocked
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: