electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
I need OSX help...
Page 2 of 2 [50 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I was learning TCP/IP in the late 70s.

I didn't have my first computer even at those days, let alone any networking :-)

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
myfirst computer

my first computer:
arrow COMMODORE VIC 20

Last edited by seraph on Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My first computer was the IMSAI 8080. Programmed in machine language with toggle switches. Lots of fun...

http://oldcomputers.net/imsai8080.html

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Apple II+ + the zx80 kit
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After the IMSAI 8080 I got a Sol. http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=344&st=1

http://www.digibarn.com/collections/systems/sol-20/index.html

Then came the Neutronics (can't even find a picture of one on the internet) and then an Apple 2.

In the mid-80 I was lucky enough to get an AT&T Unix PC. http://unixpc.taronga.com/

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

I still have that one. It's gotta be a collectors item.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by mosc on Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

computer wise, i was very lucky growing up (born in 69)

i went to a "good" school system, and we had comodore pets starting around 5th grade. i had a teacher who brought in his own apple 2+ and stayed after school to teach us to program in basic...there were a few other apple 2's around the school, and i had a couple of friends who had them as well.

i wanted a zx81 in the worst way when i was 13 (especially the kit)..i never got it (a friend had one i played with a lot), but did end up with an original ibm pc when they first came out (the barebones version with 16k, no floppy drive, and a generic monochrome monitor. we put in the additional ram (chips into sockets that were already on the main board) to 64k, installed first one, than 2 5.25" floopy drives (then upgraded the first to double sided). i used this machine until my senior year in college (i remember using ms word 6 from 2 floppy drives).

i also was lucky enough to have a father in the high tech/defense research industry. as a child i often was able to be around seriosly high tech stuff...computers, antenna arrays (an early memory is being at some opening ceremony for the haystack observatory)
http://www.haystack.mit.edu/

i have a few old beaties around...not sure what to do with all of them.

timex sinclair 1000 (got it cheap with accesories....i really wish i had the speech synthesizer that was made for it). this doesn't take up very much room, so it is a good conversation piece.

fairlight 2x....i have everything but the monitor (including manuals, the midi and the analog interface boards and a new lightpen). part of me wants to resurect this thing (it was given to me by a friend), but i really wish i could get away from the 8" floppies. there is a guy in england who probably has a way to retrofit 3.5" drives, but it is untested on a 2x, and i'm too far away to use my unit as a test (if anyone has any advice on this, i'd love to hear it).

i also have a mac 8100, an avid 8100, the newertech g3 expansion, a bunch of old digidesign cards and interfaces. i could set one up with the 4 channel protools setup and put it in a closet for straight recording...but i'm just not sure it's worth the effort (considering what i could do with more modern gear, it's size, noise, etc). i have a bunch of audiomedia 2 cards (rca analog/digital digidesign boards for nubus)...if anyone has a need for any of this, let me know.

blah blah blah....i'm trying to completely overhaul the studio and make it more functional for me...
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Commodore 64...then Apple IIe...then Atari 'Mega' ST..power mac 7200..

all past loves hehe

is this OT now ? hehe
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I never got a C64 but was close. It was a favorite of radio hams.

This is OT but I'm glad because it was starting to veer off into the Apple/Windows pissing contest again. I don't care for that even if sometimes there are real things to discuss in that department.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Apple II+ + the zx80 kit

haha- me too (almost) Apple IIe + ZX81 kit Very Happy

My brother was/ is a LOT better at hacking than me- I'm far too 'holistic' in my approach Wink

I used to enjoy playing 'Lemonade' on the IIe- but that was about it. Sussex Uni threw out all the IIe's and bought BBC micro's- hence how we got one.

I really don't like computers that much. I prefer that they are built into and actual product- which is the way they are now going (slowly, but thankfully!)

Carlo, if I spent more time reading and studying this forum- I wouldn't have time for anything else!! Wink

- I was in the Welsh Mountains this weekend gone- fairly near Porth Merrion too, visiting friends. It was absolutely lovely. Now I'm back in this scum-hole called Birmingham- oh well......... Sad

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

Carlo, if I spent more time reading and studying this forum- I wouldn't have time for anything else!! Wink

I definitely agree with you Laughing

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
This is OT but I'm glad because it was starting to veer off into the Apple/Windows pissing contest again.

too right Smile Anyway Mac OS and Windows are dead afaic!- This is where it's at;

http://www.ubuntu.com/

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ubuntu - I haven't seen that one before. Looks good though. This is what Linux need to become popular on the desktop - that and applications...
brinxmat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My first computer: BBC Model B, 32k RAM, 32k Rom.

----Non-sequiturs

IMO: Rendezvous takes up a lot of the slack left by non-AppleTalk printer sharing.

AppleTalk/AFP/AppleShare is quite serviceable under x86 *NIX with netatalk and Webmin to do the management. I had a nice Brownhat server with this on it. Funny, because it was more stable than Samba.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I vaguely remember Rendezvous so I naturally looked on Goggle and got sent here http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bonjour/

Looks like there has been a name change... Shocked

Bonjour...

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://images.apple.com/macosx/pdf/MacOSX_Bonjour_TB.pdf

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
brinxmat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I vaguely remember Rendezvous so I naturally looked on Goggle and got sent here http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bonjour/

Looks like there has been a name change... Shocked

Bonjour...

Yeah, Rendezvous was already TM-ed to TIBCO, or something like that.

Rendez…Sorry Bonjour (bahn-jewer? in Stevetalk) is basically ZeroConf with a stoo-pitt name.

Anyway, working with the only OS X box on a totally Windows network, I can honestly say that Rendez…sorry Bonjour is a lifesaver. Printer selection pointers are really quite good.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bonjour - Facinating. "And it uses the standard, ubiquitous IP networking protocol for its connections, the same protocol that runs the internet itself. Indeed, all of the technologies driving Bonjour are open and part of the standards creation process of the IETF, as is Bonjour itself."

Do a search on the Bonjour PDF document for NFS and you find zero references. Shocked

I guess communications over IP is enough claim that "Bonjour simplifies traditional networking activities like file sharing and printing.", as long as all of the nodes are running OSX.

brinxmat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funny: NFS support is available through the command line, and maybe through tools on later versions of OS X (I have 10.2.Cool.

As to Bonjour and NFS, there is a service called:

Network File System (NFS)

Service type: _nfs._tcp

Description: The Finder browses for NFS servers starting in Mac OS X 10.2.

(Source: Technical QA1312)

Seems that Apple's diddy brochure doesn't tell the juice & biscuits brigade everything. Dumbing down to "…Bonjour does not introduce networking protocols, but rather relies on open, industry-standard protocols like AFP, SMB, IPP, and HTTP…" means not listing other, supported protocols than the most common ones. By "most common", I assume "most common for home users", and no this wouldn't include NFS.

Is anyone wondering why Apple will never have a foothold in the business market?

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, the Apple RAID hardware is actually doing quite well in business installations here in the USA. It's not necessarily OSX, but it is Apple nonetheless.
brinxmat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Well, the Apple RAID hardware is actually doing quite well in business installations here in the USA. It's not necessarily OSX, but it is Apple nonetheless.

I don't think that the Apple RAID is quite so popular over here.

Apple hardware is quite nice, as I said before. It's a shame about OS X (especially Server), because it should have been really good. Unfortunately, it isn't. Too much OS 9, too little NeXT.

The RAID array is cute: nice price with nice specs. It is certainly better than the competition. Running Yellow Dog Linux.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

..not the software raid.. Howard is thinking XRAID.. the hardware box. A wonderful device.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wash your mouth
use soap

and you are not allowed to make drawings of Stever Jobs

and upgrade your 10.2

You hear!!!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
brinxmat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
wash your mouth
use soap

They made us do that for swearing at school; we cried. Not nice.

elektro80 wrote:

and you are not allowed to make drawings of Stever Jobs

I have done so before, and I will continue to do so. While the comb-over fooled no-one, he now looks quite, quite mad. This deserves drawing.

elektro80 wrote:

and upgrade your 10.2

This is unlikely to happen; OS X is rapidly descending into a tepid pool of rancid phlegm of its own making. It is clawing back OS 9 and all of the poop we hated. 10.2 was the last decent release.

I migrating to FreeBSD with GNUStep. I will soon also live in a small purple caravan on the Isle of White with a cellist in a tank top called Trevor.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

brinxmat wrote:
I will soon also live in a small purple caravan on the Isle of White with a cellist in a tank top called Trevor.

Be sure to bring your Gong vinyls and some naughty slippers. Not necessarily in that order.

and don´t forget the soap
military issue should do

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A most excellent rig: http://datn.wisc.edu/about/

Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 2 of 2 [50 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Jump to: