electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Recommended Synthesizer
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
strms

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Recommended Synthesizer
Subject description: For all around music
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I feel like I'm spamming, but I have so many questions!

I'm looking for a cool synthesizer...I've never had/used one before.

Basically what I want to sound like is....Eliot Lipp, Richard Dean James, autechre, chemical brothers.....royksopp ( www.myspace.com/eliotlipp )

I like to go both extremes. stuff as low as 85 bpm with soft sounds, up to 165 bpm with harsh sounds....

What would be a good synthesizer for this kindve stuff? Recommend one. I don't care how old it is or how much money it costs, I just want to know what to look for.

Very Happy Thanks
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Most of the artists you listed use Max/MSP. Which is software, if you have a computer. Or, the original creator of Max (Miller Puckett) has maintained a free version, which has been open-sourced and works very well called Pd.

There's also a growing following for ChucK, a realtime programming language for music. We have a decent forum here on it as well. If you're into the command-line programming style.

That method of sound creation is difficult, however, if you're just starting out. It requires some knowledge on you're part of what you want to do exactly, so it may be difficult to start off with. But, there is lots of free software out there that can help you get started. kvr-audio.com is a very good place for VST plug-ins. And there are a few free hosts, depending if you've got a PC or MAC...check out the forums in Windows as a workstation, or Linux..., or Mac... for whatever you're poison is. There are a few threads there on good software choices, many of which are free or even open-sourced. Which, if you can't tell already, is one of my interests.

Aside from that, you may look into one of the Korg Electribes, they are great for sequencing stuff and getting some instant gratification...something important, I think, if you're really just getting you're feet wet.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome

Your post is not spam. Very Happy

All that JK said is true. It is rare for a beginner to jump into a Clavia G2, but many people with experience with lots of synthesizers are using them. The thing with the G2, you need to learn how to make and edit patches. But if you do, you really will have a way of making sounds you like. It can be used for virtually any style. On this site there is a very good forum and we have hundreds of user patches for G2 users to download and learn from, or use. Try the G2 demo on the clavia site to see if that makes any sense for you. It may be too much too soon.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Andrew, the G2 is a good place to start- especially as the demo of it, is almost complete, yet is a free download. Then you can save for the hardware version. The Clavia Nord G2 is the best way to go if you lack the funds for a retro modular. DIY isn't a cheap option either really- just loads of fun! Very Happy

http://www.clavia.se/main.asp

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
strms

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, I think I might actually just buy a midi controller now Smile I downloaded a bunch of vst plugins and put them in fl studio and they are awesome! Thanks alot Very Happy
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is very sensible. Have fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
strms

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a casio wk-3000, it has midi out....Could I use this as a midi controller, then I wouldn't have to buy one. http://www.amazon.com/Casio-WK-3000-Professional-Recording-Keyboard/dp/B0000CC8NC

My soundcard doesnt have midi in, but I can buy a midi - usb adapter I suppose.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sure, you can get one for $30 or $40. You need one anyway if you buy another MIDI controller. What you have should work well. It even has keyboard splits, so you can control two instruments. You're almost in business.
strms

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

awesome!
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: