electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Relationship of Minimalism to Electronics? (any good refs?)
Page 1 of 2 [49 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Relationship of Minimalism to Electronics? (any good refs?)
Subject description: Is there an intrinsic relationship between Minimalism and Electronic Music?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What is the primary relationship between musical Minimalism and Electronic Music? Also, any recommended readings on Minimalism? Prendergast's *The Ambient Century* is OK as far as it goes, but I'd like some technical reading on Minimalism without getting immediately dumped into derived or fused flavors of music. Looking for perceptual and aesthetic DNA here, not corpses, because I like to do my own derivations and fusions.

I've been a casual listener for a while, but I finally want to do a serious study aimed at composition. I've read Reich's "Music as a Gradual Process" (copy at http://www.columbia.edu/ccnmtl/draft/ben/feld/mod1/readings/reich.html), and it doesn't seem to me that there's anything fundamentally electro about this. There are certainly a lot of acoustic only performances of Minimalist music. I think the answer is that there is a subset of electronic instrument capabilities that overlap with Reich's process mechanisms. For example, in finger picking the long neck Tubaphone tone ring banjo that's getting me into this in a practical sense (long sustains, rings like a bell, allows hammer-ons from open to the 12th fret and higher for big intervallic interplays, more like a harp than bluegrass), I am begining to find ways to make transitions that are based on gradually morphing the microstructure of how I am picking -- accents, sequence patterns, interlaced pairs of harmonies, bring macro patterns like AABA down to the level of individual phrases and notes, etc. etc. -- that over time covers some distance, but without structural leaps of over-reliance on cliches. It's like taking a walk -- one step at a time, the scenary changes gradually, and over time you cover some serious ground. Compared to some other approaches to composition, it also seems like composing through a microscope. By morphing the microstructure of what you are playing, over time you can morph the macrostructure.

So, if that a fair novice's description of Minimalist composition, what is the inherent relationship, if any, to electronics? Coming from an acoustic string finger picking background (as well as 1 life as an electronics tech and a later one as a computer scientist), it seems if acoustic morphing of the patterns of accents, intervals, etc. over time is the grist of Minimalist composition, then electronics should fundamentally be used to do similar things - gradual morphs of the acoustic structure, not wholesale importation of technology or fusion with other styles as a primary step. Echoes, delays, loops etc. that gradually morph acoustic playing would certainly fit this strategy. Maybe other electronic approaches that are not in the standard arsenal as well.

Thanks. Dale

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome to the forum, Dale.

I think you more or less answered your own question.

Electronic instruments have an ability to be programed in one way or another for gradual changes over time. So, they may be exceptionally well suited for minimalist music, but maybe not. Most of the minimalist music I've heard is for acoustic instruments.

As for books, check out the electro-music.com affiliate amazon.com store. (I'm just starting to set this up.) I set up a page just for minimalism, just for you. Very Happy

arrow http://electro-music.com/astore.php?node=3

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Howard. Your list of references is way better than the list I came up with Saturday morning. Does electro-music get a percentage if I order through the electro-music.com affiliate amazon.com store? I had already ordered Steve Reich's Writings on Music, 1965-2000, at that point, but if EM gets a hit for clicking through, I'll make sure to click through.

When I get something decent together on the banjo I'll come up & give you a sample. Got another axe in May to bring along, too. Lots of sonic variations in these things, despite the stereotypes. Take care.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, we will get a commission if you click through and the cost to you is the same. A win/win if there ever was one.

This minimalist movement stuff never got me. I mean, the music of Erik Satie is minimalist as is the some of the music of Pachobel. I've even heard some J. S. Bach music that would be called minimalistic - even boring.

I think the "minimalists" take things beyond the usual 8, 12 or 16 bars for phrases (for want of a better term). The phrases are made up of very short 1 or 2 bar motifs (for want of a better term). Thus, the listener begins to loose the expectation of change, and when changes come, no matter how minimal, they are often unexpected, but never surprising.

Nicholas Slonimsky once told me it was like listening to a washing machine or an air conditioner. I've always loved old washing machines. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

I think the "minimalists" take things beyond the usual 8, 12 or 16 bars for phrases (for want of a better term). The phrases are made up of very short 1 or 2 bar motifs (for want of a better term). Thus, the listener begins to loose the expectation of change, and when changes come, no matter how minimal, they are often unexpected, but never surprising.

Nicholas Slonimsky once told me it was like listening to a washing machine or an air conditioner. I've always loved old washing machines. Wink

Does the above make listening to a dorm fridge a minibar?

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Acoustic Interloper wrote:

Does the above make listening to a dorm fridge a minibar?

:groan: Mad

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

The phrases are made up of very short 1 or 2 bar motifs (for want of a better term). Thus, the listener begins to loose the expectation of change, and when changes come, no matter how minimal, they are often unexpected, but never surprising.

Going back to the 'taking a walk' metaphor, it seems like good minimalism would entrain attention on the little steps being taken, only to reveal surprise when looking back over terrain (mountains, forests) crossed. That would take referring back to earlier formations later in the piece, to force one's attention out of the microdomain of the piece and out to the macrodomain. I certainly don't get bored listening to A Rainbow in Curved Air, which I've seen labeled as minimalist. Of course the flip side to this would be walking in circles and going nowhere. Presumably minimalism gets abused. Modal jazz certainly gets abused in the interest of safe improvisation.

kijjaz

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For me, electronic music were started in some more laboratoric settings..
scientist / researchers trying some new electronic gadgets
and hear some signals out..

But those were not firstly as controllable as traditional music instruments .. for creating musical (not so hard to listen to) things.

So one way of thinking might be very useful for playing with these gadgets creatively:
Letting go.. listening.. and let the body flow..
Not like playing actual notes from traditional score..

And I guess that somehow reflect some part of minimalistic nature.

It's just my opinion ^_^ I don't know that deep in psychology,
but it is what i guess from reading about late electronic music works and experiments.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dewdrop_world

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All this talk of minimalism inspired me to dial up Music in Twelve Parts on my iPod.

If Mosc doesn't behave, we can grab him at EM2008, strap him onto a hospital gurney, and force him to listen to all 3 1/2 hours at one go. shakng2 help

No, that's too cruel. I can't quite make it through the whole thing in one sitting myself.

James

cbm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any school of music will have some good and some bad composers/pieces.
Composers I like here are most Terry Riley, most Steve Reich, and some La Monte Young, Philip Glass and John Adams.

Some of the early Terry Riley pieces exhibit the most minimalism / electronics crossover, e.g "Rainbow in Curved Air", "Poppy Nogood".

If you don't like those two pieces, and Reich's "Music for 18 Musicians" holds no charm for you, then I think you might as well put minimalism aside for a while.
cbm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As a footnote, I incorporated some of Steve Reich's phase ideas in a Max/MSP based performance interface I'm working on: http://www.xfade.com/Gyre
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cbm, Chris, I just check out your web site - because of the above link. Fab. I love it, even the photos of all those doggies. Very Happy

It looks like you did quite a great job on your program, Gyre.

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dewdrop_world wrote:

If Mosc doesn't behave, we can grab him at EM2008, strap him onto a hospital gurney, and force him to listen to all 3 1/2 hours at one go. shakng2 help

James

Already on the lookout for a suitable old washing machine, at least for sampling.

Perhaps we could do a number combining minimalist structure built on small-interval microtonal pitch relationships. Micromalism? The bad news is that it becomes boring, but the good news is that you cannot tell.

cbm wrote:
Any school of music will have some good and some bad composers/pieces.
Composers I like here are most Terry Riley, most Steve Reich, and some La Monte Young, Philip Glass and John Adams.

Some of the early Terry Riley pieces exhibit the most minimalism / electronics crossover, e.g "Rainbow in Curved Air", "Poppy Nogood".

If you don't like those two pieces, and Reich's "Music for 18 Musicians" holds no charm for you, then I think you might as well put minimalism aside for a while.

Oh yeah, I love *In C* and the above 2 Riley pieces, and ordered a copy of 18 Musicians last weekend, and also have listened to Glass for a long time. Glass even played an all acoustic gig at a small church 10 minutes from my house in the sticks a few years ago, maybe 24 people in the audience. He gets around. He did a performace of Koyaanisqatsi in an IMAX showing of the film in Harrisburg, about 90 minutes from here, a couple years ago, but I was out of town. Would have liked to heard/seen that.

What triggered the initial post is what triggers many of my questions, i.e., how do I play this stuff on the banjo? Not such an odd question. For example, when I started listening to modal jazz a few years ago, I heard the harmonic connections to modal Appalachian mountain music right away, and in the process saw a way to change the right handed picking style usually used on modal mountain music (rhythmic back of fingernails brushing, with thumb up picks on off-beat on the pedal point 5th string, called 'frailing' or 'clawhammer') to a right hand 3 finger up picking style that modifies bluegrass picking by a) injecting jazz swing into the finger pattern timings (I had to analyze this on the computer to see what I was actually playing -- if I slowed it down I lost it -- there have been a number of swing timing computer studies on other instruments), and b) moving the pedal point to strings other than the 5th, which is almost impossible to do if you are frailing with brush strokes, but very easily done with up picking, which does not brush. Wound up with a hybrid modal way of playing that became my mainstay, that slips readily into either 'genre.'

So I have started to notice aspects of this finger picking approach that would work with minimalism, and it's now gone from a casual listening to a performance question, i..e., serious work. There of a lot of things one can morph over time at the micro level of finger picking. The basic finger patterns, the placement of accents in a given pattern, which particular strings get picked in a given cycle of a finger pattern, which of those strings get clean picks versus the possible combinations of hammers, pulls, slides, chokes, chimed harmonics and noise fingerings, the sequence of a particular cell of notes, etc. I have one banjo in particular that whispers ideas to me. It has a bell like basic tonality with long sustain, lots of harmonics, that suggests echoes and delays and rounds in its basic, acoustic sound. Given the above aspects of picking that lend themselves to minimalist morphing, the electro question is, "How might processing extend this intrinsic aspect of the instrument?" I am going to start out with some basic signal processing on the audio signal. I have not used either Live or MAX yet, although I am thinking that one of these may be what I want to use. (suggestion on either?) At the micro level I basically want to extend the ringing, sustaining aspect of this instrument, along with extending the opportunities for time-based processing such as echoes and delays afforded by the modulo timing of finger picking. For that I need to learn a new tool.

At the macro level, which I think is what determines a big part of boring versus surprising/interesting, I think the composition lays the bedrock for that. The first composition I have in mind definitely has a couple personalities in different parts, some inspired by things like Riley's music, and at least one inspired by factory machine music from a Bjork movie that my daughter owns. (I have worked in factories.) I think the electro part of this macro structure may be bell-like sonic patches, later factory-machine-like sonic patches, built on top of the micro, primarily rhythmic infrastructure. It's all at a conceptual stage except for the composition, which I am working on daily.

So, suggestions on tools for taking mic'd banjo (or other acoustic instrument) and extending its intrinsic sonics would be useful. Software seems more promising than effects boxes and dedicated loopers.

This discussion reminds me of a David Byrne concert that my daughter and I attended in 2004. There was a string section of 2 violins, a viola and cello, in addition to the acoustic+electric band. At one point in one number the string section went through the most astounding emulation of classic synthesizer sounds I have ever heard, and I am certain that they did it all with bowing, etc. technique, not electronics. They basically took the approach of trying to make a synth sound like a conventional 'instrument' and turned it on its head. It was both very funny and beautiful, but almost as soon as I realized what had happened -- the first impression being that one was hearing synths, and only *then* realizing it was the string section -- they had popped back out of this mode and gone back to being a string section. It's always nice to hear sonic surprises out of classic acoustic instrument configurations.

cbm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Howard - Thanks for the kind words about Gyre. I'm trying to create a Max/MSP - Buchla 200e environment for composing and improvising. Some days I'm pleased at what I can pull off right now, other days I'm swamped with a stark realization of how far I have yet to go.
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think minimalism and electronic music began out of necessity. The first electronic music instruments, as mentioned, were simple, and somewhat uncontrollable. Not to mention rare, expensive, unreliable, etc. The only way they COULD be used was in a minimalist manner. Since then, it's either tradition that's maintained, or the love of "that one sound", entraining a listener to hear that single sound that they may have never heard before. And playing complex & layered scores doesn't usually give our attention the room it needs to focus on the sound itself. It the way the progression may evolve that sound.
rbedgar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Minimalism
Subject description: Sources
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My two centavos...

Minimalist strategies came about in several media around the same time.
In art, the 1950s introduced abstract expressionism, which brought to prominence paint over visual separation of forms, and surfaces that were busy and noisy. Minimal visual forms started showing up more often, first within an abstract expressionist brushstroke, and later with the brush stroke disappearing. In sculpture Don Judd and Carl Andre and others got attention for sculpture comprising a matrix of metal squares or a row of boxes. In came conceptual art where many artists tried to get single ideas to float above simple constructs. And process art, where artists produced pieces where the trace or map of their creation was the subject of the piece. Steve Reich had some early examples of process works, including a composition generated by a line of microphones swinging on long cables over a spatially fixed sound source (causing phasing patterns).

You'll find the same thing in dance, film, video etc.

At the same time you had an influx of world music recordings getting popularly distributed for the first time...Nonesuch was a big contributer to this. Non-modulating Indian music, polyrhythmic percussion from Bali, Java and Africa, throat singers, and different time scales, such as performances and tribal ceremonies with minimal elements, lasting over a day. There were a lot of compositional strategies that drew attention away from complexities of western forms, and each could be explored in itself.

It was, as they say, in the air. Other chemical substances increased an audience's willingness to listen to tiny audial changes over long periods of time too. However, there are examples of prominent composers who dipped into chemical experimentation but never into minimalism.

My experience, when I travel, is that I can get focused on tiny aspects of a place or practice that I'd not be likely to notice at home. I think this type of thing happened in the late 1960s, and a lot of folks spent time away from the immediate western tradition to make close study (some might say myopic) of newly introduced phenomena.

Personally, I think most of it has been mixed back in the stew...Reich and others whose early work was stark now have increased the frequency of change quite a bit, as well as the range of timbres used etc. And while minimalism is a compositional option, it is no longer one available outside of western tradition.

The present day composer refuses to sleep...
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

My daughter Sierra, who is going into her fourth year as a creative writing major at U. New Mexico, is home for 2 weeks, and brought a sample of some work from poetry and fiction writing courses. Near the top was a non-poetry fiction exercise she wrote entitled "Ordinary Machinery," about someone getting lost in trance listening to the machines in the house resonating and communicating with each other. How cool is that? The air conditioner made the list; no old washing machines, unfortunately. We only get to see each other a few times a year, so it's not that she knew I was starting to look into minimalism in a serious way.

What is even cooler is this paragraph at the end of the short exercise:

"She imagined that she was stretching time out, prolonging a minute. It was almost as if she could hold one end of it in her teeth as she counted, tapping fingers gripping the other end, and stretch it out like bland ribbons of taffy, never breaking."

It lines up almost precisely with Steve Reich's outline for a piece from September, 1967:

"SLOW MOTION SOUND
Very gradually slow down a recorded sound to many times its original length without changing its frequency or spectrum at all." (Writings on Music, 1965-2000, p. 2Cool

which he couldn't perform with available technology until many years later because of the frequency/spectrum constraint:

"In *Three Tales*, I was also able to finally realize an idea that had just been a concept piece, since it was impossible back in the 1960's; *Slow Motion Sound*. It's the exact equivalent of slow motion in video or film. I slow the speech or other sound down to many times its original length *without changing its pitch or timbre*. (p. 239)

So, coming from almost no exposure to minimalism and none to Reich, *Ordinary Machinery* integrates the air conditioner aspect of minimalism with the time stretching. Always nice to be riding the same wavelength with my kid from 2000 miles away. Almost needless to say, I've recorded her reading this piece, and you might guess one of my processing plans for the sample.

In a 1970 essay *Some Optimistic Predictions about the Future of Music*, Reich opens with this sentence:

"Electronic music as such will gradually die and be absorbed into the ongoing music of people singing and playing instruments" (p. 51)

He follows with some accurate predictions about structural fusion of world music. What's interesting is that in a preface to this essay, written in 2000, he says, "These predictions (which 30 years later seem to have proven correct) ..."

I assume by correct he is talking about electronics dying out of composition of 'classical music.' Is that what he means? Of course we have counterexamples to that right from EM 2006 & 2007. But is it the case that the initiative for 'art music' has largely gone away from electronic instruments? Not my field; I'm a folky looking to borrow ideas. I think Reich's proposal here and elsewhere that the minimalists used electronics fundamentally as a source of ideas for application increasingly to acoustic instruments is an alternative or additional perspective to this:

jksuperstar wrote:
I think minimalism and electronic music began out of necessity. The first electronic music instruments, as mentioned, were simple, and somewhat uncontrollable. Not to mention rare, expensive, unreliable, etc. The only way they COULD be used was in a minimalist manner. Since then, it's either tradition that's maintained, or the love of "that one sound", entraining a listener to hear that single sound that they may have never heard before. And playing complex & layered scores doesn't usually give our attention the room it needs to focus on the sound itself. It the way the progression may evolve that sound.

Necessity, yes, but it appears they (or at least Reich) used it primarily as a catalyst for composition, not primarily for performance, and wouldn't have been inclined towards more extensive use of electronic processing even if the technology had been capable.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just found this radiom.org site run by Charles Amirkhanian. A great resource for experimental music. Here is a concert by Steve Reich and friends in Berkeley, 1991. I remember hearing that on the radio when I was a student at Mills College.

http://radiom.org/detail.php?et=music&omid=C.1971.03.14

cbm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Howard,

Thanks for that Reich link. I was at that concert, and it had a major impact on my musical outlook. It's great to know that it was recorded.

-C
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Possibly totally Off Topic - but perhaps not..

I did find and still find minimalism of interest, but I never felt any need for going there.. at least in the sense of subscribing to "all things the school of minimalism".

Instead I found stuff like this way more inspiring:

Please check out:
Wright, J.K. Auditory Object Perception: Counterpoint in a New Context. ( 1986 )

Uh.. more related.. to the proposed comosing/interaction/performance machine thingie suggested in other threads here..
( I know this is a bit dated but it is still entertaining ):

Music Analysis by Computer: A Field for Theory Formation - Bo H. Alphonce

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the references. I used to have to balance family, job, music, and outddor activities. Now I've got to add a good growing reading list! Almost done with Reich's book; Auditory Object Perception sounds promising.
elektro80 wrote:
Possibly totally Off Topic - but perhaps not..
I did find and still find minimalism of interest, but I never felt any need for going there.. at least in the sense of subscribing to "all things the school of minimalism".

I don't know that anybody is a 'pure' minimalist. It certainly gives some well structured symmetries to break, for those of us inclined to break symmetries as well as follow them. The most useful thing for me about Reich's book is his technical discussion of the use of rounds (canons), gradual delay, and discrete delay as compositional techniques. The reason this is interesting to me is that finger picked guitar or banjo (or harp if only I could!) uses very cyclic picking hand patterns to outline the composition, with variations in accents and transitional notes such as slides-hammers-pulls-chokes adding texture to what otherwise might become very mechanistic. Some of Reich's transformations work extremely well for finger picked folk music. Being a folk musician and not a minimalist, I am looking to steal. It's also useful for me that rather than running off to Bali or Ghana in search of acoustic traditions that employ techniques related to Reich et. al., I can go down to Virgina or North Carolina and tap into a local well. The banjo hails from west Africa, as does much of its syncopated rhythmic aspect, whereas the harmonies are combinations of British Isle folk music and American blues and, at least for bluegrass instrumental breaks, jazz. It was very exiciting and fruitful four or five years ago to uncover structural links between modal mountain music and modal jazz, and now the same is true of cyclic finger picking and minimalism. Whereas the minimalist Reich borrows from folk traditions of other cultures, I'm a folky who is borrowing from Reich.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm a folky who is borrowing from Reich.

Sure sounds like some serious fun! PM me when you have something online somewhere! This I really gotta hear! Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
I'm a folky who is borrowing from Reich.

Sure sounds like some serious fun! PM me when you have something online somewhere! This I really gotta hear! Very Happy

I'm having trouble ftping into my crappy ISP's website. Is there a protocol for putting something up on the electro-music web site? I've got a 2.5 Mbyte early practice run that I cut so my son could work out some bass lines.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy
Try attaching that file to a post.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Very Happy
Try attaching that file to a post.

Duh. Here goes nuthin'.

This is an early sketch. I posted the original question in early July, & just installed & started to learn Live to house this prototype about 10 days ago. I made this MP3 mostly so my son can work out bass accompaniment.

Below are my cryptic notes. My wife is calling me to dinner. The diagram shows eighth note fingering intervals, with accents on the thumb at beat 1, 2.5 and 4. There are fill 8th notes in between with other fingers, and an 8th rest between 4 and 1 since my thumb hits twice in a row. the mp3 file has only quarter note delays, which cause delayed accents to line up on beat 1, which is easy for me to entrain when playing. Whenever there is a multiple of 3 eighth notes in the delay, I lose focus, which I plan to use to good effect, but not in this sample.

Better will come (I hope).

Besides the modulo delays, Reich has used incremental buildup substituting notes for rests, which I am starting to practice, but that's not in this sample, either. Playing partial patterns at speed is tough!

7/16/2007 8th 8th 8th 8th 8th 8th 8th 8thR

T I M T I M T r
> > >
1! + 2 +! 3 + 4! _

delay 4/16 4! _ 1! + 2 +! 3 + PING PONG LEFT

delay 8/16 3 + 4! _ 1! + 2 +! PING PONG RIGHT

delay 6/16 + 4! _ 1! + 2 +! 3 (more confused than 4/16)
delay 12/16 2 +! 3 + 4! _ 1! +

Tempo 170 ms. per 8th note = 340 ms/beat, 176.47 BPM

Variable pdelay chain has 8 delays; 170 gets you 1 whole measure.

170 85 63.75 42.5 21.25 10.625
(16) (Cool (6) (4) (2) (1)
4 beats 2 beats 1.5 beats 1 beat 1/2 beat 1/4 beat

Last edited by Acoustic Interloper on Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2 [49 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: