electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Discussion » Diversity in electro-music
Minorities in electro
Page 3 of 3 [53 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Beermaster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Call me old fashioned but I think race and politics should have no place in music. Its a universal language without barriers.

People choose to be into a certain type of music or not. There are no laws against people choosing what they like to be involved with in music so if there are 'minorities' then thats the luck of the draw.

electro-music like almost all the music forums out there don't discriminate as to who can and can't join and be involved so there's no barrier there either

I'm sure that if you 'look' for problems in music then its always possible to 'find' one.

A friend of mine told me about a piece of feminist writing that condemned Beethoven's Fith Symphony as being the masculine rape of women with its strident 'erect' opening 3rds.....

One born every minute !
ar2jr

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, to me, race is a social construct. we, in effect, attach value to it, and define it for others. ethnicity on the other hand is predominantly a self assigned term/identity. I find the internet and these communities interesting, for it bypass the immediate physical aesthetic and goes straight to the 'information', which, in my opinion, is what we initially try to get to by means of communication but are often clouded or influenced by (positively or negatively or both or in-between)our past experiences, preferences, ... so on and so forth. But, to play devil's advocate, perhaps it is not just the raw information that is the delicious 'grease' of life. Perhaps we need the totality, including the negatives to be able to learn to transcend such pitfalls or low-level existence. Diversity then is beyond the scope of a forum, but the totality of a life experience. If such people exist then race is second to experience accumulated. And at the same time, race is an experience in itself.

-matia
Jyoti

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oooh, just noticed and ploughed through this thread!

As a brown person working in (predominantly) white genres of music for the last 26+ years, I've experienced racism many, many, many times in the music world. At gigs, from record labels, from the media, from other musicians, from live sound engineers.

When people pop up and say "what absolute piffle, there is no race / gender problem!" they generally turn out to be white, middle-class Tory blokes. Not really that surprising if they haven't experienced much prejudice there... Razz

When I was a kid at sixth-form college in '82, most of my black mates loved the same electronic music as me: Kraftwerk RULED. They went off into electro and hip hop, I went into a more pop-song-based (i.e., ripping-off Martin Gore) direction.

Interestingly, years ago I was lucky enough to have a chat with Daniel Miller (head of Mute Records). Like me, he saw electronic music as encompassing synthpop, trance, house, etc. *and* hip hop. He just viewed contemporary r'n'b and hip hop as (predominantly) black electronic music.

It's all very slippery though, innit? I mean, how do we even define what electronic music is, anyhow? Isn't every metal band that uses Pro Tools actually an electronic artist? After all, all they're doing is manipulating samples. And what about the lo-fi electro types who bang out tunes on crappy synths and cassette four-tracks? I would suggest they're more rock than all the Pro Tools rock bands...

So, anyway, good thread! Very Happy

Page 3 of 3 [53 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Diversity in electro-music
Jump to: