electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
TH-201 "Mankato" PCBs available
Page 3 of 7 [156 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
etaoin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: TH-201 "Mankato" PCBs available
Subject description: Polystyrene caps
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Next best choice would probably be polyester, and then mylar or other "film" caps. Worst would be ceramic.

Shouldn't polypropylene be somewhere between polystyrene and polyester as well? I've seen those recommended as par to polystyrene for VCO timing caps. I have one in both my CGS VCO and ASM 'ultra' VCO. Ray Wilson uses silver mica in his VCO.

And why do I have so many different VCOs?

Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: TH-201 "Mankato" PCBs available
Subject description: Polystyrene caps

Etaoin wrote:
Quote:
Next best choice would probably be polyester, and then mylar or other "film" caps. Worst would be ceramic.

Shouldn't polypropylene be somewhere between polystyrene and polyester as well? I've seen those recommended as par to polystyrene for VCO timing caps. I have one in both my CGS VCO and ASM 'ultra' VCO. Ray Wilson uses silver mica in his VCO.

And why do I have so many different VCOs?

Yup, forgot about polypropelene. Those are almost as good as polystyrene, and for a VCF they should be just fine. Silver Mica is also good, although they tend to be expensive from what I recall. Remember that a VCO only needs one timing cap, while the Mankato (and other 4-pole filters) need four timing caps.

You have so many VCOs because they're cool and they make noise! However, I'll provide my address if you feel you have too many. Wink

Tim (can you ever have too many VCOs?) Servo
davebr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I bought SMT 1K tempco's a Digikey and mounted two directly on the SSM2164. Details at
http://modularsynthesis.com/magicsmoke/mse.htm

ENDIF wrote:

My magnificent blue slab arrived a few days ago, and I'm currently knee deep in building it, just gotta find me a 2k tempco.. pesky things.
softfin

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: SSM2164s Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm about to start populating two Mankato boards, but noticed that my stock of SSM2164 chips is running low...only 1 left.
So, if anyone knows a good source (preferably in Europe) where to get these for a decent price, please drop a message Smile
etaoin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

davebr wrote:
I bought SMT 1K tempco's a Digikey and mounted two directly on the SSM2164. Details at

Is using two 1k tempcos where a 2k tempco is specified possible in general? I have plenty of 1k tempco's, but no 2k tempco's left.

Usine Karate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just received boards, they look really good, thanks!

Was just wondering if it would be possible to power the Mankato from a 12v supply? And if so what, if any, modifications would be necessary, I noticed that Bugbrand (if you're out there) was running his from 12v, any ideas on modifications?

Ta!
davebr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just finished my Mankato module. Wow, what a lot of range. I'll have to decide whether to leave it or perhaps trim it down a bit. I used a Stooge bracket for the PCB, Loffink chiclets for the potentiometers, FPE panel, and Vishay 149/248 potentiometers. You can just see the SMT tempcos on the SSM2164. What a neat design. Now to go play ...

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

davebr wrote:
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Thomas Henry,

If you are out there........
I'm also a 19" rack panel head. Have you designed a 19" rack panel for the Mankato filter? I'd be curious to see your design as I imagine others on the forum would. Gotta milk as much input before you're back to class!

Hey Antman,

Thomas is out there - really out there, in fact. He's in Kansas on vacation, and I expect him to drop by here in an hour or two. I've met with him the last couple of nights, and it's been a really enjoyable experience. I'll ask him about the panel design - I bet he's got one.

There should be time for that before the townspeople get him properly tarred, feathered, and mounted on the rail Laughing

Take care,
Scott

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Etaoin wrote:
davebr wrote:

Is using two 1k tempcos where a 2k tempco is specified possible in general? I have plenty of 1k tempco's, but no 2k tempco's left.

yes, i think so, and using 3300ppm would be even better that 3500 FWIK.

Evan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
yes, i think so, and using 3300ppm would be even better that 3500 FWIK.

So, in general, the lower the ppm value, the better?

There are some 3000ppms (I think) available locally.
sneakthief

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the theoretical ideal for a thermistor in a VCO is 3300ppm.
Thomas Henry

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Antman,

antman49443 wrote:

I'm also a 19" rack panel head. Have you designed a 19" rack panel for the Mankato filter? I'd be curious to see your design as I imagine others on the forum would. Gotta milk as much input before you're back to class!

I did do a panel three years ago for the prototype. I searched my decrepit computer, but only found a corrupted file for it. So I guess the answer is "no." Sorry.

Say, when I was traveling the byways of Kansas last week it occurred to me that we crossed paths a decade ago. I finally placed the name with the project. You were working on a standalone Soundblaster unit for MIDI use. I remember I was absolutely swamped keeping MAP afloat and wasn't able to follow up on your ideas. Anyway, is that still a good project, or has time evaporated the surplus market for what you were doing? It sounds really neat.

Thomas Henry
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: TH-201 "Mankato" PCBs available
Subject description: 12V Mankato

Usine Karate wrote:
Just received boards, they look really good, thanks!

Was just wondering if it would be possible to power the Mankato from a 12v supply? And if so what, if any, modifications would be necessary, I noticed that Bugbrand (if you're out there) was running his from 12v, any ideas on modifications?

Ta!

Hey There,

Yes, you can run a Mankato on ±12V. The output levels will be lower (when oscillating, the sines will probably be closer to ±4V than ±5V), but that will be the most noticeable effect. Also, I would definitely not use PT1 and PT2 on a 12V system (replace them with jumpers or ferrites). They'll drop the supply rails to the chip too low. I think the V/Oct trim will still have enough range, so you're okay there. Of course, as with any system, you don't want to accidentally run a 15V signal into it because that could potentially damage the op amps.

Hope this helps!

Tim (Mankato wrangler) Servo
vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Tim,

Have you replenished your board stock for the Mankato filter?

R.
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: TH-201 "Mankato" PCBs available
Subject description: Board stock

vtl5c3 wrote:
Hi Tim,

Have you replenished your board stock for the Mankato filter?

R.

Accoording to Fed Ex tracking, they should be here Friday / Monday. This incoming batch is half sold out, so that leaves us about 25 boards. If you've already placed an order, then you're all set. Hopefully I will still have a few to sell at AH Cali in a few weeks!

Tim (not bored of boards) Servo
Usine Karate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: TH-201 "Mankato" PCBs available
Subject description: 12V Mankato

Also, I would definitely not use PT1 and PT2 on a 12V system (replace them with jumpers or ferrites).

Very Happy

Thanks for the info Tim. That works out well for me cos I have no idea what these are! I'll stick some ferrites in and see how she blows.
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: TH-201 "Mankato" PCBs available
Subject description: 2K tempcos available

By the way,

Magic Smoke has ordered a whole big buncha 2K tempcos and they'll be here next week!

They are 2K 1/4W 2% 3500ppm... in case you were wondering Wink

The prices are:
1 $3.50 +shipping (see below)
2 to 5 $3.00ea +shipping
5 or more $2.75ea +shipping

Shipping for any quantity up to 10 pieces is $1.50US/Canada, $2.50 EU/UK/Australia. If you order up to 10 pieces with a Mankato PCB, then the shipping will the same as the board alone. If you need more than 10 pieces, drop us a line and we'll figure it out. As always, we take PayPal to magsmoke@gmail.com. Thanks for the bandwidth, now get back to soldering!

Tim (or get back to breadboarding) Servo
Coriolis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now THAT is a good deal!
Can you add some to my pcb order (assuming you haven't sent the boards to day)?

C
3vcos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks like the BOM for the filter is gone and its not on the website. I'd like to have a look before I buy a Mankato. Any chance of reposting it?
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: TH-201 "Mankato" PCBs available
Subject description: 2K Tempcos

Coriolis wrote:
Now THAT is a good deal!
Can you add some to my pcb order (assuming you haven't sent the boards to day)?

C

Absolutely! Just got the new batch of boards, so they'll start shipping in the next few days. Just PayPal us for how many Rs you want (cost of the Rs only, the shipping is no extra cost when included with a board order).

And thanks!

And VERY GLAD E-M IS BACK UP!

Tim (just a happy kind of guy) Servo
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: TH-201 "Mankato" PCBs available
Subject description: TH-201 Rev03 BOM

3vcos wrote:
Looks like the BOM for the filter is gone and its not on the website. I'd like to have a look before I buy a Mankato. Any chance of reposting it?

No problemo. Here is the Parts List for Rev03 Mankato boards. Let me know if you have any questions.

Tim (da BOM) Servo

(edited 21-August for suggested value of C15)

TH-201-03-Parts List.pdf
 Description:
Mankato Rev03 Parts List 21-August-2007

Download
 Filename:  TH-201-03-Parts List.pdf
 Filesize:  592.95 KB
 Downloaded:  404 Time(s)

Last edited by Tim Servo on Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
fonik

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i am populating the PCB tonight and stumbled over C15. the BOM states three values for that cap: 10pf, 15pf or even 22pf. what is that about? should i stay with the 10pf as for the other caps?
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: TH-201 "Mankato" PCBs available
Subject description: C15 value

fonik wrote:
i am populating the PCB tonight and stumbled over C15. the BOM states three values for that cap: 10pf, 15pf or even 22pf. what is that about? should i stay with the 10pf as for the other caps?

My bad! That SHOULD say "optional, can use 10pF." Thomas' original design had a 22pF in that position, but I haven't noticed any difference with a 10pF in there. This allows you to buy one less part value. I'll fix that and repost the BOM. Thanks!

Tim (fixin' the BOM, Boss!) Servo
fonik

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for your quick reply, tim.

next question: if i'd decided to use only 4 outputs of the mankato, which one would you recommend from a personal point of view? maybe somebody already mentioned this but i probably missed it.

Tim Servo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: TH-201 "Mankato" PCBs available
Subject description: Pick 4 outputs

fonik wrote:
thanks for your quick reply, tim.

next question: if i'd decided to use only 4 outputs of the mankato, which one would you recommend from a personal point of view? maybe somebody already mentioned this but i probably missed it.

Well, my original ProtoMankato (Mankatus Tweakus Originalus) features the 12, -12, 24 and -24 outs. Great sound, and I get quadrature sines if I need them. The outputs are like this:
-12dB = 0°
-24dB = 90°
12dB = 180°
24dB = 270°

If you really want a more "electronic" sound you could also chose to use the 6dB and 18dB outputs instead:
6dB = 0°
18dB = 90°
-6dB = 180°
-18dB = 270°

Personally, I'd go with the first option. Of course, if you don't care about using the quadrature sine wave outs, then just pick the 6, 12, 18 and 24 outs. You can still use the Mankato as a VCLFO, but the phases would be:
6dB = 0°
12dB = 225°
18dB = 90°
24dB = 315°

With this setup, you could use external inverters with the 0 and 90 degree outs to get quadrature sines if you really needed them. Might be a pretty attractive option in a modular.

So the final answer is - it depends on how you're going to use the Mankato. Smile

Tim (working all the angles) Servo
Page 3 of 7 [156 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: