electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
TH-201 "Mankato" PCBs available
Page 7 of 7 [156 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
active

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Tim!

Do you happen to have any more of these floating around? would really like to pick one or two up!
jojjelito

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject:
Subject description: Circuit protection
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just read that the 2164 chip doesn't take kindly to disconnected negative supplies according to the Synth-DIY mailing list. This conditon must be rare since I've never heard of fried 2164 chips, but better play it safe.

"The SSM2164 exhibits a catastrophic failure mode when the V+ pin is powered and the V- pin is disconnected. The symptom is massive current flow into the V+ pin resulting in internal heating which, if not limited, results in destruction of the die". Neil Johnson and Oscar Salas presents more info about this and a very small mod involving a BAT85 diode that protects the IC here:
SSM2164 Power Rail Failure

Just add the single Schottky diode with its anode connected to the V- pin ( pin 9 ) and its cathode to Ground ( pin 8 ).

Edit: Or stick 1N5819 diodes where you would use normal 1N4002 or similar diodes for reverse polarity protection.
Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: TH-201 "Mankato" PCBs available Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Olga,

Yes, I followed that thread on SDIY with great interest. Some very interesting detective work by Oscar and some others. I've never seen this fault either, but I suppose that it could happen. On all Magic Smoke PCBs, I've included reverse polarity protection diodes, so adding this type of power supply fault protection is simply a matter of replacing the diodes at the DC Power input with 1N5819 Schottky diodes. I'll be updating the Mankato parts list to add these new parts (replacing the 1N4001 diodes currently listed).

Tim (defective detective) Servo
southcitypride

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyone have a ballpark idea of how much you spent on components for the mankato?
Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: TH-201 "Mankato" PCBs available
Subject description: Mankato parts price
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey South City,

I don't know the price off the top of my head, but the Mankato parts list has Mouser part numbers and so it wouldn't be too hard to come up with a ballpark figure. I've attached a copy here. I'll look to see if I have a copy with prices on it, but I don't know where it is right now. I'll shout out if I find it.

Tim (the price is right) Servo

TH-201-04_Parts_List.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  TH-201-04_Parts_List.pdf
 Filesize:  73.2 KB
 Downloaded:  371 Time(s)

southcitypride

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, must have missed it somehow. Looks to be about $70+shipping if you were only getting the minimum amount of parts for this. Not as bad as I'd expected.
Page 7 of 7 [156 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: