electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Discussion » Diversity in electro-music
Vegetarians/Vegans in electro!
Page 3 of 3 [72 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
Any way the question is: Does using a pressure cooker create a softer rice?

It depends if you can control pressure with aftertouch (polyphonic aftertouch, that is!) Wink

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
bbinkovitz

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
As long as there is vegetarian on the line I have a question. I don't like the texture of real brown rice and have stooped to using Uncle Bens (please don't tell any one). Any way the question is: Does using a pressure cooker create a softer rice?

thanks

i have no idea. i recommend switching to couscous.

distro: http://paperisbad.com/
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Couscous, imo, and on its own, is rank. It's like eating dust. Sure you can flavour it with salt and garlic, but it's still rank.

Rice does not bode well in a pressure cooker, as the scum it produces, has a tendency to explode from every orifice whilst cooking!

Eat basmati rice instead (white), if you like soft rice with flavour. Wash it well, then cover with water to about 1/4 of an inch. Bring to the boil, then place a heavy, well filling lid on the top and cook on very, very low, for between 10 and 30 mins (depending on how much of a hurry you are in, and/or if you have pre-soaked the rice before hand). More cooking makes the grains less sticky. Salt to taste. BTW, if you add butter at the beginning of cooking, this makes a lovely rice cake on the base of the pan, which is nice and crunchy. Very Happy

I kinda miss being vegetarian (I still love chana and black cumin curries!) But then, my once vegan wife, no longer tolerates vegetarianism (and nor do my carnivorous children), and when the beef tastes as good as the stuff which is in my freezer at the moment, it's very hard to reconvert! Shocked Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bbinkovitz wrote:
... i recommend switching to couscous.

Thanks, good idea, in fact I recently switched to whole wheat couscous, guess I'll leave it at that.

bbinkovitz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Couscous, imo, and on its own, is rank. It's like eating dust. Sure you can flavour it with salt and garlic, but it's still rank.

what kind of couscous are you eating? you know, you have to cook it first, right? Laughing

sure there's the cheap stuff that comes in tiny grains. you might have better luck with real israeli couscous, which comes in larger beads. cook it in broth with a little olive oil. delish.

bachus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Rice does not bode well in a pressure cooker, as the scum it produces, has a tendency to explode from every orifice whilst cooking!

Thanks for the warning.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bbinkovitz wrote:
you know, you have to cook it first, right? Laughing

Really? Well I never! Rolling Eyes

Couscous is a pain in the arse, because if you uses too much water, it all clags up. It's best steamed, but that can be so much of a faff, that it is better to boil rice! Twisted Evil

Generally it is best to soak the couscous, then it can be steamed or microwave'd. Either way, it tastes like dust.

Happy? Wink

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
v-un-v wrote:

Thanks for the warning.

no problem! Very Happy

Jason

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used to be Vegan for many years, now I am just a vegetable...
But I digress.

I have had really bad tofurky before, but the way I cook it, I really enjoy it.
Roasting with many vegetables and various things can be great for some.
I may end up eating meat soon though as I am not getting what I need and my health has
deteriorated due to not having a balanced diet, which yes one can do being vegan and vegetarian,
but it isn't easy and most people don't do it right anyway even though they think they are.
It takes more effort than most realize or are willing to admit, resulting in half measures. It's not like I am new to this though,
growing up in a diverse family as well as not eating meat for over 20 years now... Balance is important. As they say... check urself

Gratitude
J
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Smoked tofu (although, now, compared to beef, tastes like nowt), is a really good bacon substitute, especially if you fry the FUCK out of it. Adding tamari during the cooking process, and a little sugar, makes it taste wonderful!
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Roasted butternut squash is my current fave! I also love roasted whole garlic bulbs, but it makes your arse smell BAD (and your breath- but is a good prank to play on your office mates! Laughing )
bachus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No matter how hard I try I just can't get into tofu. But every couple of years I order some tempeh culture and make tempeh for a couple of months. It can be very good!
bachus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Smoked tofu is a really good bacon substitute, especially if you fry the FUCK out of it. ... Adding tamari during the cooking process, and a little sugar...

I think you must be limiting the pan temperature to < 350 which caramelizes the sugar. I'll give it a go. All bean products I've ever used tend to taste quite bad if brought to a temperature higher than that which produces even a moderate browning.

bbinkovitz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have heard horrors about Tofurkey, but I have had their franks and brats and they were delicious. There is a vegan hot dog stand in Columbus that sells them and they are quite popular.

I also had Tofurkey slices (hickory smoked flavour) as part of my Thanxday dinner today, and they were quite nice. My mother browned them in a pan with a little Earth Balance for me. On their own they are nothing special, but they are good for putting the cranberry sauce and veg. stuffing and gravy on, which is really what you do with real turkey at Thanxday anyway.

Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
v-un-v wrote:

Thanks for the warning.

Anyone who has not exploded a pressure cooker at some time cannot be a real vegetarian Shocked

We had homemade gluten roast today. Knead the dough for an hour to knit the gluten, soak in water overnight, knead in running water for 15 or so minutes to wash out the starch, brown the skin in a frying pan to establish a membrane, pressure cook for a half hour with onions, garlic and herbs to drive the flavor throughout the gluten, then bread it and bake in the oven. Goes nicely in chili, too.

It's always a hit. The meat eaters in attendance had no complaints at the lack of meat.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I still eat a lot of vegetarian food. A good chef, should always be someone who's started life as a veggie, as they are the ones who can make the bland and mundane, exciting! Very Happy

The best brown rice in my opinion, is short grain. But, it must be cooked correctly, and very slowly, on a very low heat for about 50 minutes. 2 cups of water to each (level) cup of rice.

Of course, procrastinating over what foodstuffs to eat is very much a affluent western middle-class thing, because if you were really hungry, you'd eat anything!

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I procrastinate until I'm too hungry to think, and then I eat Pasta Rosso (spaghetti + ketchup). Sure, it's delicious and contains everything you need, but it gets kind of samey after a while.

/Stefan

pyrosonic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the Tofurkey roast just fine.My friend made 2 at our communal dinner last week.No horrors there.
The Quorn products are pretty good too.They're actually mycoprotein made from shrooms.
I wish my family was as accommodating as yours Beth,my sister in law doesn't do anything special,so I'm limited to a carbo-binge that leaves me in a coma.I usually eat a veggie chicken patty before I leave home.(to her credit,she does make the stuffing outside the bird,and I don't really expect to be catered to anyway)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whorlweaver/133469163426410
bbinkovitz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My cats got ahold of some of the leftover Tofurkey... they love it! They will even fight over it, even if their food bowl is full. If you have any Tofurkey you don't want just send it to them.
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bbinkovitz wrote:
My cats got ahold of some of the leftover Tofurkey... they love it! They will even fight over it, even if their food bowl is full. If you have any Tofurkey you don't want just send it to them.

Our beagle and late pug got in a fight over a fallen lettuce leaf one time

ark

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Acoustic Interloper wrote:
Our beagle and late pug got in a fight over a fallen lettuce leaf one time
Two of our three cats like lettuce. One of them likes it so much that we often have to giver her a lear of two when we make salad or she'll steal it.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had a cat who loved watermelon Exclamation When we had one she was on the table purring like crazy Wink Her name was "Mirandolina" Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Page 3 of 3 [72 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Diversity in electro-music
Jump to: